Sign in to follow this  
Stargazer

New NT Translation for LDS

Got this in email today from The Interpreter Foundation.  It pertains to a review of Thomas A. Wayment's translation of the New Testament, with the title The New Testament: A Translation for Latter-day Saints: A Study Bible.

This is the text in the email:

Translating the New Testament for Latter-day Saints

Posted: December 4, 2018 at 1:00 pm

Review of Thomas A. Wayment, trans., The New Testament: A Translation for Latter-day Saints: A Study Bible (Provo, UT: Religious Studies Center; Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 2018). $29.99 print. $17.00 digital. 491 pp. In a sermon delivered in Salt Lake City, Utah on August 27, 1871, Brigham Young issued this charge: [If] there is a scholar on the earth who professes to be a Christian, and he can translate [the Bible] any better than King James’s translators did it, he is under obligation to do so, or the curse is upon him. If I understood Greek and Hebrew as some may profess ...

The link to the review is:

https://interpreterfoundation.org/translating-the-new-testament-for-latter-day-saints/

One snippet that I found interesting is the comparison between the KJV and the WT on Matthew 5:48

Matt. 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. Therefore, you will be perfect, even as your heavenly Father is perfect.
  • Like 1

I haven't made up my mind about this. I generally dismiss most things which use the word translation. It's just so easy for Satan to manipulate people, however I do think the phrase "you will be perfect" is interesting and thought provoking.

Edited by Gillebre
  • Like 1

I wonder why the change of tense and therefore implies who will be doing the perfecting.

20 hours ago, strappinglad said:

I wonder why the change of tense and therefore implies who will be doing the perfecting.

"Be ye..." comes across as a command. But I cannot perfect myself.  I can only repent of my sins, and when I do, the stain of those sins still remains.  The perfection arises through the blood of Christ, which cleans the stains from my soul.  And it does not arise from any action I can take.  So I think that "will" is a more accurate rendering, doctrinally.

18 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

So I think that "will" is a more accurate rendering, doctrinally

I don't disagree, but what words in the source documents justified that meaning ?

Edited by strappinglad

18 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

I don't disagree, but what words in the source documents justified that meaning ?

Sorry but my koine is a bit rusty.  I don't know.

But here's a link that shows a number of other translations: https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Matthew 5%3A48

At least one uses "shall".

Edited by Stargazer

Well there certainly are a variety of interpretations, but many are similar to the KJV. Some really editorialize . I now better understand the deuteronomist approach in the OT.

Sign in to follow this