Seriously No Politics ×

Hype for April 2019 Conference

Let’s pretend for a moment that all of that list is implemented and that it’s all approved of by the Lord. 

Then, obviously, the righteous would feel that confirmation, because it’s of God... and many many people would have broken hearts mended and would be able to participate. 

And then, within time, people would leave for other reasons. 

But I for one would run to Starbucks for my first iced coffee;) and then head straight to Victoria’s. 

On Monday, of course 😂

Edited by MustardSeed
6 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Let’s pretend for a moment that all of that list is implemented and that it’s all approved of by the Lord. 

Then, obviously, the righteous would feel that confirmation, because it’s of God... and many many people would have broken hearts mended and would be able to participate. 

But I for one would run to Starbucks for my first iced coffee;) and then head straight to Victoria’s. 

On Monday, of course 😂

Ha!  Great post.  I know those changes would make a lot of members happy.....but it would certainly ruffle the feathers of others.

I would REALLY love to see the change regarding the temple sealings being separate from the marriage.  I do think that one may happen (if not this conference, then in the near future).

Also, does anyone know when the change was implemented where members began wearing the garments all the time?  I think I looked that up at one time, but can't remember now....

Edited by ALarson
21 minutes ago, ALarson said:

Ha!  Great post.  I know those changes would make a lot of members happy.....but it would certainly ruffle the feathers of others.

I would REALLY love to see the change regarding the temple sealings being separate from the marriage.  I do think that one may happen (if not this conference, then in the near future).

Also, does anyone know when the change was implemented where members began wearing the garments all the time?  I think I looked that up at one time, but can't remember now....

If it came through the prophets then it would only ruffle the feathers of the wicked. :o

2 hours ago, Exiled said:

Presidents Nelson and Oaks seem to be the main proponents of this one. So, it'll have to wait until after their passing, unless we see a bigger, more public backlash where the MSM joins in and denounces the policy. Shaming would work. But, unless that happens, I don't think any inspiration would be there for that change.

I think you’ll be disappointed no matter how hard you try to shame

18 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

I strongly believe these changes won't happen any time soon.  But I also strongly believe that when a younger generation of leadership is in place, there will most definitely be more acceptance of SSM and the policy will be removed.  I know I may not live to see that (it may take more than one generational change in leadership).  The youth have very strong opinions on this topic and really love and accept their gay friends and family members....and support SSM for the most part (from what I've observed with the youth in my ward).

Edited by ALarson

I am a bit confused. If revelation to the leaders is the direct voice (word) of God, then what difference would the age, life experience, or personal beliefs of the one receiving the revelation make? Just how involved is the one receiving the message in its interpretation and dissemination to the folks?

Edited by Navidad
35 minutes ago, Navidad said:

Just how involved is the one receiving the message in its interpretation and dissemination to the folks? 

The answer to that question seems to depend on how much someone agrees with what is being revealed.

9 hours ago, ALarson said:

20.  Remove multiple cultural boundaries imposed as Mormonism but which are acknowledged as American culture and unnecessary.  (Ex: allowing a wider range of instruments used in Church meetings)

Can't wait to pick my ol' five-wire (banjo) in sacrament meeting!  It will be a great and terrible day for many Saints... fulfilling the end-times prophecy. 

26 minutes ago, pogi said:

Can't wait to pick my ol' five-wire (banjo) in sacrament meeting!  It will be a great and terrible day for many Saints... fulfilling the end-times prophecy. 

Please remember, the Bible clearly says "Fret not!" 🙂

On 3/4/2019 at 9:53 AM, MustardSeed said:

On Monday, of course 😂

The items proscribed in the Word of Wisdom have been extremely popular in society at large from the time of the Restoration until today, especially coffee and tea. Permitting these things at his juncture just to placate or pamper the Starbucks crowd would dishonor Latter-day Saints throughout history who have sacrificed their appetites and desires to obey the word of the Lord. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
6 hours ago, Navidad said:

If revelation to the leaders is the direct voice (word) of God, then what difference would the age, life experience, or personal beliefs of the one receiving the revelation make?

It doesn't make any difference. This is just one more trope used by those on the fringes of the Church who, (a) recognising that their preferred changes just aren't happening and (b) assuming that the Church functions just like any other man-made institution, have convinced themselves that the rising generation will lead the way in 'reforming' the Church according to their 'progressive' desires.

The active, faithful young people in my ward are as fully on-board with the teachings of Latter-day prophets as their parents are, and in some cases more so.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
32 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

The items proscribed in the Word of Woddom have been extremely popular in society at large from the time of the Restoration until today, especially coffee and tea.

Not like it is now (from what I see) with the youth.  It’s very cool to be seen drinking it (in a Starbucks cup or other trendy place).  I don’t know if this change will be made, but if so, it’ll be to appease and keep the youth in, IMO.  Most of the older members don’t care much about drinking tea or coffee (maybe I’m wrong, but my opinion).

24 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

It doesn't make any difference. This is just one more trope used by those on the fringes of the Church who, (a) recognising that their preferred changes just aren't happening and (b) assuming that the Church functions just like any other man-made institution, have convinced themselves that the rising generation will lead the way in 'reforming' the Church according to their 'progressive' desires.

The active, faithful young people in my ward are as fully on-board with the teachings of Latter-day prophets as their parents are, and in some cases more so.

I’m not seeing this (with many of the youth in our ward).  Not at all. They question everything and love their Starbucks and gay friends.

Also, I think it does make a difference who the Prophet is IMO (like using the name Mormon which has been something Nelson has wanted to change before he was the Prophet).  Look at the Adam God teachings that Brigham personality believed in.  The human element does enter in, I think.

Edited by JulieM

It’s very cool to be seen drinking it (in a Starbucks cup or other trendy place).  I don’t know if this change will be made, but if so, it’ll be to appease and keep the youth in, IMO

If it is to be cool, then I don't think it would be doing favors to youth to remove restrictions.

9 minutes ago, Calm said:

If it is to be cool, then I don't think it would be doing favors to youth to remove restrictions.

Oh, I agree.  I’m just thinking that would be why (IF there’s a change, but big IF), because older members don’t seem to care.

6 hours ago, Navidad said:

I am a bit confused. If revelation to the leaders is the direct voice (word) of God, then what difference would the age, life experience, or personal beliefs of the one receiving the revelation make? Just how involved is the one receiving the message in its interpretation and dissemination to the folks?

Well hearing the direct voice of God is not how Church leaders have claimed to receive any revelations for the past 100+ years.  It seems to me that a revelation is claimed when everyone agrees on some issue and they feel good about how they voted. 

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

The items proscribed in the Word of Woddom have been extremely popular in society at large from the time of the Restoration until today, especially coffee and tea. Permitting these things at his juncture just to placate or pamper the Starbucks crowd would dishonor Latter-day Saints throughout history who have sacrificed their appetites and desires to obey the word of the Lord. 

I don’t disagree. ;)  I bet a lot of people would be disoriented by such a thing. 

Remember when coke was newly sold on campus? How many under 40 were affected? Not nearly as big a deal but I certainly know people who have never drank caffeine at all.  I’m sure that change was alarming for some. 

Incidentally, would you be comfortable sharing here what you would be tickled to get a pass on? I showed you mine. I don’t think mine was terribly shameful, incidentally. 

54 minutes ago, california boy said:

Well hearing the direct voice of God is not how Church leaders have claimed to receive any revelations for the past 100+ years.

I refuse to believe that the authorised prophets of God are somehow receiving less revelation than I am. 

5 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I refuse to believe that the authorised prophets of God are somehow receiving less revelation than I am. 

Why?  The ability to receive revelation has numerous conditions influencing it.

You seem to be assuming that either the laws upon which the blessings of revelation operate are not applied equally due to their callings (ie they don't have to meet the individual conditons because God has to direct his Church) OR they're just better than everyone else (ie they don't have to try as hard).

Brigham used to call Heber his prophet.  That is, that Heber was better at it than he was.

24 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Why?  The ability to receive revelation has numerous conditions influencing it.

Agreed. And I'm making neither assumption. In fact, I strongly believe that the processes of revelation are the same for everyone, including the wrestling. That's why personal experience with revelation is so necessary to recognising that the prophets are in receipt of it too.

I think this is a good time to bring up the effect that sweeping, rapid policy/doctrinal change had on the Community of Christ. The CofC goes on, but in a dissipated, almost moribund state. The time may well come when the LDS Church ordains women, performs same-sex temple sealings, and disavows the historicity of the Book of Mormon; however, regardless of the personal feelings of the rank-and-file at that stage, don’t expect the church to last more than a couple more decades if that happens. The 1978 policy change concerning blacks and the priesthood was welcome and long overdue—as perhaps were the recent changes to temple ordinances vis-a-vis women—but when you start changing things that are inarguably and foundationally doctrinal in nature, rubble will result that can’t simply be swept under the rug.

3 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

The items proscribed in the Word of Woddom have been extremely popular in society at large from the time of the Restoration until today, especially coffee and tea. Permitting these things at his juncture just to placate or pamper the Starbucks crowd would dishonor Latter-day Saints throughout history who have sacrificed their appetites and desires to obey the word of the Lord. 

I'm not sure it would be a that big of a doctrinal leap to roll back some of the current policies of the WoW.  The "word of the Lord" on this matter is canonized in the D&C as saying that the WoW was given "not by commandment".   Unless someone can find an updated revelation some place where the Lord amended his original revelation, then we must assume the current teaching concerning the WoW is just a policy.  

47 minutes ago, esodije said:

I think this is a good time to bring up the effect that sweeping, rapid policy/doctrinal change had on the Community of Christ. The CofC goes on, but in a dissipated, almost moribund state. The time may well come when the LDS Church ordains women, performs same-sex temple sealings, and disavows the historicity of the Book of Mormon; however, regardless of the personal feelings of the rank-and-file at that stage, don’t expect the church to last more than a couple more decades if that happens. The 1978 policy change concerning blacks and the priesthood was welcome and long overdue—as perhaps were the recent changes to temple ordinances vis-a-vis women—but when you start changing things that are inarguably and foundationally doctrinal in nature, rubble will result that can’t simply be swept under the rug.

We'll just call it continuing revelation, clarification, and further light.  It's all good.

That's why the CoC D&C has 167 sections.  Tons of clarification.

10 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

I doubt it. It's just human beings trying to channel what they think is the divine and then trying to push their ideas on those they control. Once Nelson and Oaks are gone, they will be thrown under the bus like JS or BY are periodically. Society is going towards acceptance of LGBT persons as equals and refusing to call their biology sin. The church of 50 yrs hence will acknowledge this and try to claim that it was always that way, throwing Nelson and Oaks under the bus.

2 hours ago, california boy said:

Well hearing the direct voice of God is not how Church leaders have claimed to receive any revelations for the past 100+ years.  It seems to me that a revelation is claimed when everyone agrees on some issue and they feel good about how they voted. 

Not a big surprise. This is how much of corporate america works.