Seriously No Politics ×

Marriage covenants

7 minutes ago, changed said:

??

22 Thou shalt love thy wife with all thy heart, and shalt cleave unto her and none else.

So - the second wife is not someone to "cleave" to?  

no one else = not cleaving to anyone else = only one person that you cleave to... it is pretty clear...

No, scripture say to cleave only to a wife.  The prohibition is against those who are not wives.  Not a limit on number of wives.  The original law of chastity matched this perfectly.

26 minutes ago, changed said:

The Mormon version of the "law of chastity" is not really a law of chastity - 132 is polygamy - being sealed to more than one person, that is not chastity.

It is if you are married/sealed to them.

1 hour ago, changed said:

The Mormon version of the "law of chastity" is not really a law of chastity - 132 is polygamy - being sealed to more than one person, that is not chastity.

The Law of Chastity wording has been changed and was different back when polygamy was being practiced by church members (the wording in the temple).

4 hours ago, changed said:

It is common sense, and yet, there is no vow of loyalty in the LDs covenants.  ... There is room for polygammy.  (I see JS and BY as being an adulterous husbands).  

Even today, LDS marraige is not a marriage that involves loyalty...

Thinking about this, the LDS version of a marriage "covenant" is not a covenant at all - no vow of loyalty = no vow at all in my opinion.  

infidelity, affairs, cheating, adultery - that is not a marriage.  

You’re not just trolling here, are you?

5 hours ago, changed said:

The typical marriage covenant goes something like:

Would you please face each other and join hands.
(Groom) ___________________do you take _________________to be your wife?
Do you promise to love, honor, cherish and protect her, forsaking all others
and holding only to her forevermore?
(“I do”)
(Bride) ________________do you take_________________ to be your Husband?
Do you promise to love, honor, cherish and protect him, forsaking all others
and holding only to him forevermore?

http://www.vowsoftheheart.com/ceramonies/traditional-christian-wedding-ceremony/

I am curious about the "forsaking all others" and vows of loyalty - is there anything in the LDS marriage vow against adultery?  anything about loyalty?  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The "new and everlasting covenant" is a covenant of polygamy - Abraham is even mentioned in the marriage covenants....(law of Sarah)  the LDS marriage covenant is not one of loyalty and fidelity, it is one involving polygamy :(  

1886 Revelation

Given to President John Taylor September 27, 1886

My son John, you have asked me concerning the New and Everlasting Covenant how far it is binding upon my people.

Thus saith the Lord: All commandments that I give must be obeyed by those calling themselves by my name unless they are revoked by me or by my authority, and how can I revoke an everlasting covenant, for I the Lord am everlasting and my everlasting covenants cannot be abrogated nor done away with, but they stand forever.

Have I not given my word in great plainness on this subject? Yet have not great numbers of my people been negligent in the observance of my law and the keeping of my commandments, and yet have I borne with them these many years; and this because of their weakness—because of the perilous times, and furthermore, it is more pleasing to me that men should use their free agency in regard to these matters. Nevertheless, I the Lord do not change and my word and my covenants and my law do not, and as I have heretofore said by my servant Joseph: All those who would enter into my glory must and shall obey my law. And have I not commanded men that if they were Abraham’s seed and would enter into my glory, they must do the works of Abraham. I have not revoked this law, nor will I, for it is everlasting, and those who will enter into my glory must obey the conditions thereof; even so, Amen

They forgot For Better or For Worse and in sickness and in health.

10 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

They forgot For Better or For Worse and in sickness and in health.

For richer for poorer.

In this day fewer and fewer want to commit to anything that isn't always perfectly happy.  Not happy, get a divorce.  Too easy.

5 hours ago, changed said:

Yes - President Nelson is currently sealed to more than one wife - polygamy has not gone away.

Do you believe that widows and widowers should not be allowed to remarry in the LDS faith as they are in others because of our belief in eternal marriage rather than "until death do us part"?

This would seem to be the fundamental issue you have with the way marriages are currently treated in the Church.

Edited by Calm
10 hours ago, changed said:

I am curious about the "forsaking all others" and vows of loyalty - is there anything in the LDS marriage vow against adultery?  anything about loyalty?  

Yes, this covenant is made as part of the endowment well before the sealing ordinance.

7 hours ago, Calm said:

Do you believe that widows and widowers should not be allowed to remarry in the LDS faith as they are in others because of our belief in eternal marriage rather than "until death do us part"?

This would seem to be the fundamental issue you have with the way marriages are currently treated in the Church.

Do you believe it is fair that men marry more than one wife, while women are not allowed to eternally marry more than one husband?

7 hours ago, Calm said:

I have told my husband if I were to die, I definitely want him to remarry.  

Women live longer than men on average... did your husband tell you the same thing?  Encourage you to get sealed in the temple - for all eternity - to another spouse after he dies?  

12 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

I'm a little confused here... your husband has covenant with GOD to only have sexual relations with his wife (which is you).  I'm sure if you ask him, he'll even remind you of that and (re)promise you today, and give you yet another kiss.  He's also promised and made a legal commitment.  He's 100% yours.

And yet.... you doubt him and are not happy?  You want him to promise to more than you + civil authority + God Himself?  

He is not 100% mine - I have had to deal with adultery...  and also had to deal with abuse from another high priest... 

not too impressed with "priests" in the Mormon church... 

9 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Trolling? Changed has been here long enough to know she's not a drive by. Maybe you think I troll though and I'm here constantly for years.

Thanks Tacenda... yes, anyone who is curious can go back and read my first thousand or so posts - back when I was a temple-going TBM... all my temple-going, scripture reading, calling/volunteer work / doing all the right things, and this was repaid with ??? what blessings again???   abused children?? unfaithful "high priest" husband???   I guess no one really understands polygamy - understands what those marriage covenants really are -  until they have personally experienced "sharing" their spouse...  betrayal when you are supposed to be blessed?  I am supposed to want to be eternally trapped in some polygamous marriage??? Nothing but betrayal going on over here.

If the doctrine of eternal marriage contributed to infidelity (as opposed to being used as an excuse much like "my spouse doesn't love me" might be used) I would expect to see the rates of adultery and therefore divorce to be higher for Saints than the general population.  Divorce isn't and as far as I can tell adultery isn't either, though it is not unknown or  even uncommon unfortunately.

Marriages that started out as adulterous relationships have to jump through major hoops to be sealed from what I have read and heard (think they have to be married ten years before even applying) and a spouse would need to be divorced prior to even thinking of that happening, so there would be no expectation of someone being forced into a polygamous marriage with a  second wife from an adulterous relationship since since the marriage covenant of the first marriage was broken by the divorce officially and probably by the adultery spiritually though that last is up to God to judge if the  couple desires to stay together.

Plus a loving God would never force anyone to do anything, so I am not seeing the logic of being eternally trapped.  Even if someone decides to stay married in mortality for the children or other reasons, if they do not desire to be married eternally to their sealed spouse, why would God think of forcing them?  I know a few women who did not wish to be eternally married to their spouses at the time they told me, none of them expected to be forced to do so. They believed God was watching out for them and would ensure they were happy in the next life and that they would receive all the blessings they wanted.

I know there are some sick men out there who think if a sealing isn't canceled, they somehow have power over their exwives, that their exwives belong to them (my exbrother-in-law was one of them according to my sister),but that kind of attitude towards others (people as property to be controlled)  has them heading for the telestial even if the Church isn't aware of their behaviour and they look 'good' on paper, so to speak.  There are probably some women who think that way about ex husbands as well, that as long as they don't ask for their sealing to be canceled, their exhusbands will be forced to be married to them in the eternities.  How can heaven be heaven if individuals don't care what their spouses want, how can they be one with each other and one with God?  That would be hell and therefore exaltation isn't awaiting anyone who thinks that way.

Using emotional blackmail such as telling one's spouse they have to forgive one because one has repented and the sin will be on the unforgiving spouse instead is not true repentance, Imo.  One can also forgive, but not desire to reinstate the eternal marriage covenant that the other has broken, imo, just as one is not forced to marry someone just because they say they want to marry.  I know of no doctrine that requires this.

Edited by Calm

Divorce rates...

https://www.thoughtco.com/divorce-rates-for-atheists-248494

21% of atheists have been divorced
21% of Catholics and Lutherans have been divorced
24% of Mormons have been divorced
25% of mainstream Protestants have been divorced
29% of Baptists have been divorced
24% of nondenominational, independent Protestants have been divorced

Looks like atheists have the lowest divorce rates....