Seriously No Politics ×

In case it turns out you are wrong...

6 minutes ago, Lucian Hodoboc said:

In the afterlife, in case it turns out that your beliefs were not the correct ones and, because of this, God sentences you to eternity in hell, will you consider yourself wronged? Will you try to bring arguments to support your cause or will you obediently accept the sentence?

That's a pretty big hypothetical.

Ok.  So if god put me in hell for being a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (is that actually a thing people believe?) then of course I would appeal. 

I would say: I followed many rules in good faith. I loved people genuinely in good faith because I loved God.  And I gave up far too much in good faith because I loved you. 

Arguing with God in my own behalf seems a bit silly, since He know all... and I’m nothing.  But maybe I’d get points for being feisty. 

And then, I’d kick back and relax with a beer and nachos.  I hear, after all, that hell is what we’re doing now and that the after life isn’t so bad. 

Sometimes I like to imagine that eternity is exactly as we believe it is. 

Most of the time, I accept my Terrestrial fate. 

18 minutes ago, Lucian Hodoboc said:

My apologies if it seems too controversial, but I've been struggling with this question a lot over the years and I wanted to see what others thought about the issue. 😐

It's not controversial, it's just that the hypothetical is so far out of the realm of mortal human experience that I don't think anyone could really say how they would or would not react.

6 hours ago, Lucian Hodoboc said:

In the afterlife, in case it turns out that your beliefs were not the correct ones and, because of this, God sentences you to eternity in hell, will you consider yourself wronged? Will you try to bring arguments to support your cause or will you obediently accept the sentence?

Are you speaking of the beliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints? If our beliefs are wrong in that one attain salvation through any of the 30000 plus Christian denominations, then I see no problem. We believe that Jesus the Christ is our Savior and Redeemer. We believe on His name. The only thing that I can see is that we would be making a lot of extra effort for naught. Other than that we would all be judged based upon the what is in the books about us that are mentioned in Revelation 20:12.

Now, as to whether I or anyone else would accept being separated into that herd of goats, I don't think anyone is going to accept that gladly. There is something written about a lot of weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth.

Now, what if your beliefs are wrong???

Glenn

6 hours ago, Lucian Hodoboc said:

That posits an ignoble god, not worthy of the name.  It is the antithesis of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  And, of course, there is the afterlife in which to perform those ordinances which remain to be done before the final judgment.  LDS theology argues for a just God who is merciful and whose Son provides the grace necessary to make up for anything we lack.  Salvation is free and universal.

If it's the same God that is described in the Bible then as far as I'm concerned there's nothing to worry about. Your question has no answer because it shouldn't even be asked.
You are presenting a false delima.  God would not punish us for doing what we have been taught is truth as learned from the Bible or any other book of scripture. If He did He is not God if He doesn't give everyone a chance to make it to heaven. 

8 hours ago, Lucian Hodoboc said:

In the afterlife, we each will stand before our Savior and our Father, beings of infinite intelligence and complete truth. Why would I not already know that my understanding of Jesus and his teachings is finite, broken, incomplete, and lacking? However, what I do know is that I know the Savior as my Lord and Master. He beckons me to continue to follow him even in my weakness and failures. He assures me that my efforts and works will not save me, but his Grace is sufficient to bring me into his presence. You have created a false construct that does not apply to Jesus Christ and his teachings. 

53 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Has no one ever played “what if” before ? 

Yes but this is like asking  "What if I were to grow a long trunk with tusks and big ears and looked like an elephant? " 
It's something that is not going to happen so why worry about it?
It's easier to believe that there is  nothing after this life. If there is something then there are going to be rules and a plan as to what happens to us there that we should have some control over. 

Edited by JAHS

I'm made an appointment with a local Medium this Saturday, was hoping he will tell me a little bit about the afterlife, that's a big hope though. But if he is communicating with those on the other side you'd think he'd have some idea right!?!

2 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I'm made an appointment with a local Medium this Saturday, was hoping he will tell me a little bit about the afterlife, that's a big hope though. But if he is communicating with those on the other side you'd think he'd have some idea right!?!

There is a pretty big “if” in there.

1 hour ago, JAHS said:

Yes but this is like asking  "What if I were to grow a long trunk with tusks and big ears and looked like an elephant? " 
It's something that is not going to happen so why worry about it?
It's easier to believe that there is  nothing after this life. If there is something then there are going to be rules and a plan as to what happens to us there that we should have some control over. 

Sure.  I’m just thinking that possible or not, Lucians been mulling this over, because there’s a chance we are all wrong about eternity and what would it be like to find that out.... and yeah, some religions think Mormons are the Devils Spawn and that we are going to burn.  They are as sure of their truth as we are of ours.  So... what if they are right? How will we feel? 

I think is a legit concern for Someone to have.  Even though I don’t believe that will happen. I can understand Lucian’s anxiety around the possibility. And I imagine that I’ll be sitting in hell under the circumstances super mad that I never tried coffee only to burn Eternally! But I’m not worried about it.  I think  Everything’s gonna be OK as long as I don’t have to be a sister wife.

Edited by MustardSeed

Ohhh... I’m new.  I didn’t realize Lucian was not Mormon.  

It sort of makes the question sound different, as if there is an agenda behind it.  Like... hey, I dare you to question your beliefs. 

I get it now.  But I can still play along.  Yeah, I’d be pretty mad if I burned in hell for my membership in a church that teaches me to honor God and love people.  

I really think even if we are totally wrong, that God knows my heart and won’t send me to Hell to burn.  😕

3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Tacenda!  

Really?

GG

Edited by Garden Girl
5 hours ago, JAHS said:

If it's the same God that is described in the Bible then as far as I'm concerned there's nothing to worry about. Your question has no answer because it shouldn't even be asked.
You are presenting a false delima.  God would not punish us for doing what we have been taught is truth as learned from the Bible or any other book of scripture. If He did He is not God if He doesn't give everyone a chance to make it to heaven. 

How is it a false dilemma? There are several thousand religions in the world, each of them claiming that salvation is based on certain particular aspects, whether those aspects be faith, works or randomness. There will always be chances that a particular religion is incorrect. I don't see how asking what you will do, if it turns out that said particular religion is the one you adhered to, is a false dilemma.

4 hours ago, Lucian Hodoboc said:

How is it a false dilemma? There are several thousand religions in the world, each of them claiming that salvation is based on certain particular aspects, whether those aspects be faith, works or randomness. There will always be chances that a particular religion is incorrect. I don't see how asking what you will do, if it turns out that said particular religion is the one you adhered to, is a false dilemma.

If it turns out that when I die I find out that my beliefs are the wrong ones, I think I can make the adjustment to accepting what is the truth. But regardless of which religion is right I don't think I or anyone would burn in Hell for what I have believed and how I have lived my life, treating others as I want them to treat me. 

9 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Let me save you a few bucks:

Your loved ones are in a happy place and are watching over you. They want the best for you and forgive you and whatever else you need. Details about the afterlife will be sparse and unenlightening. The messages anyone has for you will be banal but heartwarming.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediumship