The Nehor

Disturbing New Statistics about Seminary

8 minutes ago, cinepro said:

her Senior year they called the one teacher in the stake that my wife would not allow our daughter to be taught by, so we asked that she be allowed to do home study

That is weird, guess policies have changed.

2 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

He’s like me, obedient. And tired. 

That is me. Obedient but tired. Faithful but it’s not all puppies and rainbows in the trenches.

50 minutes ago, Bob Crockett said:

I teach early morning seminary.  It is almost useless as most of the kids come in with 10 minutes to go and they are largely there for fun and games.  Stake seminary teachers are not supervised all that well and are easily forgotten.  

But, seminary is there to permit kids to have extended contact with an adult who has been successful in the church and has a testimony.  Some nuggets of information might be retained and in fact is retained.  

I enjoy my time, even though it severely disrupts my time to go out for a run.   I think it is a big help to most.   

I know that at least for me, it is a big help and anchor.  

You'd be surprised on how much is retained by children that don't appear to be paying attention. I know I am constantly amazed on what my children remember me saying even though they don't seem to be listening. 

Just now, Calm said:

That is weird, guess policies have changed.

My Stake requires permission for home study.

11 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

I have mixed feelings about seminary. Part of me hates it. I’m tired. For some of my kids it was a negative experience. A few bad teachers....bullying. For my academic high achiever, she liked it but it led to sleep deprivation and grumpiness at times. (The AP load was intense with homework.)  She didn’t really have friends but it did encourage her to read all her scriptures. For my current seminary student, it has been great. Good teachers, it has helped her make friends who are members. I think it has really supported her anchor to the Gospel. It’s is all the things a parent would hope for. 

My autistic child was ignored.

Kids are not the same and the Seminary experience varies. 

Exactly. 

Each child is different. I have one child that I have to make her stop doing homework and go to bed, and another I have to tell to stay up late to do homework. Often on the same night. 

• Like 1

Confession:

One time I thought President Monson was more then a little provincial was when he praised a group of Utah teens for getting up at 5 AM on a Saturday to do Temple baptisms and how that shows faithfulness (and I am not implying it does not show that). My immediate mental response was that the kids around here back to when I was one of them get up and got up at 5 AM five days a week through the whole school year. When do we get praise in conference? I repented later though I found out I was not the only one in the area that had that response.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Danzo said:

The whole foreign mission thing, I don't really think is true (Unless there we a recent policy change).

I don't know about that.  I and my two brothers all served overseas (Taiwan, Brasil, Romania), and none of us came close to getting an Eagle.

Thanks,

-Smac

8 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

I don’t understand this? Why be so controlling. I don’t understand why home study must be “approved.” It should be a parents choice.

My more important question, why does it matter if one graduates from seminary.  I don't think I have ever been asked by anyone inside or outside of the church if I graduated from seminary.  

Just now, Danzo said:

My more important question, why does it matter if one graduates from seminary.  I don't think I have ever been asked by anyone inside or outside of the church if I graduated from seminary.  

I have a nice plaque because I went four years with perfect attendance.

Just now, Danzo said:

It really is a BYU thing and “faithfulness” thing.

1 minute ago, bsjkki said:

That is me. Obedient but tired. Faithful but it’s not all puppies and rainbows in the trenches.

I don’t care what people project about their rainbows and pups.  I enjoy the real-ness of a messy life... mine and others willing to tell the truth. 

I used to feel the need to tout my perfection.  I will not be doing that here, even if i can’t be popular or even respected here.  It’s been great to talk it out here, even though it’s apparent that there is as much of a slant for black and white thinking here as there is in every Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saint arena.  I can live with that as long as I can find one or two who don’t assume I’m rotten for thinking outside the box from time to time.  I may not be the most righteous person but I love God and I love His children even if they look and think differently from me.  I’m messy.  Nice to meet you all. 

Mustardseed

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bsjkki said:

If you are not dedicated enough for seminary I am unsure why you would want to later voluntarily put yourself under the Honor Code.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I have a nice plaque because I went four years with perfect attendance.

I couldn't find my seminary graduation certificate if anyone asked me for it.  

Just now, MustardSeed said:

I don’t care what people project about their rainbows and pups.  I enjoy the real-ness of a messy life... mine and others willing to tell the truth. 

I used to feel the need to tout my perfection.  I will not be doing that here, even if i can’t be popular or even respected here.  It’s been great to talk it out here, even though it’s apparent that there is as much of a slant for black and white thinking here as there is in every Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saint arena.  I can live with that as long as I can find one or two who don’t assume I’m rotten for thinking outside the box from time to time.  I may not be the most righteous person but I love God and I love His children even if they look and think differently from me.  I’m messy.  Nice to meet you all. 

Mustardseed

Be careful not to overcorrect and fall off the other side of the horse.

1 minute ago, Danzo said:

I couldn't find my seminary graduation certificate if anyone asked me for it.  

To be fair I have no idea where that plaque is. Probably in my parent’s attic.

6 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Be careful not to overcorrect and fall off the other side of the horse.

I guess that’s true for anyone willing to ride a horse. 

And I suppose I wonder what you’re projecting on me that would have you concerned that I’m in any more danger of that than anyone else including yourself.  No one here is perfect, even the folks who pretend to be. 

Edited by MustardSeed

11 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

What does BYU have to do with graduating from seminary?

2 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

Smac quoted BYU's site earlier with seminary attendance being one of the factors for confirmation of eligibility.

8 minutes ago, Danzo said:

Because seminary tends to improve the spiritual well-being of the individual?

Most of the worthwhile things I have done in life have been difficult to do, and sometimes seemingly futile when underway.  In hindsight, however, I am glad I did them. 

I am glad that, as a teen, I was involved in scouting, and in band, and marching band, and orchestra, and debate, even though all of these activities took a lot of time and included wasted time. 

I am glad that I later served in the military, even though much of my time spent in the military was spent doing mundane things. 

I am glad I then served a mission, even though the bulk of my time was spent walking from door to door. 

I am glad I am married and am the father of six children, even though it means I have virtually no time to call my own, and even though there are a lot of pressures and obligations that go with it.

Yesterday I spent the few hours of "free time" I had on my roof, applying some patches on apparent leaks.  An hour or so ago my wife called and said she is sick, so dinner is my responsibility.  And I need to go shopping, too.  And pick up my daughter at her job.  And I have several hours of work to do.  And some Church stuff, too.

Many of the greatest things in life have elements of mundanity, repetition, stress, and so on.  They also have moments of joy, and illumination, and gratitude.  

Was seminary a waste of time for me?  On balance, I don't think so.  I can't specifically detect the benefits, but I think they happened, and that they outnumbered the drawbacks to attending.

Thanks,

-Smac

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

Graduating from seminary is considered as a factor in admissions (though it is not, I think, a dispositive one).

Thanks,

-Smac

1 minute ago, smac97 said:

Because seminary tends to improve the spiritual well-being of the individual?

Most of the worthwhile things I have done in life have been difficult to do, and sometimes seemingly futile when underway.  In hindsight, however, I am glad I did them. 

I am glad that, as a teen, I was involved in scouting, and in band, and marching band, and orchestra, and debate, even though all of these activities took a lot of time and included wasted time. 

I am glad that I later served in the military, even though much of my time spent in the military was spent doing mundane things. 

I am glad I then served a mission, even though the bulk of my time was spent walking from door to door. 

I am glad I am married and am the father of six children, even though it means I have virtually no time to call my own, and even though there are a lot of pressures and obligations that go with it.

Yesterday I spent the few hours of "free time" I had on my roof, applying some patches on apparent leaks.  An hour or so ago my wife called and said she is sick, so dinner is my responsibility.  And I need to go shopping, too.  And pick up my daughter at her job.  And I have several hours of work to do.  And some Church stuff, too.

Many of the greatest things in life have elements of mundanity, repetition, stress, and so on.  They also have moments of joy, and illumination, and gratitude.  

Was seminary a waste of time for me?  On balance, I don't think so.  I can't specifically detect the benefits, but I think they happened, and that they outnumbered the drawbacks to attending.

Thanks,

-Smac

No one would doubt it. 

8 minutes ago, Calm said:

Smac quoted BYU's site earlier with seminary attendance being one of the factors for confirmation of eligibility.

That's what I get for only reading the last couple posts!

With the current Come Follow Me curriculum, seminary is the only chance the youth have to go systematically through the scriptures in a church setting.  For that reason alone I wanted my kids to attend.  Depending on how the new curriculum ends up working, I may being willing to compromise with my youngest, if needed.

25 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

I guess that’s true for anyone willing to ride a horse. 

And I suppose I wonder what you’re projecting on me that would have you concerned that I’m in any more danger of that than anyone else including yourself.  No one here is perfect, even the folks who pretend to be. 

I am not projecting. I am reading your posts of frustration at the “black and white” thinking you accuse many here of having. Was that projection?

Saying no one is perfect is true. But often what people mean by it is “You are wrong!”

And pretending to be perfect is not a purely bad thing. It depends on how it is done. I Covenanted to take upon myself the name of Christ, an act of unspeakable arrogance, but God commanded me to do it. I am not like Christ. I am not willing or even able to sacrifice all to the Father. That being said I can try to figure out what that means and pretend I do fit that profile so that my submission allows the grace of Christ to bring me closer to that ideal. There is, of course, the negative sense in which people imagine they are farther in that journey then they really are but I think that condition is overdiagnosed.

55 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

He’s like me, obedient. And tired. 

Nothing wrong with doing something because you want to be obedient. Christ completed the Atonement because He wanted to be obedient to the will of His Father. 

Your son sounds like a good kid.