Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MustardSeed

Mike Stroud anyone?

Recommended Posts

My friend, who struggles in life, has found respite in the spoken words of Mike Strouds podcast on the Fullness of the Atonement.  I listened for a bit but was uncomfortable with it so looked into the speaker and discovered that in 2017 he’d been reprimanded by the church.  I can’t tell if the podcast I heard was originally released before his reprimand or what but I wondered where stroud landed? I don’t want my friend following some rogue whackado without knowing it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

https://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=47011

 

Quote

 

Mike Stroud Reeled in by the church

2017 Nov 08, 3:58 pm

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/mstr ... 2_55-08_00

Mike Stroud has been counseled and talked to by the church, has admitted a list of inappropriate teachings, and will willfully submit to the church. He will cease his podcasts and take them off the internet. The link is his last podcast, all of which will be taken down in a few days.

 

 
Edited by mfbukowski

Share this post


Link to post

He is apparently selling at cost his older podcasts since this is dated as published in Feb 2017, so it looks to me he has changed his mind:

https://www.amazon.com/Highly-Favored-Lord-Stroud-Podcasts/dp/1541010183

It is possible that it is the person listed as a fellow author, Mechelle McDermott iirc, from what someone said in a Reddit forum, but she must have his approval whether spoken or silence, imo, as he being the podcast person could stop it if he wanted to.  Otoh, he was simply asked apparently, not threatened with discipline, so perhaps he thinks it is not imperative to remove them from the public and feels McDermott has the right to them for helping him in some fashion (not sure what she did, fellow podcaster perhaps?).

She is the one who put the older podcasts on nofearpreps according to Reddit.  She is apparently prominent in the prepper movement, speaks at their conferences, etc.

Edited by Calm

Share this post


Link to post

My concern was this... my friend appears to be a fan, and she has found comfort in his words.  I’d hate to burst her bubble and say that it’s been denounced if by chance his new stuff is legit.  

Maybe it’s not new after all.  I figured maybe someone here would know of him.  

I think I’ll just let her know he was reprimanded a year ago And that Ballard referred to his stuff from the pulpit in GC and let my friend sort out the rest. 

I listened and it turned me off immediately but I guess my friend had a very different experience.  I know I have a low tolerance for paid ministry. 

Edited by MustardSeed

Share this post


Link to post

It looks like his old stuff, but put up by another person, but I am checking with some friends who sometimes have studied the prepper movement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I don’t want my friend following some rogue whackado without knowing it. 

Just tell your friend to trust the Spirit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, cinepro said:

Just tell your friend to trust the Spirit.

Problem is she loves what he has to say. 

I went to TOFW once and apparently was the only one in the room not feeling the spirit.  I really doubt it’s due to anything other than a room full of people influenced by high emotion and book sales and me not getting excited by the hype.  The spirit is felt in mysterious ways I guess. 

I recall the same thing happening at girls camp for my daughter and me.  A hysterical camp director called girls to the stage to participate in a dramatic exercise.  My daughter looked across at me with horror and I just shrugged. 

Telling folks to follow the spirit sometimes can backfire- I just stuck with facts and turns out my friend actually listened up.  :)

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, cinepro said:

Just tell your friend to trust the Spirit.

Dangerous advice for many who make false gods in their own image and imagine the confirmation of the Spirit is the same thing as them liking something.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Michelle "Shelle" McDermott's prophetic timeline on that same website includes plagues, missionaries called home, the assassination of the president, a Utah Earthquake, the anti-Christ coming to power, World War III, America invaded, a comet hitting the Earth, along with accepting some views of apostate Bishop John Koyle, etc.  [email protected] ,  nofearpreps.com .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't heard many good things about Mike stroud lately. He is seeking the spotlight more and more with new podcasts. 

I highly recommend this letter that was sent to his leadership in January 2019

https://www.facebook.com/2192820574108082/posts/2242375009152638/

Share this post


Link to post

My sisters listen to Mike Stroud. I’ve never listened to him. I’ve had this same question.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, rodheadlee said:

What is TOFW?

Time Out For Women. It’s put on by Deseret Book. 

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Time Out For Women. It’s put on by Deseret Book. 

Oh no! My friend is big into TOFW. :(

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Oh no! My friend is big into TOFW. :(

TOFW is fine. It is not for everyone, but the one I went to was good. Yep, there was some emotional stuff, but no more than I have seen anywhere else. 

If you remember one of the missions of the Spirit - to confirm truth then it is no wonder that many women,  and men, feel the Spirit there, as the speakers talk about the atonement, repentance, service, fulfilling our callings etc. It also has some beautiful music even if that kind of music isn't liked by some.  

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Rain said:

TOFW is fine. It is not for everyone, but the one I went to was good. Yep, there was some emotional stuff, but no more than I have seen anywhere else. 

If you remember one of the missions of the Spirit - to confirm truth then it is no wonder that many women,  and men, feel the Spirit there, as the speakers talk about the atonement, repentance, service, fulfilling our callings etc. It also has some beautiful music even if that kind of music isn't limited by some.  

I'm just worried she listened to anything to do with Mike Stroud. My friend is extremely goal oriented to a fault sometimes. She puts so much stress on herself when it comes to the church and taking care of so many people, despite some real health challenges. To give you an example, she would lug tons of items for an exercise class every day of the week at the church until I begged her to ask someone in her ward to let her use a closet to put the equipment in. She did this for the women in her ward for 2 years. She has severe restless leg syndrome and sometimes at night she'll walk her dog to get some relief, not safe at all. She is always in a demanding calling, from Primary president, to Young Women's president (camp and all) to Relief Society teacher to now Activity Days leader. She hopefully isn't having to sit through instruction on the end of days prep work or anything. 

Thanks for the reassurance! She went to the last one, and the years before. This year she took her daughter and daughter-in-law and they stayed in a hotel the night of and had a blast.

Edited by Tacenda

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Oh no! My friend is big into TOFW. :(

I like them too. Sheri Dew is speaking at the Layton one this year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I'm just worried she listened to anything to do with Mike Stroud. My friend is extremely goal oriented to a fault sometimes. She puts so much stress on herself when it comes to the church and taking care of so many people, despite some real health challenges. To give you an example, she would lug tons of items for an exercise class every day of the week at the church until I begged her to ask someone in her ward to let her use a closet to put the equipment in. She did this for the women in her ward for 2 years. She has severe restless leg syndrome and sometimes at night she'll walk her dog to get some relief, not safe at all. She is always in a demanding calling, from Primary president, to Young Women's president (camp and all) to Relief Society teacher to now Activity Days leader. She hopefully isn't having to sit through instruction on the end of days prep work or anything. 

Thanks for the reassurance! She went to the last one, and the years before. This year she took her daughter and daughter-in-law and they stayed in a hotel the night of and had a blast.

I doubt you will find him at TOFW. Not really the subject they look for even if there were not the problems discussed on this thread. 

The only reason TOFW was brought up in this thread was because someone said to listen to the Spirit and mustard said that some people feel the Spirit at TOFW and she doesn't get it. Nothing about Mike Stroud being there.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, Rain said:

I doubt you will find him at TOFW. Not really the subject they look for even if there were not the problems discussed on this thread. 

The only reason TOFW was brought up in this thread was because someone said to listen to the Spirit and mustard said that some people feel the Spirit at TOFW and she doesn't get it. Nothing about Mike Stroud being there.

With speakers who talk about the Atonement, or the temple, etc. I don't understand why anyone would wonder why some people would feel the spirit at TOFW.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, bluebell said:

With speakers who talk about the Atonement, or the temple, etc. I don't understand why anyone would wonder why some people would feel the spirit at TOFW.

I know some people have a problem with people getting paid to speak because they feel it is priestcraft,  but the BoM says that priestcraft is teaching false doctrine for riches and honor. So if they are humbly teaching true principles and doctrine with a modest amount earned it isn't priestcraft.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...