Sign in to follow this  
Maidservant

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Baghdad, Iraq

12 hours ago, Maidservant said:

Wow.  Did a Wiki lookup and found the article on them to be very interesting.  Their "take" on Lucifer is quite unique, and is apparently why Muslims consider them devil worshippers, which they most certainly are not.

Canada took in a special cohort of Yazidi refugees recently. One of the receiving cities is Calgary, as we have a very experienced and well-regarded refugee resettlement NGO here. I'm working with them in my capacity as a refugee and immigration policy analyst and researcher. Here's an interesting article on them if interested.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, halconero said:

Canada took in a special cohort of Yazidi refugees recently. One of the receiving cities is Calgary, as we have a very experienced and well-regarded refugee resettlement NGO here. I'm working with them in my capacity as a refugee and immigration policy analyst and researcher. Here's an interesting article on them if interested.

Horrible.

This is the kind of thing that has changed my view of Islam over the years.  I used to have a great deal of respect for Islam, as a faith that men live by, but that respect has gradually turned to comtempt.  Since this is a potential derail of the thread, I invite no-one to respond to this my post.  But I had to say it.

4 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Horrible.

This is the kind of thing that has changed my view of Islam over the years.  I used to have a great deal of respect for Islam, as a faith that men live by, but that respect has gradually turned to comtempt.  Since this is a potential derail of the thread, I invite no-one to respond to this my post.  But I had to say it.

Just to be contrary.......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Just to be contrary.......

I expected no less! :D 

On 12/6/2018 at 7:37 AM, Stargazer said:

Horrible.

I'm going to be slightly contrary, and say that it's important we identify the particular thread of Islam most at fault for this type of violence - Wahhabism, also called Salafism by its followers. I won't go into its history much, it's easily searchable, but in my experience with foreign affairs, study of religion, and work with refugees, it's the ideological brain child of most Islamic terrorism. It's spawn include the Islamic State, Al Qaeda, and Hamas among others. Identifying the strain allows us to thread the very important needle of accurately identifying the problem within, something others tend to sweep under the rug, while not mitigating potential allies in the fight. This was the advice given to me by Eran Lehrman when I was in Israel on a fact finding mission and policy trip. He emphasized the need to understand what's occurring as not a clash of civilizations, but a civil war within a civilization, one rooted in the idea of the soul's destiny, with spillover effects hurting everyone else.

• Like 1

For me personally, it is painful to read articles such as this. A few of us knew back in 2002 and 2003 what kind of humanitarian disaster would follow an Invasion of Iraq by the United States. It was all too obvious. But we were labeled unpatriotic.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:19 AM, halconero said:

I'm going to be slightly contrary, and say that it's important we identify the particular thread of Islam most at fault for this type of violence - Wahhabism, also called Salafism by its followers. I won't go into its history much, it's easily searchable, but in my experience with foreign affairs, study of religion, and work with refugees, it's the ideological brain child of most Islamic terrorism. It's spawn include the Islamic State, Al Qaeda, and Hamas among others. Identifying the strain allows us to thread the very important needle of accurately identifying the problem within, something others tend to sweep under the rug, while not mitigating potential allies in the fight. This was the advice given to me by Eran Lehrman when I was in Israel on a fact finding mission and policy trip. He emphasized the need to understand what's occurring as not a clash of civilizations, but a civil war within a civilization, one rooted in the idea of the soul's destiny, with spillover effects hurting everyone else.

I appreciate what you're saying, but I don't believe that Wahhabism is the only strain of Islam that has a problem.  

20 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I appreciate what you're saying, but I don't believe that Wahhabism is the only strain of Islam that has a problem.  

Which others would you posit are a primary source for problems? The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, al-Qaeda, Al-Shabaab, Boko Haram, Indonesian Mujahedeen Council, Taliban, Sipah Sahaba, Lashkar-e-Jhangvi and Hizbul Mujahideen area all derived from Wahhabi/Salafi/Deobandi Islam. I suppose you could make a case for Qutbism. More than anything, it is entirely wrong and reductionist to ignore the various branches, schools, derivations of Islam when trying to pinpoint ideological trigger points for Islamic terrorism.

Furthermore, it's a useless counter-terrorism policymaking exercise. The counter-terrorism policymaking community (of which I am somewhat related to via my specializations in immigration and foreign policy) doesn't do this. We identify ideological schools within Islam, not Islam itself, and it's allowed us to be much more effective in developing intelligence, counter-intelligence, and military responses to Islamic terrorism. Many of these responses rely on identifying correct schools and ideologies, as our ground game relies hugely on human intelligence actors among domestic and foreign Muslim allies.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:38 PM, halconero said:

Which others would you posit are a primary source for problems? The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, al-Qaeda, Al-Shabaab, Boko Haram, Indonesian Mujahedeen Council, Taliban, Sipah Sahaba, Lashkar-e-Jhangvi and Hizbul Mujahideen area all derived from Wahhabi/Salafi/Deobandi Islam. I suppose you could make a case for Qutbism. More than anything, it is entirely wrong and reductionist to ignore the various branches, schools, derivations of Islam when trying to pinpoint ideological trigger points for Islamic terrorism.

Furthermore, it's a useless counter-terrorism policymaking exercise. The counter-terrorism policymaking community (of which I am somewhat related to via my specializations in immigration and foreign policy) doesn't do this. We identify ideological schools within Islam, not Islam itself, and it's allowed us to be much more effective in developing intelligence, counter-intelligence, and military responses to Islamic terrorism. Many of these responses rely on identifying correct schools and ideologies, as our ground game relies hugely on human intelligence actors among domestic and foreign Muslim allies.

I'm not arguing that we should lump all of Islam together, any more than I would argue that all of Christendom should be lumped together. All I'm saying is that Islam seems to have a more problematic relationship to violence, regardless of which flavor of Islam is adhered to.  It's my feeling, informed by news.  Also informed by research.  Check the Pew Research survey covering "Attitudes Toward Extremism Among Muslim Publics".  Sure approval of suicide bombing might be a minority view, but the size of the minority is significant!  It's not just a tiny minority of extremists, it's a very respectable minority verging on a majority in some places.  At least in the countries surveyed.  This is NOT a healthy situation.

You can argue, if you want, that it's not that bad all over.  But so what?  I am not making policy, I am observing something highly dangerous.  So go ahead and do what you have to do as a policymaker or influencer!  I understand that there are nuances.  But it doesn't change my feelings of suspicion towards Islam.

Sign in to follow this