Seriously No Politics ×

Appropriate music for Sacrament mtg

MustardSeed

Looking for opinions before I bug my Bushop with it.  

I was asked to perform my instrument in sacrament for Christmas Sunday.  I will have a pianist. N

Do you think Oh Holy Night is appropriate? 

I typically only perform hymns, my preference.  Actually I prefer more rousing music but I’m a rule follower. 

Although I have played popular music for funerals in the chapel, for me it’s always hymns for sacrament.  I’m hoping to make an exception for Christmas. 

6 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I was asked to perform my instrument in sacrament for Christmas Sunday.  I will have a pianist. N

I typically only perform hymns, my preference.  Actually I prefer more rousing music but I’m a rule follower. 

Although I have played popular music for funerals in the chapel, for me it’s always hymns for sacrament.  I’m hoping to make an exception for Christmas. 

What's your instrument?  If it's the accordion O Holy Night would seem appropriate. :)

(and appropriate for violin as well)

Pretty sure your bagpipes aren't on the approved instrument list, but if your bishop is game, I wouldn't object: O Holy Night is completely appropriate (more so for an instrument than voice, IMHO, as there are parts where the voice would have to be the star, rather than the words).

Parlor pipes are intended to be quiet.  Quiet-er, anyway.  They go nicely with a violin and maybe a woodwind.  

I think O Holy Night would be great for Sacrament Meeting.  I absolutely love the words, but it does take a better voice than mine to do them justice.

On 12/3/2018 at 3:20 PM, MustardSeed said:

I have played "Oh Holy Night" many times in Sacrament Meeting.  My sister and I did piano/organ duet and also as prelude music.  I have never heard anyone complain.  Something like this song..different from hymns does something to the spirit.  Personally, I think it is one of the best songs to do...!

• 2 weeks later...