Seriously No Politics ×

Hype for April 2019 Conference

17 minutes ago, clarkgoble said:

Nearly everything I write is a paraphrase of something. (When I am wise and check my facts before posting - I always regret it when I don't) I just don't bother to always reference the things I look things up. A forum isn't a term paper. There's no way I, or anyone else, could list every reference influencing our view. I only post links if the extended article is of interest to those in the discussion. The time constraints alone make full references impossible.

In this case though it really was my own words and not a paraphrase. Although I did check the seven rules from this website to make sure my memory was right:

http://www.yashanet.com/studies/revstudy/hillel.htm

I thought HJW was saying that it sounds a bit like Jesus plagiarized, not you.  :)

1 minute ago, bluebell said:

I thought HJW was saying that it sounds a bit like Jesus plagiarized, not you.  :)

Oh my bad then. Apologies. I almost didn't write anything but figured I should in case someone thought I was avoiding the question. But even if I misread HJW (again apologies) I think it's helpful to be clear that I write these things really quickly (thus all the typos) and often am paraphrasing people who actually know what they're talking about. <bg>

I do think though that a surprisingly amount of what Jesus said was quotations. I suspect that if we had good records of the oral traditions and texts of the time of Jesus and a few centuries before that we'd find most of what he said is just quotation. Just a guess of course.

Edited by clarkgoble
5 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

That maybe true.

Of course they might feel the same way 

Course you guys might also realize that none of you are that bad.

The point is Unless you socialize how will you know? 

They probably do feel the same way.

I always feel miserable after a Single Adult activity. Maybe it is my issue, maybe is is a by their fruits shall he know them situation. I have Single friends (both in and out of the Church) that I socialize with. Most relatively well-adjusted Single Adults have built social lives. I suspect that part of the problem with a lot of these activities is that they self-select those who have not built those kinds of lives and it shows. It just depresses me when I go that these are my peers. Probably arrogance in there but I would rather just not be miserable.

10 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

They probably do feel the same way.

I always feel miserable after a Single Adult activity. Maybe it is my issue, maybe is is a by their fruits shall he know them situation. I have Single friends (both in and out of the Church) that I socialize with. Most relatively well-adjusted Single Adults have built social lives. I suspect that part of the problem with a lot of these activities is that they self-select those who have not built those kinds of lives and it shows. It just depresses me when I go that these are my peers. Probably arrogance in there but I would rather just not be miserable.

I think this really varies ward to ward. I remember being in one ward and I was floored at who the members were. These were clearly mostly people with shall we say social skill issues. I remember coming home pretty depressed. I went a few more times and then ended up spending the next year ward hopping. I still remember getting a letter from SLC asking what ward I was in for their records. (Don't know if that's a common thing)

In a certain way singles wards really suck. I'd say they're worthless for dating but then I was flirting with a girl in Sunday School and ended up marrying her. So I guess it does happen. But outside of my wife it was 15 years of not really liking the singles wards but also not really liking the alternative. I also found it actually was tough, at least in Utah, to have much of a real social life too. I ended up just moving back into the BYU scene just to have a social life. But that was much more apartment socializing than ward socializing. Especially the pool and so forth.

5 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Most relatively well-adjusted Single Adults have built social lives. I suspect that part of the problem with a lot of these activities is that they self-select those who have not built those kinds of lives and it shows. It just depresses me when I go that these are my peers.

We have healthy, well-adjusted single adults in our stake. None of them attends activities. Those who do all seem to have enormous unmet needs. I used to try to go to see if I could help with those needs in some way, but I've had to realise that I can't. Instead, I invite specific individuals into my home and get much better outcomes.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
On 12/10/2018 at 3:54 PM, rockpond said:

And so it begins... or continues...

We had our stake conference this weekend (Dec 8-9).  In the concluding session on Sunday, Elder Randall K. Bennett of the Seventy was speaking.  After referencing President Nelson's comments:  "If you think the Church has been fully restored, you're just seeing the beginning" and "Eat your vitamin pills. Get some rest. It's going to be exciting."  He said, jokingly:  There's a rumor that they are installing seat belts in the Conference Center in preparation for next April's conference.

I'm curious if others are hearing similar comments from general authorities in your areas.

Given the above (and assuming it isn't only happening in my area), I imagine we'll have lots of guessing and rumors about "big announcements" in the lead up to April General Conference.

Hype but also truth.

BSA is dead. New program coming.

Young Women's will likely be updated as well.

Personally, I'm waiting for General Conference updates on the New and Everlasting Covenant.

Can I get an AMEN?!

13 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

Hype but also truth.

BSA is dead. New program coming.

Young Women's will likely be updated as well.

Personally, I'm waiting for General Conference updates on the New and Everlasting Covenant.

Can I get an AMEN?!

The truth is that we're going to get new youth programs.  The hype is statements like needing to install seatbelts in the conference center.

1 hour ago, Judd said:

I hope they announce the end of separating the men and women in endowment sessions, and allowing couples to sit together. That would be huge.

Admitting that I have never been endowed, why is it this way in the first place...that is, separated?

1 hour ago, Judd said:

I hope they announce the end of separating the men and women in endowment sessions, and allowing couples to sit together. That would be huge.

If you go to a session with your spouse that is really full, there is a good chance you'll get to sit by them if you come in towards the end.  

4 hours ago, Jeanne said:

Admitting that I have never been endowed, why is it this way in the first place...that is, separated?

Because women administer the ordinances to women; men, to men. This makes that logistically easier. Plus I suspect there is also important symbolism in being reunited at the end. 

3 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Because women administer the ordinances to women; men, to men. This makes that logistically easier. Plus I suspect there is also important symbolism in being reunited at the end. 

Thank you. 

On 12/15/2018 at 11:59 AM, rockpond said:

The truth is that we're going to get new youth programs.  The hype is statements like needing to install seatbelts in the conference center.

Incorrect. The truth is we'll get new youth programs, and other changes yet unannounced. TO my dismay, not likley updates ont eh New and Everlasting Covenant.

Yes. seatbelts in the conf center is hype. 

Just now, nuclearfuels said:

TO my dismay, not likley updates ont eh New and Everlasting Covenant.

What sort of update to eternal principles are you looking for?

2 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

What sort of update to eternal principles are you looking for?

Reinstitution of plural marriage.

Though April 2019 seems a bit soon.

Federal Rep's such as Keith Ellison, Rashida Tlaib, Ilhan Omar will likely / hopefully introduce a federal measure on religious freedom or advocate some lawsuit that makes it way to the SCOTUS, arguing that Muslims in the US have the religious freedom to practice polygamy, which legally, they do. 

From there, maybe 5 or 10 years until reinstitution from SLC.

24 minutes ago, nuclearfuels said:

Reinstitution of plural marriage.

Though April 2019 seems a bit soon.

Federal Rep's such as Keith Ellison, Rashida Tlaib, Ilhan Omar will likely / hopefully introduce a federal measure on religious freedom or advocate some lawsuit that makes it way to the SCOTUS, arguing that Muslims in the US have the religious freedom to practice polygamy, which legally, they do. 

From there, maybe 5 or 10 years until reinstitution from SLC.

😂😂

That won't happen as long as common consent remains the order of the day.  It will never happen by the will of the members.  Plural marriage will only return when God reinstates it by commandment.  Which probably won't be till Christ returns.

The people would never accept it any other way.

On 12/15/2018 at 3:26 PM, JLHPROF said:

Nobody has a testimony of anything really anymore.  They just do what they are told.

16 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Plural marriage will only return when God reinstates it by commandment. Which probably won't be till Christ returns.

So which is it? Are the Saints just a bunch of testimony-less sheep who unquestioningly do whatever Church leaders tell them, or are they a people who won't accept things without God giving the commandment?

Or are you just annoyed that we keep accepting prophetic teachings you personally think are in error?

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
30 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

😂😂

That won't happen as long as common consent remains the order of the day.  It will never happen by the will of the members.  Plural marriage will only return when God reinstates it by commandment.  Which probably won't be till Christ returns.

Common consent isn’t used that way anymore.  The prophet could reinstate it without seeking a sustaining vote. 

1 hour ago, rockpond said:

Common consent isn’t used that way anymore.  The prophet could reinstate it without seeking a sustaining vote. 

And membership would drop.

1 hour ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

So which is it? Are the Saints just a bunch of testimony-less sheep who unquestioningly do whatever Church leaders tell them, or are they a people who won't accept things without God giving the commandment?

Both.  When it comes to belief in principle, doctrine and practice they believe what they are told...until something challenges that "faith" by making them uncomfortable.  Then you get the protests.  And God himself couldn't convince.

Basically, "the prophet is always right and cannot be questioned unless it makes me uncomfortable so I'll find an excuse".

1 hour ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Or are you just annoyed that we keep accepting prophetic teachings you personally think are in error?

You can attempt to put this back on me all you want but it's not an issue of annoyance or irritation.  It's one of simple observation.  Joseph restored the gospel.  The Church has discarded/altered much of it during the second century of the Church's existence.

You can try and make it an issue of my personal feelings all you want but in the end it's not emotion, just a refusal to identify an apple as an orange.

Edited by JLHPROF
15 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

And membership would drop.

Meh, then I would have a shorter ministering list. Not seeing the downside.

3 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

You can attempt to put this back on me all you want but it's not an issue of annoyance or irritation.  It's one of simple observation.  Joseph restored the gospel.  The Church has discarded/altered much of it during the second century of the Church's existence.

You can try and make it an issue of my personal feelings all you want but in the end it's not emotion, just a refusal to identify an apple as an orange.

I just do not understand why you have not joined one of the fundamentalist break-offs.............

9 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I just do not understand why you have not joined one of the fundamentalist break-offs.............

They have no legitimate claim to priesthood authority.  Joseph taught a legal administrator was required for salvation.

And then there are the numerous prophecies of our early leaders and scripture that the Church would get very out of order then be put back in order by Christ.  But never fully apostatize.

I'm just observing history as we fulfill the first half and eagerly anticipating the second.  So there's nowhere else to go.  Doesn't mean I can't make observations while we wait.

Edited by JLHPROF
1 minute ago, JLHPROF said:

They have no legitimate claim to priesthood authority.  Joseph taught a legal administrator was required for salvation.

And then there are the numerous prophecies of our early leaders that the Church would get out of order then be put back in order by Christ.  

I'm just observing history as we fulfill the first half and eagerly anticipating the second.  So there's nowhere else to go.  Doesn't mean I can't make observations while we wait.

I hope it works. I just have my doubts you will endure all the changes until He returns. :( 

Just now, The Nehor said:

I hope it works. I just have my doubts you will endure all the changes until He returns. :( 

I would never quit nor cause enough stink to get the boot.  If there was an ethical tipping point I would choose inactivity because it's still God's Church.  I  would hope the Lord would never let things reach that point.