Vanilla discovery

1 minute ago, Avatar4321 said:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/bronze-age-tomb-israel-reveals-earliest-known-use-vanilla

looks like they’ve found vanilla use in israel. It was originally though to originate in Mexico.

so was vanilla originally in Mexico or was it brought to Mexico?

I knew it!  All heavenly things come out of Israel. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Duncan said:

I thought he was from Florida!

Dallas, Texas!  Hence his craving for some "ice, ice baby".  But his influence has been felt across the globe, obviously.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pogi said:

Dallas, Texas!  Hence his craving for some "ice, ice baby".  But his influence has been felt across the globe, obviously.

what? Arsenio Hall lied to me! boy, you think you know someone

Edited by Duncan

5 minutes ago, pogi said:

I knew it!  All heavenly things come out of Israel. 

At last we have historical confirmation that the Book of Mormon is true history.

Obviously Lehi brought it to this hemisphere.  ;)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/bronze-age-tomb-israel-reveals-earliest-known-use-vanilla

looks like they’ve found vanilla use in israel. It was originally though to originate in Mexico.

Ahh the smoking gun, finally I can prove the historicity of the BoM to all those antis.  :P

5 minutes ago, hope_for_things said:

Ahh the smoking gun, finally I can prove the historicity of the BoM to all those antis.  :P

11 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

At last we have historical confirmation that the Book of Mormon is true history.

Obviously Lehi brought it to this hemisphere.  ;)

Swallows

11 minutes ago, Duncan said:

what? Arsenio Hall lied to me! boy, you think you know someone

Whoa, Arsenio Hall and Vanilla Ice mentioned in one thread...I love this thread! 

Ok, ok, after doing a little more research, it turns out he did move to Florida where he made his career.  I just don't wan't you to lose your faith in Arsenio over something I said. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pogi said:

Whoa, Arsenio Hall and Vanilla Ice mentioned in one thread...I love this thread! 

Ok, ok, after doing a little more research, it turns out he did move to Florida where he made his career.  I just don't wan't you to lose your faith in Arsenio over something I said. 

woof, woof, woof!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, provoman said:

Swallows

An African Swallow?

50 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

We could make a similar inquiry about tobacco and coca-related substances, which have apparently been found in some mummies from pre-Columbian Egypt (see here, here, here and here).

I'm not invested in any particular outcome of these inquiries, but they sure are interesting.

Thanks,

-Smac

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

You got me all excited, but read from your link:

"Vanillin comes from beans in vanilla orchids. About 110 species of these flowers are found in tropical areas around the world. The chemical profile of the vanillin in the Megiddo jugs best matches present-day orchid species in East Africa, India and Indonesia, Linares said."

However, I still find it intriguing that Meggidoans used vanilla from Africa as a spice. God apparently wanted to boot those vanilla-using Canaanites outta there!

Edited by RevTestament

2 hours ago, Duncan said:

woof, woof, woof!

Not a lot of people know why you're barking!! 😁 Good ole' Arsenio, love it!! Or "Pretty Woman" fans, haha!

2 hours ago, Danzo said:

An African Swallow?

I don't know that! Auuuuuuuugh! ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Amulek said:

I don't know that! Auuuuuuuugh! ...

Ni!!!

What does this have to do with anything?

9 hours ago, Danzo said:

An African Swallow?

San Juan Capistrano

Edited by Robert F. Smith

1 hour ago, ttribe said:

What does this have to do with anything?

I could be wrong, but I think it has something to do with vanilla in a Bronze Age tomb in Israel...

• Like 1

Is there some vanilla reference in The Book of Mormon that I’m not aware of? Or did Lehi and his family bring it to Mexico?

On 11/19/2018 at 9:57 PM, Judd said:

Is there some vanilla reference in The Book of Mormon that I’m not aware of? Or did Lehi and his family bring it to Mexico?

Yes. Nephi delighted in vanilla. They brought the Isaiah brand of vanilla with them from Jerusalem.

2 Nephi 25:4

4 Wherefore, hearken, O my people, which are of the house of Israel, and give ear unto my words; for because the words of Isaiah are not plain unto you, nevertheless they are plain unto all those that are filled with the spirit of prophecy. But I give unto you a prophecy, according to the spirit which is in me; wherefore I shall prophesy according to the plainness which hath been with me from the time that I came out from Jerusalem with my father; for behold, my soul delighteth in plainness unto my people, that they may learn.

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

Amazing how food can impact history. For example, Tom Standage, in his amazing book An Edible History of Humanity posits how the Columbian exchange was the origination of the vampire myth. Not transylvania (well not yet at that time), but because of maize being brought from Mexico to Europe. It is Mexico who should get the credit of the origin of the vampire myth. It was the Spanish who introduced the pineapple to Hawaii.  Who would have figured that? furthermore, the pineapple derived its name from its resemblance to a pine cone. Don't get me started of the many connections of food in the Book of Mormon to Israel.

Church is true and food is good. I'm hungry now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, smac97 said:

We could make a similar inquiry about tobacco and coca-related substances, which have apparently been found in some mummies from pre-Columbian Egypt (see here, here, here and here).

I'm not invested in any particular outcome of these inquiries, but they sure are interesting.

Thanks,

-Smac

I think ancient people traveled farther and wider than  we really know.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, sunstoned said:

I think ancient people traveled farther and wider than  we really know.

Sure, they had them aliens to drive them around to anywhere they liked.

The history channel says so!