Seriously No Politics ×

That Deadpool Poster

4 hours ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

Yay!  Me too - sat the whole family down for Vidangel'd Deadpool.  It was an experiment to see if there was enough movie left to make sense, after you took out all the horrible and nasty.  As it turned out, there was still a plot.  It was actually a halfway sweet love story between a guy and a girl who manages to outdo him at Star Wars references. 

And there was an old black lady for some reason.  Her only line of dialogue that made it past the filter was "I miss cocaine". 

Yeah, I didn't take out all the potential bad stuff. I'm not a stickler for certain things if it's not pervasive. Maybe I should have edited just a little more :P 

Oh, and captain marvel's 2nd trailer was released. So excited for me marvels!

7 hours ago, Rivers said:

That looks like a beagle dog behind Deadpool.  That's the kind of dog I have.

I bet beagles are fun.  Is he a pint-sized pocket little critter, or a full-sized one?  I'd like to find a beagle that I could sing "Hound Dog" to (in the style of Elvis, of course! B:)), to see if I could get him to howl at the right times (i.e., "You ain't nothin' but a hound dog  ..." [Howl!] "... cryin' all the time!" etc.) :D 

For all the things I love about this time of year, there are certain things I decidedly do not!  (#@$!%!! Seasonal Affective Disorder! :( :angry:)  Use of the Savior of the World (or at least, of depictions of Him) for crass commercial purposes is another! The more I think about the ways in which this painting has been (mis-)used, the more dissatisfied and rankled I become!

16 hours ago, 6EQUJ5 said:

Ummm.... like using the birth of Jesus for "crass commercial purposes" is something new.

Oh, I get it!  It's not new, so, long since, I should have been assimilated, is that it?  :rolleyes:<_< ("C'mon, Ken!  Get with the program!")  By that standard, there are any number of things that, long ago, Latter-day Saints should have jettisoned for the sake of "going along to get along": Word of Wisdom, Law of Chastity, commitment to traditional marriage, funny underwear, (heck, temples, and temple worship, should be jettisoned in their entirety anyway!  What's that all about?)  We hear such things a lot from purportedly-faithful-but-to-one-degree-or-another-actually-disaffected members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints right here on the Board.  No thanks.  I'll stick with my contrarian streak, thank you.  And, mind you, my "case of the Christmas cranks," is comparatively mild compared to others I've seen.  I don't get up-in-arms about every commercial depiction of Saint Nicholas or other things or people related to Christmas: I think, for example, that, actually, the commercial in which the M & Ms meet Santa is pretty funny. 

That said, even though I think it probably passes muster as a parody under existing intellectual property doctrine (but what the hell do I know: :unknw:  Bear in mind, for the 987,654,321st time, that I'm not a lawyer :rolleyes:), I wonder what Mr. Anderson would think of this pretty obvious attempt to appropriate his work.  I wonder if, as folks seem to think, it would be met by him with a diffident "Meh" and a shrug.  I don't know him; I don't know anything about him, other than that he was a painter and that the Church of Jesus Christ has used quite a bit of his work.  For all I know, that would be his exact reaction.  But, color me skeptical. :unsure: 

Edited by Kenngo1969
1 hour ago, 6EQUJ5 said:

You are missing out.  Deadpool is hi-lar-i-ous.

I know, I know. Scott and I are wilfully self-deprived. <_< :rolleyes: 

I've seen too many movies, as it is, to which my first reaction has been, "Well, there are two more hours or my life I'll never get back."   I've had similar reactions to other things which others say are all-the-rage.

In many such cases, I find that ignorance truly is bliss. ;) 

P.S.: I realize that there are "different strokes for different folks," and I'm certainly not judging anyone else for their taste in entertainment, but, why do I suspect that I would find Deadpool "hi-LAR-i-ous" in the same vein as, say,  some people, including some members of the Church of Jesus Christ, find The Book of Mormon: The Musical hilarious?

Edited by Kenngo1969
19 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Oh, I get it!  It's not new, so, long since, I should have been assimilated, is that it?  :rolleyes:<_< ("C'mon, Ken!  Get with the program!")  By that standard, there are any number of things that, long ago, Latter-day Saints should or jettisoned for the sake of "going along to get along": Word of Wisdom, Law of Chastity, commitment to traditional marriage, funny underwear, (heck, temples, and temple worship, should be jettisoned in their entirety anyway!  What's that all about?)  We hear such things a lot from purportedly-faithful-but-to-one-degree-or-another-actually-disaffected members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints right here on the Board.  No thanks.  I'll stick with my contrarian streak, thank you.  And, mind you, my "case of the Christmas cranks," is comparatively mild compared to others I've seen.  I don't get up-in-arms about every commercial depiction of Saint Nicholas or other things or people related to Christmas: I think, for example, that, actually, the commercial in which the M & Ms meet Santa is pretty funny. 

That said, even though I think it probably passes muster as a parody under existing intellectual property doctrine (but what the hell do I know: :unknw:  Bear in mind, for the 987,654,321st time, that I'm not a lawyer :rolleyes:), I wonder what Mr. Anderson would think of this pretty obvious attempt to appropriate his work.  I wonder if, as folks seem to think, it would be met by him with a diffident "Meh" and a shrug.  I don't know him; I don't know anything about him, other than that he was a painter and that the Church of Jesus Christ has used quite a bit of his work.  For all I know, that would be his exact reaction.  But, color me skeptical. :unsure: 

Purely a side note, but the artist, Harry Anderson, was a Seventh Day Adventist whom the Church of Jesus Christ commissioned to do many works over about a decade, beginning with a mural for the New York World’s Fair in 1964. 

Here’s a link to a story I wrote in October 2017 about a retrospective exhibition at the Church History Museum on his Latter-day Saint commissioned pieces. 

https://www.lds.org/church/news/harry-andersons-paint-studies-on-exhibit-at-church-history-museum?lang=eng

Edited by Scott Lloyd
21 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Looks like the feelings of some members of the church have gotten the notice of national news.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/deadpools-second-coming-poster-go-far-mormons-think-204221014.html

This is unfortunate.  It seems like some members are being delicate snowflakes like the SJWs who need their safe spaces. Are we going to cry and complain until those meanies change the poster that hurts our feelings?

I believe what my mother taught me:  offense is *always* taken, and never given.

If folks don't like the poster, they don't have to look at it.  

35 minutes ago, 6EQUJ5 said:

This is unfortunate.  It seems like some members are being delicate snowflakes like the SJWs who need their safe spaces. Are we going to cry and complain until those meanies change the poster that hurts our feelings?

I believe what my mother taught me:  offense is *always* taken, and never given.

So, anyone who thinks that the poster is in poor taste is a snowflake. :rolleyes:

Gotcha. <_< 

Well, thanks for clearing that up, or ... something. :unsure::unknw: 

P.S.: That said, actually, I agree with you to a certain extent.  If Once Upon a Deadpool were going to attract as much notice as a good movie might :rolleyes:, and if that notice were to impact, more directly, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I would support the Church taking exactly the same tack as it took with The Book of Mormon: The Musical.  Encouraging people to avoid it is likely to provoke the exact opposite of the reaction the Church of Jesus Christ wants, so if they're going to see it anyway, we might as well do our best to turn that to our advantage.  In at least one case, it worked.

P.P.S.: I wouldn't have said what Bluebell said in precisely the way she said it, but I agree with her sentiment.  I would have used "opinion" or "opinions" in place of the word "feelings."  Are we allowed to have opinions without being dismissed as snowflakes, or is that possible only if we agree with you? <_< 

Edited by Kenngo1969
35 minutes ago, 6EQUJ5 said:

While I find the poster in very poor taste I think the better reaction would have been to ignore it.  I haven't even seen the poster except on here and in that news article so members' attention is obviously adding to it's prevalence.  The Deadpool people are probably laughing all the way to the bank right now with all of this free publicity.  

1 hour ago, 6EQUJ5 said:

I agree with you on this point.

1 hour ago, 6EQUJ5 said:

I think this is mostly a manufactured controversy.  It's getting a lot of play in the media, but it looks like a big nothingburger:

Almost all of these simply point to an online petition complaining about the poster.  Big whoop.

Thanks,

-Smac

1 hour ago, Kenngo1969 said:

So, anyone who thinks that the poster is in poor taste is a snowflake. :rolleyes:

Not at all.  I personally think the poster is a bit funny simply because of its absurdity.  The whole idea of Deadpool as a saviour descending from heaven is so silly and over-the-top, it just sort of fits the whole Deadpool character and the humor of the comic book.  I tend to have an irreverant sense of humor, and so the poster gives me a good chuckle.  

Having said that, I can understand those who do find the poster to be in poor taste.  I completely understand that point-of-view and think it is entirely reasonable.  But there is a difference between thinking something is in poor taste, and choosing to be offended by it. All i'm suggesting is that choosing to get bothered or annoyed by a poster, is a waste of time and energy.

I don't see how it is relgious discrimination as most people understand it  as in no way is it impacting our ability to worship or any of a number of other activities of daily life (where we live, work, shop, etc).

On 12/12/2018 at 5:38 AM, Kenngo1969 said:

I bet beagles are fun.  Is he a pint-sized pocket little critter, or a full-sized one?  I'd like to find a beagle that I could sing "Hound Dog" to (in the style of Elvis, of course! B:)), to see if I could get him to howl at the right times (i.e., "You ain't nothin' but a hound dog  ..." [Howl!] "... cryin' all the time!" etc.) :D 

It’s a she.  And is a medium sized dog. 

20 hours ago, smac97 said:

I think this is mostly a manufactured controversy.  It's getting a lot of play in the media, but it looks like a big nothingburger:

[...]

Almost all of these simply point to an online petition complaining about the poster.  Big whoop.

That's what I thought when I saw it pop up on my news feed app as well. If church members, broadly, were genuinely upset the poster, I would think I would have heard more about it by now. 

I suspect most members response was similar to my own: Ah, I see what you did there - very clever. Moving on.