Seriously No Politics ×

Hype for April 2019 Conference

16 minutes ago, hope_for_things said:

If that large of a change can happen I think a deemphasis in letter of the law adherence to WoW traditions would be a great thing, especially if it’s accompanied by an emphasis on actual healthy living which is the spirit of the law that is frequently missed.  

Nelson is a letter of the law President.

Elder Benson, before he was president of the church, visited my mission.  He told us that there could  be a second quorum of the Twelve -- "There was a second quorum in America among the Nephites."

This was in the late 1960's.

1 hour ago, hope_for_things said:

All they really have to do is revert back to the original language in the WoW.  It never mentions Coffee or Tea, only says hot drinks and leaders interpreted it to mean Coffee and Tea (mistakenly).  

Would this be an incremental step towards  allowing for moderate consumption of barley and grape derived beverages?  Possibly in the future, who knows. The WoW was the culturally distinctive emphasis of 20th century Mormonism after it abandoned polygamy.  If that large of a change can happen I think a deemphasis in letter of the law adherence to WoW traditions would be a great thing, especially if it’s accompanied by an emphasis on actual healthy living which is the spirit of the law that is frequently missed.  

The problem with this is that it would mean hot chocolate would be out and I really don't see that happening. 

37 minutes ago, cdowis said:

Elder Benson, before he was president of the church, visited my mission.  He told us that there could  be a second quorum of the Twelve -- "There was a second quorum in America among the Nephites."

wait, are you saying there was a 2nd Quorum of the Twelve in the late 1960's? 

On 12/10/2018 at 3:38 PM, e-eye said:

Yes, this is a quote from President Nelson and I had an apostle quote him as well.  I don't eat vitamins and I am terrible at wearing a seat-belt but maybe I should do better.  

All kidding aside.  I think changes are the new norm and I think its exciting.  Looking forward to the changes to two hour church in a few weeks and spending more time teaching my family, learning together.  

We have the youth changes in 12 months, and that will take some work as well.  

I hope I hear something about the changes to the youth program. Cub scout parents are asking me if I have heard anything. Zilch.

6 minutes ago, Thinking said:

The presentation of the endowment has gone through multiple changes.

Not just the presentation.  The content being presented has also.

49 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Picard said:

I hope I hear something about the changes to the youth program. Cub scout parents are asking me if I have heard anything. Zilch.

Our stake is having a youth leadership training retreat this weekend to explain the new program. 

7 hours ago, Duncan said:

wait, are you saying there was a 2nd Quorum of the Twelve in the late 1960's? 

There was a second  Q12 in the Book of Mormon and he hinted that this was under consideration back then.  I have been watching for this, and it would certainly qualify as a stunning announcement.

Remember, you heard it here first.

Edited by cdowis
6 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Our stake is having a youth leadership training retreat this weekend to explain the new program. 

Wow... I’d love to hear more about that.  We still haven’t received anything unless the stake leaders got it and didn’t mention it to the ward leaders. 

13 hours ago, ALarson said:

Ok....I just heard this "rumor" yesterday too (by someone who talked to an "inside source"....whatever that is  )

But I heard it'll be that iced coffee and iced tea will now be allowed and they quoted the percentage (Jana Reiss) of millennials who drink those and love their Starbucks, etc.   I know I've seen kids show up during the week drinking the Starbucks coffee drinks in the little bottles and some have said their parents drink them too (stock up on them in their refrigerators).

I've got to say that if they make this change, I'll be shocked.  To me, that would mean that they are pulling out all the stops to keep the youth in the church.  Also,  how then do they say that hot coffee and tea are still against the WofW,  but put some ice in them and you're fine?  

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/02/25/coffee-gay-issues/

But would it be a big deal...really? The coffee/tea issue is an interpretation of the WoW and using that as a Temple worthiness issue is merely a policy. A longstanding policy, but a policy nonetheless. This would be super easy to change. It would make a lot of people happy. It wouldn't change a wit of doctrine or any salvific principle in any way, shape, or form. Why NOT make the change?

9 hours ago, cdowis said:

Now THAT would be a BIG change. :) 

It's an interesting idea though. If there were a Q12 in say the Northern Hemisphere and a Q12 in the south that would allow for greater contextualization within different areas of the world which may require different focus. I don't see that ever happening but the idea of it raises interesting possibilities regarding decentralization of the church in Utah.

26 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Now THAT would be a BIG change. :) 

It's an interesting idea though. If there were a Q12 in say the Northern Hemisphere and a Q12 in the south that would allow for greater contextualization within different areas of the world which may require different focus. I don't see that ever happening but the idea of it raises interesting possibilities regarding decentralization of the church in Utah.

In the BOM though, Christ never called the 12 in America apostles.  I think they were always referred to as the 12 disciples.  

1 hour ago, rockpond said:

Wow... I’d love to hear more about that.  We still haven’t received anything unless the stake leaders got it and didn’t mention it to the ward leaders. 

We haven't heard anything either.  I got an email last week about the youth program from the church but it didn't say anything new.  Maybe Bernard is in one of the pilot areas where they are testing new stuff?

55 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

But would it be a big deal...really? The coffee/tea issue is an interpretation of the WoW and using that as a Temple worthiness issue is merely a policy. A longstanding policy, but a policy nonetheless. This would be super easy to change. It would make a lot of people happy. It wouldn't change a wit of doctrine or any salvific principle in any way, shape, or form. Why NOT make the change?

Oh, I agree.  It would not be a big deal to me, but I know it would be to older more Orthodox members.  I just believe that they either need to make it ok to drink tea and coffee (hot or iced) or just leave it as it is now.  I think making an announcement that iced coffee and iced tea are not against the WofW, but heat them up and they are still forbidden is what I'd find odd.  What reason could the leaders give for these drinks being ok iced, but it's the temperature that makes them against the WoW without having to make sense out of still being ok to drink other hot beverages?  

I know there are some members that think it's a huge sin to drink coffee.  Once my wife served a dessert in our home that was coffee flavored (and most likely did have coffee in it) and we could not believe how some of the members reacted and whispered....taking it out of their kids hands and them turning it down too.  So those are the members who would struggle if the leaders announced it's now ok to drink coffee.  

I think some on this board would not be happy about this either 😉

Edited by ALarson
19 minutes ago, ALarson said:

Oh, I agree.  It would not be a big deal to me, but I know it would be to older more Orthodox members.  I just believe that they either need to make it ok to drink tea and coffee (hot or iced) or just leave it as it is now.  I think making an announcement that iced coffee and iced tea are not against the WofW, but heat them up and they are still forbidden is what I'd find odd.  What reason could the leaders give for these drinks being ok iced, but it's the temperature that makes them against the WoW without having to make sense out of still being ok to drink other hot beverages?  

I know there are some members that think it's a huge sin to drink coffee.  Once my wife served a dessert in our home that was coffee flavored (and most likely did have coffee in it) and we could not believe how some of the members reacted and whispered....taking it out of their kids hands and them turning it down too.  So those are the members who would struggle if the leaders announced it's now ok to drink coffee.  

I think some on this board would not be happy about this either 😉

Off topic a bit but one if my guilty pleasures used to be Arby’s Jamocha shake.  They had them ages ago before Starbucks existed and I honestly didn’t know it was a coffee thing, I was pretty naive.  But loved the flavor.  Duh! 

The cognitive dissonance got pretty loud as coffee infiltrated every corner of the US...   

now it’s an easy pass.  They changed the formula and it’s more like fluff than ice cream.  Plus I’m old and can’t take the calories and sugar. 😭 

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

In the BOM though, Christ never called the 12 in America apostles.  I think they were always referred to as the 12 disciples.  

They were almost always referred to as disciples in the NT as well.  Disciples meaning "students".  The title apostle in some cases was a later addition to the text, I was reading about one of those in a Matthew verse just a couple weeks ago during SS.