Seriously No Politics ×

New Jerusalem...?

So I suppose this post is more of a jumble of questions surrounding the future city and its temples. Obviously we have multiple break off churches that have control of the land and Temple Lot there. I know that there have been some attempts to build a temple there, starting the Joseph Smith and onward. 

As I was looking at the Temple Plat I, of course, noticed the plan Joseph had for the construction of 24 temples, each with an assignment to different Offices. They were roughly the same design as the Kirtland Temple and didn’t seem to accommodate room for the ordinances like we understand the them now. 

Joseph hadn’t introduced the Nauvoo era temple instruction yet so I wondered what his original vision was for these Temples to  do? 

I’m also curious if the church or any other break off church has released what they intend to follow Joseph’s original 24 temple layout?

Also do you think that if the church were to build temples there now we would follow that pattern, or mix it up and include rooms for the ordinances as we have them now? And which temples out of 24 would they be housed in?

I know, a lot of questions. Haha

Edited by SettingDogStar
3 hours ago, SettingDogStar said:

So I suppose this post is more of a jumble of questions surrounding the future city and its temples. Obviously we have multiple break off churches that have control of the land and Temple Lot there. I know that there have been some attempts to build a temple there, starting the Joseph Smith and onward. 

As I was looking at the Temple Plat I, of course, noticed the plan Joseph had for the construction of 24 temples, each with an assignment to different Offices. They were roughly the same design as the Kirtland Temple and didn’t seem to accommodate room for the ordinances like we understand the them now. 

Joseph hadn’t introduced the Nauvoo era temple instruction yet so I wondered what his original vision was for these Temples to  do? 

I’m also curious if the church or any other break off church has released what they intend to follow Joseph’s original 24 temple layout?

Also do you think that if the church were to build temples there now we would follow that pattern, or mix it up and include rooms for the ordinances as we have them now? And which temples out of 24 would they be housed in?

I know, a lot of questions. Haha

The Great Temple in Independence, Missouri, will be the main temple of the LDS Church, at the Center Stake of Zion.  What its form will be is anyone's guess.  Some even believe that it will come down whole from heaven.  When I lived there, I knew a "prophet" who had actually drawn the detailed plans for it.  He was an architect who had been a student of Frank Lloyd Wright out in Arizona.  He is likely still preaching his version of the Restoration.

11 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

The Great Temple in Independence, Missouri, will be the main temple of the LDS Church, at the Center Stake of Zion.  What its form will be is anyone's guess.  Some even believe that it will come down whole from heaven.  When I lived there, I knew a "prophet" who had actually drawn the detailed plans for it.  He was an architect who had been a student of Frank Lloyd Wright out in Arizona.  He is likely still preaching his version of the Restoration.

Curious if those plans could be found online at all? It’s just a really intriguing subject for me. So even if this “prophet” is false, I’m still intrigued by what he would have cooked up for a temple layout.

2 hours ago, SettingDogStar said:

Curious if those plans could be found online at all? It’s just a really intriguing subject for me. So even if this “prophet” is false, I’m still intrigued by what he would have cooked up for a temple layout.

He showed me his plans (blueprints) back in the late 1970s or early 80s, and I may even have a copy somewhere, but I can't recall his name.  However, he was from Odessa, Texas, and had some run ins with the mainstream LDS in that town -- which got him put in jail.  He had a yen for nubile young women of about age 14.  He focused on one in particular, even though he was in his 40s. Her father beat him up, and the police sided with her father.  A true tale of woe.