Seriously No Politics ×

In case it turns out you are wrong...

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

So since there are those that do these cold readings, there isn't room for the real ones? Please listen or read the following link on Mediums, and hopefully you will show me respect by doing so. Because hey, I looked at what you gave me and read all about cold readings, which helped me gear up for tomorrow!! https://skeptiko.com/julie-beischel-research-after-death-communication-371/

That interview comes from a site run by a pretty established dishonest conman who fabricates results and calls it science: 

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Alex_Tsakiris

The most damning accusation against mediums and psychics and other dependable supernatural powers is that if they consistently worked they would be used:

the_economic_argument.png

I believe there is still room for spiritual gifts and crossing the veil but they are tied to some rules someone has set and cannot be used at will by mortals. I would posit those rules come from God. Those who try to use these powers for economic gain never end up well (see Balaam and Simon the Sorceror).

If you need answers I would pray. It costs less and is more accurate. Sometimes it takes longer to get the answer but it is worth it.

28 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

That interview comes from a site run by a pretty established dishonest conman who fabricates results and calls it science: 

The most damning accusation against mediums and psychics and other dependable supernatural powers is that if they consistently worked they would be used:

I believe there is still room for spiritual gifts and crossing the veil but they are tied to some rules someone has set and cannot be used at will by mortals. I would posit those rules come from God. Those who try to use these powers for economic gain never end up well (see Balaam and Simon the Sorceror).

If you need answers I would pray. It costs less and is more accurate. Sometimes it takes longer to get the answer but it is worth it.

Yay, I actually get to use the term "strawman", I seldom know too many of these descriptions, but this fits to the "t". I wasn't touting that the podcast guy is legit, but I think the woman he's interviewing or has on the podcast could be.

Had my reading, went pretty good. A few things he said could have been from my FB photos. Like my mother's hair being brunette and short. And he mentioned a dog being with my parents which was a small lap dog and could be a lot like a Shitzu. I thought of my little Yorkie that was hit by a car and died. And on FB there are a couple of photos of Biscuit he would have to have searched in albums for. But pretty sweet to think all dogs do go to heaven. And he mentioned my mother loving to cook, but she worked a lot so hadn't had a lot of time to cook. My dad who was on disability later in life would cook a lot. So these things were disappointing.

There were a few things that he said and one thing that happened that gave me hope. Right off the bat he said my mom came through and she said she really liked my hair and just that morning I had been worried I'd fried my hair because of coloring it and was worried about it falling out.

And then he said that my mom wanted to comment on my childhood, and he said it was that I loved to dance and twirl around the house and was in a dance group. Well that is right, and maybe the majority of girls are like this, so there's that. But I was an oddball and would dance in slips to the stereo all around the living room when I was like 7 or 8.

Then in the middle he mentioned that I had been going through a faith crisis, and trying to figure out what my path is to be. He nailed that! There is nothing on FB about that! And he didn't ask me anything about myself, I was pretty silent the whole time. The only thing he'd ask was a couple of names and who they were, other than that he said he preferred I didn't offer things at all. 

And he nailed that both my father-in-law and my dad died from heart conditions. My dad a heart attack, and FIL had heart failure, so there's that. Then toward the very end, a song came on the stereo that I had picked for my dad's funeral CD I made. It was absolutely awesome and I'm hoping it was not a coincidence. And no, he didn't have all songs on the stereo that had to do with loved ones moving one, I was paying attention to the songs. It was "Hero" by Mariah Carey. I'll post for your listening pleasure!

Edited by Tacenda

Just FYI, take it as you want...

Then in the middle he mentioned that I had been going through a faith crisis, and trying to figure out what my path is to be. He nailed that!

You live in Utah and chose to go to a medium, which is not looked on well by most in the Church.  High possibility you had a faith crisis....especially if you told him this was your first time.  Someone older trying new things...

Death by heart conditions is the leading cause of death for white males.

4 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Had my reading, went pretty good. A few things he said could have been from my FB photos. Like my mother's hair being brunette and short. And he mentioned a dog being with my parents which was a small lap dog and could be a lot like a Shitzu. I thought of my little Yorkie that was hit by a car and died. And on FB there are a couple of photos of Biscuit he would have to have searched in albums for. But pretty sweet to think all dogs do go to heaven. And he mentioned my mother loving to cook, but she worked a lot so hadn't had a lot of time to cook. My dad who was on disability later in life would cook a lot. So these things were disappointing.

There were a few things that he said and one thing that happened that gave me hope. Right off the bat he said my mom came through and she said she really liked my hair and just that morning I had been worried I'd fried my hair because of coloring it and was worried about it falling out.

And then he said that my mom wanted to comment on my childhood, and he said it was that I loved to dance and twirl around the house and was in a dance group. Well that is right, and maybe the majority of girls are like this, so there's that. But I was an oddball and would dance in slips to the stereo all around the living room when I was like 7 or 8.

Then in the middle he mentioned that I had been going through a faith crisis, and trying to figure out what my path is to be. He nailed that! There is nothing on FB about that! And he didn't ask me anything about myself, I was pretty silent the whole time. The only thing he'd ask was a couple of names and who they were, other than that he said he preferred I didn't offer things at all. 

And he nailed that both my father-in-law and my dad died from heart conditions. My dad a heart attack, and FIL had heart failure, so there's that. Then toward the very end, a song came on the stereo that I had picked for my dad's funeral CD I made. It was absolutely awesome and I'm hoping it was not a coincidence. And no, he didn't have all songs on the stereo that had to do with loved ones moving one, I was paying attention to the songs. It was "Hero" by Mariah Carey. I'll post for your listening pleasure!

If this gave you comfort I am glad.  He may even have received true information from beyond the veil.

But revelation has many sources.  And that can even include google.  

On 12/7/2018 at 9:30 AM, Lucian Hodoboc said:

I apologize for the lack of clarity in my initial post. Like I said, this thread was not started in order to criticize any beliefs, but rather to help me find out others' opinions about the issue I have struggled with in my own life. 🙂

I just want the job of greeting atheists as they pass through the veil.

Edited by JLHPROF
On 12/7/2018 at 2:56 PM, The Nehor said:

My husband does semi conductor circuit design. He kind of laughed. He said some of quantum electrodynamics works, but there is some real crazy quantum electrodynamics that they are not sure about yet. 

I try to understand what God wants for me and wants me to do. I try to be where he wants me to be. If, when trying to follow God, I don't get it right and he consigns me to hell that would be a cruel joke and makes me think I would prefer to live in hell than to live with someone who would treat his child this way. 

On December 3, 2018 at 1:19 PM, Lucian Hodoboc said:

In the afterlife, in case it turns out that your beliefs were not the correct ones and, because of this, God sentences you to eternity in hell, will you consider yourself wronged? Will you try to bring arguments to support your cause or will you obediently accept the sentence?

I think maybe worse than "Hell", is to live one's life second guessing every move or belief, out of fear that each decision "might" be wrong. This is also a favorite argument that Evangelicans love to use, to "plant the seed of doubt", in the minds of all who do not believe as they do. God has all knowledge, and he knows the heart of all who will stand before him, which means he truly knows who loved him, with all of their, "might, mind, and soul", and if there be any error, (honest error) and he wishes to burn them forever, then he is not, "all wise", nor "all loving", and therefore not the God of scripture.

On 12/9/2018 at 3:27 PM, JLHPROF said:

"Surpiiiiiiise!" ;) :D 

:rofl: :D :rofl: 

I don't think any kind of loving God would do that. None of us, or at least very few of us, have a perfect knowledge of the absolute truth. I would say I have a perfect knowledge of God but I really am not sure of anything beyond that. Since everything is so unclear in this life and the Spirit is hard to understand in general I think God understands. I don't believe the purpose here on earth is to know and believe everything. That comes in the eternities.

3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Can I dress like a stereotypical red horned devil with a sharp pitchfork and stand next to you with a disturbing grin on my face while you do this?

Really though, which of us is the angel and which the devil?

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:27 PM, JLHPROF said:

I wish I had been there when Stephen Hawking went through.  First, the astonishment of continuing instead of ending, then the joy of no longer being confined to technology to survive and communicate.  

On 12/3/2018 at 10:19 AM, Lucian Hodoboc said:

In the afterlife, in case it turns out that your beliefs were not the correct ones and, because of this, God sentences you to eternity in hell, will you consider yourself wronged? Will you try to bring arguments to support your cause or will you obediently accept the sentence?

There is only one time I thought I was wrong. 

But that  turned out to be an error. 😳

Edited by mrmarklin
On 12/3/2018 at 10:19 AM, Lucian Hodoboc said:

As a former LDS, now atheist, if it turns out that I am wrong in my belief that there is no god, I figure bringing arguments to support my cause will be fruitless, as I was raised in the LDS faith and chose a different path, so it's not as if I wasn't exposed to the teachings of the plan of salvation and exaltation from an LDS perspective. Nor did I find any convincing basis for belief in the many other religions that i studied and visited after leaving the LDS church. I may however question the logic in god's plan in sentencing me to an eternity in hell for a lapse in judgement that lasted for 80ish years of an eternal existence; the punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime.

On 12/3/2018 at 12:19 PM, Lucian Hodoboc said:

I would certainly be asking Him why He told me otherwise

9 hours ago, Walden said:

As a former LDS, now atheist, if it turns out that I am wrong in my belief that there is no god, I figure bringing arguments to support my cause will be fruitless, as I was raised in the LDS faith and chose a different path, so it's not as if I wasn't exposed to the teachings of the plan of salvation and exaltation from an LDS perspective. Nor did I find any convincing basis for belief in the many other religions that i studied and visited after leaving the LDS church. I may however question the logic in god's plan in sentencing me to an eternity in hell for a lapse in judgement that lasted for 80ish years of an eternal existence; the punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime.

Don’t worry. 

No matter where you end up, it’s better than here. 

Just sad you couldn’t find the truth spiritually. It’s the only way. There is no physical proof. 

20 hours ago, Walden said:

Except in the case of the LDS church, you wouldn't be sent to "hell".  I suspect that once you landed in the Sprit World you would immediately understand that you had chosen incorrectly, and upon repenting and being re-baptized by proxy, you would soon be enjoying life in the Terrestrial Kingdom.  I've heard it's really nice there -- much nicer than here.

On 12/3/2018 at 11:19 AM, Lucian Hodoboc said:

If you are going to believe in God, might as well believe God is loving, Just, merciful - if God is not any of those things I don't want to live with Him.  If God accepts everyone, if He supported everyone equally, if He taught everyone equally well - that is loving and just - if everyone was given what they personally needed to be refined, and we all make it to heaven together - that is the only scenario that makes God loving just and merciful- the only scenario that makes Him worth seeking and spending eternity with.

Edited by changed
4 hours ago, changed said:

If you are going to believe in God, might as well believe God is loving, Just, merciful - if God is not any of those things I don't want to live with Him. 

If God accepts everyone, if He supported everyone equally, if He taught everyone equally well - that is loving and just - if everyone was given what they personally needed to be refined, and we all make it to heaven together - that is the only scenario that makes God loving just and merciful- the only scenario that makes Him worth seeking and spending eternity with.

I split your quote because I agree completely with the first part.

The second part is NOT an accurate definition of loving, just and merciful at all.  You describe a variation of the adversary's plan and I disagree with it.  God does provide equally and fairly but he doesn't violate law to do it.

5 hours ago, changed said:

If you are going to believe in God, might as well believe God is loving, Just, merciful - if God is not any of those things I don't want to live with Him.  If God accepts everyone, if He supported everyone equally, if He taught everyone equally well - that is loving and just - if everyone was given what they personally needed to be refined, and we all make it to heaven together - that is the only scenario that makes God loving just and merciful- the only scenario that makes Him worth seeking and spending eternity with.

Changed, isn't this a type of making God in your own image, the image of how you think things should be? If we believe that there is a God, don't we have to really find out what the truth is about Him rather than try to apply our ideals with our necessarily limited understanding of eternity and what a loving God actually would or would not do? If there is a God, whether it be the God as envisioned by Islam, Buddhists, the Romans, the Greeks, or some variant of God as envisioned by Christians, that God is who we have to deal with. And maybe there are those who would not wish to deal with a God as envisioned by any of the different religions, the reality is that whatever He is or is not, we will have to deal with that reality.

I personally believe in a just, loving God, but I also believe that I do not know enough, and probably am not able to understand God fully, not even close, from an eternal perspective. The only thing I can do, the only thing any of us can do, is to seek to know the truth as far as we are able to obtain it and understand it. And I also believe that when we pass this mortal portal and see all that God is and what He has in store for us, we all will forget whatever ideals and misgivings that we had about God and His Kingdom because what He has in store for us will be better than anything we can imagine as mortals. In the vision of the three degrees of glory described in Doctrine and Covenants 76 we read in verse 89 "And thus we saw, in the heavenly vision, the glory of the telestial, which surpasses all understanding;"

Maybe the most difficult thing is for us to accept that premise on faith when we look around this world and all of the misery, suffering, and injustices that abound. We wonder why God would allow those things, but it is a fact that those things exist. It is a point of faith that we have to accept that there are things that we yet not capable of understanding. And without some type of spiritual confirmation, it is all the more difficult. The latter is what has removed the doubts from my mind, but has yet to give me the full picture. I am still (as we all are) seeing through that glass, but darkly.

Glenn

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:49 PM, Walden said:

Are you an atheist because you failed to find objective evidence of God's existence? Or is it something else?  I realize that you may have explained yourself before, but I don't think I've ever read your story.

On 12/23/2018 at 5:05 PM, JLHPROF said:

God does provide equally and fairly but he doesn't violate law to do it.

Like I said, if God does actually provide equally and fairly for all - if everyone is supported as they need to be, and given the refining experiences they personally need to grow, then "by His fruits I will know Him" - the fruits?  How many people are actually "saved". 

No fruits?  or very very few fruits?  "Few there be that find Him"? - then sorry, I will not be impressed, I will not be convinced that God is powerful or loving or just or any of it.

Lots of fruits?  Everyone together forever?  - then great!  That is what will convince me that God is actually loving and just.

I am 100% not interested in any supposed "heaven" that only contains a "little" flock.  I will stay with the "big" flock.

On 12/23/2018 at 5:34 PM, Glenn101 said:

Changed, isn't this a type of making God in your own image, the image of how you think things should be? If we believe that there is a God, don't we have to really find out what the truth is about Him rather than try to apply our ideals with our necessarily limited understanding of eternity and what a loving God actually would or would not do? If there is a God, whether it be the God as envisioned by Islam, Buddhists, the Romans, the Greeks, or some variant of God as envisioned by Christians, that God is who we have to deal with. And maybe there are those who would not wish to deal with a God as envisioned by any of the different religions, the reality is that whatever He is or is not, we will have to deal with that reality.

I personally believe in a just, loving God, but I also believe that I do not know enough, and probably am not able to understand God fully, not even close, from an eternal perspective. The only thing I can do, the only thing any of us can do, is to seek to know the truth as far as we are able to obtain it and understand it. And I also believe that when we pass this mortal portal and see all that God is and what He has in store for us, we all will forget whatever ideals and misgivings that we had about God and His Kingdom because what He has in store for us will be better than anything we can imagine as mortals. In the vision of the three degrees of glory described in Doctrine and Covenants 76 we read in verse 89 "And thus we saw, in the heavenly vision, the glory of the telestial, which surpasses all understanding;"

Maybe the most difficult thing is for us to accept that premise on faith when we look around this world and all of the misery, suffering, and injustices that abound. We wonder why God would allow those things, but it is a fact that those things exist. It is a point of faith that we have to accept that there are things that we yet not capable of understanding. And without some type of spiritual confirmation, it is all the more difficult. The latter is what has removed the doubts from my mind, but has yet to give me the full picture. I am still (as we all are) seeing through that glass, but darkly.

Glenn

Love, peace, wisdom, joy, health, strength, mercy, justice, integrity, work ethic - these are the principles I seek.  For those spiritual beings who espouse to the same moral principles, great!  We will be united by those principles.  Principles are my God.  I seek to understand principles that are real and can be applied in the here and now - comes what may... let principles of justice, mercy, and love prevail.  Will that condemn me?

Euthyphro dilemma

Principles are not something I have invented - a good researcher always relies on more than one source, and I now rely on more than one source for my religious beliefs, for beliefs on what principles are correct and yield the best fruits.  Will this condemn me?  Is this the wrong approach to take?

http://www.scifiwright.com/2013/02/illustrations-of-the-tao/

I have felt the spirit in multiple religious environments now... and have also read up on a bit of neuroscience on what those altruistic heard-instinct reward centers of the brain can do for you ;)  ... I like the idea of being together forever with family  and my family happens to be very religiously diverse - I love that diversity.  

The Mormon idea of Heaven?  Polygamy?? just a few people who "make it"? faith without reason, without logic, without respect for personal thoughts and intelligence? without respect of other religious journeys and groups? anthing involving one group of people thinking they are better than others - thinking they are saved while others are not -   sorry, sounds like hell to me...

Edited by changed
On 12/3/2018 at 12:19 PM, Lucian Hodoboc said:

On earth as it i in Heaven? or in Heaven as it is on Earth?  I do think we are dual beings - spirit and body.  Just a bunch of spirits above as there are here on earth right now.  I suppose the religious diversity reflects the diversity of heaven - that Heaven will have different religious group and spiritual leaders just as we have on Earth right now.  so...

What makes more sense to you?

Reincarnation - if at first you don't succeed, try try again?  Sure makes sense to me.  

The Christian solution - sure the atonement is a good excuse to forgive - but forgiveness does not really refine?  I can forgive my students for not studying, but it does not mean they know the material... Can anyone here explain how the atonement actually lets students know the material?... I mean if you forgive someone for a bad diet or not exercising, does that forgiveness make them strong and healthy?  Forgive someone for not practicing the piano, and they can suddenly play the piano?   I think not.... sounds like an idea of the "easy way out" that does not actually refine anyone??

How many here have seriously studied and prayed about other religious systems?  How many are still practicing the faith they were raised with?  

How many believe they just happened to be born into the "one true church" haha

Edited by changed