Seriously No Politics ×

Mike Stroud anyone?

My friend, who struggles in life, has found respite in the spoken words of Mike Strouds podcast on the Fullness of the Atonement.  I listened for a bit but was uncomfortable with it so looked into the speaker and discovered that in 2017 he’d been reprimanded by the church.  I can’t tell if the podcast I heard was originally released before his reprimand or what but I wondered where stroud landed? I don’t want my friend following some rogue whackado without knowing it. 

https://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=47011

Mike Stroud Reeled in by the church

2017 Nov 08, 3:58 pm

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/mstr ... 2_55-08_00

Mike Stroud has been counseled and talked to by the church, has admitted a list of inappropriate teachings, and will willfully submit to the church. He will cease his podcasts and take them off the internet. The link is his last podcast, all of which will be taken down in a few days.

Edited by mfbukowski

He is apparently selling at cost his older podcasts since this is dated as published in Feb 2017, so it looks to me he has changed his mind:

https://www.amazon.com/Highly-Favored-Lord-Stroud-Podcasts/dp/1541010183

It is possible that it is the person listed as a fellow author, Mechelle McDermott iirc, from what someone said in a Reddit forum, but she must have his approval whether spoken or silence, imo, as he being the podcast person could stop it if he wanted to.  Otoh, he was simply asked apparently, not threatened with discipline, so perhaps he thinks it is not imperative to remove them from the public and feels McDermott has the right to them for helping him in some fashion (not sure what she did, fellow podcaster perhaps?).

She is the one who put the older podcasts on nofearpreps according to Reddit.  She is apparently prominent in the prepper movement, speaks at their conferences, etc.

Edited by Calm

My concern was this... my friend appears to be a fan, and she has found comfort in his words.  I’d hate to burst her bubble and say that it’s been denounced if by chance his new stuff is legit.  

Maybe it’s not new after all.  I figured maybe someone here would know of him.  

I think I’ll just let her know he was reprimanded a year ago And that Ballard referred to his stuff from the pulpit in GC and let my friend sort out the rest. 

I listened and it turned me off immediately but I guess my friend had a very different experience.  I know I have a low tolerance for paid ministry. 

Edited by MustardSeed
6 hours ago, cinepro said:

Just tell your friend to trust the Spirit.

Problem is she loves what he has to say. 

I went to TOFW once and apparently was the only one in the room not feeling the spirit.  I really doubt it’s due to anything other than a room full of people influenced by high emotion and book sales and me not getting excited by the hype.  The spirit is felt in mysterious ways I guess. 

I recall the same thing happening at girls camp for my daughter and me.  A hysterical camp director called girls to the stage to participate in a dramatic exercise.  My daughter looked across at me with horror and I just shrugged. 

Telling folks to follow the spirit sometimes can backfire- I just stuck with facts and turns out my friend actually listened up.  :)

Michelle "Shelle" McDermott's prophetic timeline on that same website includes plagues, missionaries called home, the assassination of the president, a Utah Earthquake, the anti-Christ coming to power, World War III, America invaded, a comet hitting the Earth, along with accepting some views of apostate Bishop John Koyle, etc.  cimprint@live.com ,  nofearpreps.com .

• 2 months later...

I haven't heard many good things about Mike stroud lately. He is seeking the spotlight more and more with new podcasts. 

I highly recommend this letter that was sent to his leadership in January 2019

https://www.facebook.com/2192820574108082/posts/2242375009152638/

10 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Oh no! My friend is big into TOFW. :(

TOFW is fine. It is not for everyone, but the one I went to was good. Yep, there was some emotional stuff, but no more than I have seen anywhere else. 

If you remember one of the missions of the Spirit - to confirm truth then it is no wonder that many women,  and men, feel the Spirit there, as the speakers talk about the atonement, repentance, service, fulfilling our callings etc. It also has some beautiful music even if that kind of music isn't liked by some.  

Edited by Rain
32 minutes ago, Rain said:

TOFW is fine. It is not for everyone, but the one I went to was good. Yep, there was some emotional stuff, but no more than I have seen anywhere else. 

If you remember one of the missions of the Spirit - to confirm truth then it is no wonder that many women,  and men, feel the Spirit there, as the speakers talk about the atonement, repentance, service, fulfilling our callings etc. It also has some beautiful music even if that kind of music isn't limited by some.  

I'm just worried she listened to anything to do with Mike Stroud. My friend is extremely goal oriented to a fault sometimes. She puts so much stress on herself when it comes to the church and taking care of so many people, despite some real health challenges. To give you an example, she would lug tons of items for an exercise class every day of the week at the church until I begged her to ask someone in her ward to let her use a closet to put the equipment in. She did this for the women in her ward for 2 years. She has severe restless leg syndrome and sometimes at night she'll walk her dog to get some relief, not safe at all. She is always in a demanding calling, from Primary president, to Young Women's president (camp and all) to Relief Society teacher to now Activity Days leader. She hopefully isn't having to sit through instruction on the end of days prep work or anything. 

Thanks for the reassurance! She went to the last one, and the years before. This year she took her daughter and daughter-in-law and they stayed in a hotel the night of and had a blast.

Edited by Tacenda
7 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I'm just worried she listened to anything to do with Mike Stroud. My friend is extremely goal oriented to a fault sometimes. She puts so much stress on herself when it comes to the church and taking care of so many people, despite some real health challenges. To give you an example, she would lug tons of items for an exercise class every day of the week at the church until I begged her to ask someone in her ward to let her use a closet to put the equipment in. She did this for the women in her ward for 2 years. She has severe restless leg syndrome and sometimes at night she'll walk her dog to get some relief, not safe at all. She is always in a demanding calling, from Primary president, to Young Women's president (camp and all) to Relief Society teacher to now Activity Days leader. She hopefully isn't having to sit through instruction on the end of days prep work or anything. 

Thanks for the reassurance! She went to the last one, and the years before. This year she took her daughter and daughter-in-law and they stayed in a hotel the night of and had a blast.

I doubt you will find him at TOFW. Not really the subject they look for even if there were not the problems discussed on this thread. 

The only reason TOFW was brought up in this thread was because someone said to listen to the Spirit and mustard said that some people feel the Spirit at TOFW and she doesn't get it. Nothing about Mike Stroud being there.

Edited by Rain
41 minutes ago, Rain said:

I doubt you will find him at TOFW. Not really the subject they look for even if there were not the problems discussed on this thread. 

The only reason TOFW was brought up in this thread was because someone said to listen to the Spirit and mustard said that some people feel the Spirit at TOFW and she doesn't get it. Nothing about Mike Stroud being there.

With speakers who talk about the Atonement, or the temple, etc. I don't understand why anyone would wonder why some people would feel the spirit at TOFW.

6 minutes ago, bluebell said:

With speakers who talk about the Atonement, or the temple, etc. I don't understand why anyone would wonder why some people would feel the spirit at TOFW.

I know some people have a problem with people getting paid to speak because they feel it is priestcraft,  but the BoM says that priestcraft is teaching false doctrine for riches and honor. So if they are humbly teaching true principles and doctrine with a modest amount earned it isn't priestcraft.