Sign in to follow this  
MustardSeed

Appropriate music for Sacrament mtg

Looking for opinions before I bug my Bushop with it.  

I was asked to perform my instrument in sacrament for Christmas Sunday.  I will have a pianist. N

Do you think Oh Holy Night is appropriate? 

I typically only perform hymns, my preference.  Actually I prefer more rousing music but I’m a rule follower. 

Although I have played popular music for funerals in the chapel, for me it’s always hymns for sacrament.  I’m hoping to make an exception for Christmas. 

6 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I was asked to perform my instrument in sacrament for Christmas Sunday.  I will have a pianist. N

I typically only perform hymns, my preference.  Actually I prefer more rousing music but I’m a rule follower. 

Although I have played popular music for funerals in the chapel, for me it’s always hymns for sacrament.  I’m hoping to make an exception for Christmas. 

What's your instrument?  If it's the accordion O Holy Night would seem appropriate. :)

(and appropriate for violin as well)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

What's your instrument?  If it's the accordion O Holy Night would seem appropriate. :)

(and appropriate for violin as well)

Bagpipes. ;)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Bagpipes. ;)

Silent Night is what you're looking for then (with an emphasis on the silent).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ksfisher said:

Silent Night is what you're looking for then (with an emphasis on the silent).

Niiiiice.  Ba dat daaaa

Yes, I think all Christmas hymns are appropriate, whether they are in the hymn book or not. 

I can see where bagpipes are highly appropriate for a funeral; however, for a Sacrament meeting is does not easily lend to reverence - it is just a really loud instrument. I never have heard one played quietly. 

Pretty sure your bagpipes aren't on the approved instrument list, but if your bishop is game, I wouldn't object: O Holy Night is completely appropriate (more so for an instrument than voice, IMHO, as there are parts where the voice would have to be the star, rather than the words).

I think the bagpipes was accompanied with a winky face, hence a jolk. Why would bagpipes be joined by a piano? Now , if she was playing a Zither.... :o

Parlor pipes are intended to be quiet.  Quiet-er, anyway.  They go nicely with a violin and maybe a woodwind.  

I think O Holy Night would be great for Sacrament Meeting.  I absolutely love the words, but it does take a better voice than mine to do them justice.

For the love.  

Bagpipes are not my instrument! Haha! I just wish not to reveal too much here, it’s a very small world in the church

• Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 3:20 PM, MustardSeed said:

I have played "Oh Holy Night" many times in Sacrament Meeting.  My sister and I did piano/organ duet and also as prelude music.  I have never heard anyone complain.  Something like this song..different from hymns does something to the spirit.  Personally, I think it is one of the best songs to do...!

Our choir sang it. I don't see a problem.

On 12/3/2018 at 4:58 PM, The Nehor said:

Something like this?

Haha yes!  Indeed,  and I expect the same reaction from the congregation or I’ll pack my toys and stomp home.