Seriously No Politics ×

Hype for April 2019 Conference

45 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I just watched a live opening of a mission call and same old same old, 24 months speaking Spanish and report to the Mexico MTC

Kid in our ward received his call just two weeks ago... 2 year mission.  Nothing out of the ordinary.

1 hour ago, Jasono said:

I had a friend get his mission call recently and in the letter it said that the length of his mission will be announced in the upcoming gen con. 

A close friend’s daughter is currently serving a mission. Reportedly her companion’s sister’s recent call states where she will be serving, but that the length will be announced in Conference.

2 hours ago, Jasono said:

I had a friend get his mission call recently and in the letter it said that the length of his mission will be announced in the upcoming gen con. 

Seems like this was floating around prior to last conference. It has taken on the earmarks of an urban legend, including refusal to die a quick and merciful death. 

1 hour ago, Wilderland said:

A close friend’s daughter is currently serving a mission. Reportedly her companion’s sister’s recent call states where she will be serving, but that the length will be announced in Conference.

2 hours ago, Jasono said:

Any chance the 2 of you know each other IRL or online? You are both new and posting pretty much the same thing.

2 hours ago, Rain said:

Any chance the 2 of you know each other IRL or online? You are both new and posting pretty much the same thing.

And assuming this is not a prank, did either of you actually see the letter in question or were you just told what it said?

I have a close friend who is the accountant of the barber who does a general authority's hair. He said that starting in April sacrament meeting will be taken in pill form. One pill simulates one inspiring talk, one boring talk, the sacrament with minimal do-overs on the prayers, and three crying babies being taken out to the lobby.

😛

Edited by Gray
6 hours ago, Rain said:

I have no idea if we know each other. I admit I hesitated in posting this as it is essentially 4th hand, and therefore useless. 

No, I have not seen the call, only a text from the missionary. I guess this is an inauspicious introduction to the forum. I’ll slink away.

47 minutes ago, Wilderland said:

I have no idea if we know each other. I admit I hesitated in posting this as it is essentially 4th hand, and therefore useless. 

No, I have not seen the call, only a text from the missionary. I guess this is an inauspicious introduction to the forum. I’ll slink away.

I welcome new people. It's just sometimes we will have new people come in and post something like this and we never hear from them again.  To have 2 of you do the same thing on the same thread at the same time just seems coincidental. 

I just wanted to see where you were coming from, not to run you off.

A kid in my ward opened his call and it stated he’d be called as an apostle, and that him and his companion would be called for a period of 6 days, with their mission being split between Jerusalem and the spirit world. He reports to the MTC next week.

My son received a call a 3 weeks ago and was "anticipated that you will serve 24 months..."  and was told where.  --  Before he got the call he had about two weeks prior put in his papers exactly 120 days before he can go ( he is in school)  which is what you have to  pretty much do as it wont let you put in a date before  then in the actual application.  However, and this is not rumor or hearsay  his best friend who I know ( I am in the YM ) and is on our ward who  went to submit  earlier this week ( just a few weeks later)  no long has the same timetables in place.  He was given new options at the time of submittal.  So something HAS changed already in the last few weeks as far as timetables for anyone who is submitting currently.  The 120 window I can tell you for sure is no longer a requirement or at least wasnt for this missionary.  This is true,  not "enhanced" or anything by me. What does it mean?  I dont know.  

5 hours ago, Wilderland said:

I hope you don't slink too far, we love new members' posts, welcome!

Edited by Tacenda
2 hours ago, TnT said:

he 120 window I can tell you for sure is no longer a requirement or at least wasnt for this missionary.  

If I understand correctly, you are saying they can turn papers in earlier?  Was there a deadline? As in need to turn in by to leave by....

3 hours ago, TnT said:

My son received a call a 3 weeks ago and was "anticipated that you will serve 24 months..."  and was told where.  --  Before he got the call he had about two weeks prior put in his papers exactly 120 days before he can go ( he is in school)  which is what you have to  pretty much do as it wont let you put in a date before  then in the actual application.  However, and this is not rumor or hearsay  his best friend who I know ( I am in the YM ) and is on our ward who  went to submit  earlier this week ( just a few weeks later)  no long has the same timetables in place.  He was given new options at the time of submittal.  So something HAS changed already in the last few weeks as far as timetables for anyone who is submitting currently.  The 120 window I can tell you for sure is no longer a requirement or at least wasnt for this missionary.  This is true,  not "enhanced" or anything by me. What does it mean?  I dont know.  

I just went into the Missionary Recommendation system and the instructions still indicate a 120 day window. This does not disprove it. It could be that that has not changed in that portion of the system. Both Handbooks 1 and 2 have also not been updated to reflect all the recent changes so the church is not super worried about minor discrepancies over recent changes.

5 hours ago, Judd said:

A kid in my ward opened his call and it stated he’d be called as an apostle, and that him and his companion would be called for a period of 6 days, with their mission being split between Jerusalem and the spirit world. He reports to the MTC next week.

An old college friend and I still joke about whether it is time for the two of us to go be the two prophets in Jerusalem. Last month we decided we would give it another year and revisit. :) 

Edited by The Nehor
On 3/20/2019 at 7:19 AM, Wilderland said:

Stay!  :) 

On 3/20/2019 at 7:19 AM, Wilderland said:

I’ll slink away.

Please don't.  One of the great things about this forum is that it ISN'T the "wild west".  While we aren't always great at being civil, that IS the goal.  And we push each other to stay grounded in reality and back up ideas with evidence.  I've learned a lot in my time here even though my intro (years ago) was pretty rough.

I've heard from a couple sources that there could be changes in the WoW where they no longer make coffee/tea items that would exclude you from the temple or from baptism.  Coffee/tea are major hurdles in many areas of the world for individuals interested in joining the church.  I could see a change in this policy where members are still encouraged to exercise wisdom in their choices, but not a situation where drinking some iced tea or a cup of coffee would preclude you membership or access to the temple.  

11 minutes ago, Horker said:

I've heard from a couple sources that there could be changes in the WoW where they no longer make coffee/tea items that would exclude you from the temple or from baptism.  Coffee/tea are major hurdles in many areas of the world for individuals interested in joining the church.  I could see a change in this policy where members are still encouraged to exercise wisdom in their choices, but not a situation where drinking some iced tea or a cup of coffee would preclude you membership or access to the temple.  

I've heard that as well, but not from anyone who has any inside sources.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

On 3/20/2019 at 9:39 AM, Judd said:

What a crappy call

25 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Can anyone imagine an apostle drinking a cup of joe? 

I cant.  But I tell you I’d be running on Monday morning to be first in line.  I think my abstinence will be richly rewarded because it’s so hard for me.  The smell of coffee makes my heart sing ;)

I know there are many who love the taste/smell of coffee.  I'm not among them.  I can't even handle things like mocha ice cream and tiramisu.

If the Brethren were to remove prohibitions against coffee and tea I don't think I"d change anything except that I might try iced tea.  For some reason, that has always appealed to me but I've never tasted it so I've got no idea if I would even enjoy it.

What I'm confident of is that I never want to do anything that could get me hooked on these $6 Starbucks coffee drinks... I don't know how people do that -- my budget couldn't handle it.

37 minutes ago, rockpond said:

I know there are many who love the taste/smell of coffee.  I'm not among them.  I can't even handle things like mocha ice cream and tiramisu.

If the Brethren were to remove prohibitions against coffee and tea I don't think I"d change anything except that I might try iced tea.  For some reason, that has always appealed to me but I've never tasted it so I've got no idea if I would even enjoy it.

What I'm confident of is that I never want to do anything that could get me hooked on these $6 Starbucks coffee drinks... I don't know how people do that -- my budget couldn't handle it.

Yes, I don't really personally see changing things much if at all. Several years ago I felt like I should give up caffeinated soda and my kidney functions got so much better I could haven't missed it. I've never like hot drinks, including hot chocolate though when I am not feeling well I sometimes like a hot cider. 

Caffeined colas were always more bitter than non caffeinated and now I don't even like the bitterness in non caffeinated so I suspect I wouldn't like it in coffee either. 

You are so right on the cost. Being a diabetic, when I gave up caffeinated colas, meant the choices of drinks were pretty much water. Now 99% of the time my whole family drinks water when going out. Saves a lot of money!

Really the only difference for me that I can think if is if someone had tiramisu I would be inclined to try it. 

47 minutes ago, rockpond said:

I like the smell of dry coffee beans. But once it's brewed I find the smell unpleasant.

On 3/20/2019 at 7:39 AM, Judd said:

They are in Jerusalem for 3 1/2 years beforehand. Maybe he's just doing crowd control, or a less-than-two-transfer mission. 😉

By 'slinking away' I meant I realized my first post could have been better founded on a primary source, rather than just adding what came across as hearsay, or worse, a conference-call-conspiracy (just made that up). I didn't realize Jasono is also a newbie. My comment-fu was weak and I embarrassed myself.

As an aside, can someone tell me why I can't post in the In The News forum? Is there a posting benchmark I have to reach beforehand?