Seriously No Politics ×

"The Gospel IS NOT fully Restored" comment by President Nelson

I am not sure if I saw this here via a "link", or on the many Internet sites I follow on Facebook. But President Nelson made a comment along these lines, "If you think things are changing quickly, hang on. If you think the Gospel is fully restored, what until next year". Unable to find the clip again, I was hoping to enlist the vast talent on this website, to put the entire remarks in context. 

Also two questions,

1. Who disagrees, and why?

2. Who agrees, and what do you suppose is left undone? 

I saw the quote “If you think the Church has been fully restored, you're just seeing the beginning. There is much more to come. … Wait till next year. And then the next year. Eat your vitamin pills. Get your rest. It's going to be exciting.”  From https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/latter-day-saint-prophet-wife-apostle-share-insights-global-ministry

If he would have said the "gospel" I would have had a big question about the Book of Mormon containing, as does not the Bible apparently, the fullness of the gospel.

19 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Someone on the exmormonreddit said they know inside information that one day members will minister door to door similar to the Jehovah's Witnesses. Of course who knows how accurate.

Every member a missionary I guess.

24 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Someone on the exmormonreddit said they know inside information that one day members will minister door to door similar to the Jehovah's Witnesses. Of course who knows how accurate.

I think all these whistle blowers with inside info are just....whistling in the dark .:ph34r:

23 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Please no!

That would really surprise me since tracting door to door has really been de-emphasized with full-time missionaries.  

56 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Hope not, then I will completely useless. My back, and my diabetic nerve pain in my feet are the reason I rejoice at the new two hour block. Not to mention the full time missionary program is best training on earth for our future leaders. 

1 hour ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

I am not sure if I saw this here via a "link", or on the many Internet sites I follow on Facebook. But President Nelson made a comment along these lines, "If you think things are changing quickly, hang on. If you think the Gospel is fully restored, what until next year". Unable to find the clip again, I was hoping to enlist the vast talent on this website, to put the entire remarks in context. 

Also two questions,

Did he state that "the gospel" was not fully restored or that "the Church" was not fully restored?  (I do think there was another thread on this, but I haven't been on here much lately....)

36 minutes ago, ALarson said:

Did he state that "the gospel" was not fully restored or that "the Church" was not fully restored?  (I do think there was another thread on this, but I haven't been on here much lately....)

Did not see another, so not sure if it was "Gospel", or "Church", and they are so closely linked, is there really that much difference?

3 hours ago, Mansquatch said:

If he would have said the "gospel" I would have had a big question about the Book of Mormon containing, as does not the Bible apparently, the fullness of the gospel.

In what way do you believe the Bible and Book of Mormon contains the fulness of the Gospel?

Thanks,
Jim

5 hours ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Also two questions,

I agree. And if I knew a prophet would be redundant.

That great and important things are yet to be revealed is explicitly declared in the Articles of Faith.

5 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Doubt it but that would be one way of shaking the dead wood out of the church if you go by who is willing to do that.

41 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I agree. And if I knew a prophet would be redundant.

That great and important things are yet to be revealed is explicitly declared in the Articles of Faith.

I agree, "many wonderful and  many important, may be coming", (hope I quoted it correctly). I know that one day, more of the Book of Mormon and other things should be revealed plans, and  certainly additions to "canonized scripture", and certain within the "D&C and the PoGP"". However the Priesthood originations which may change from what they are now, have been changed before. Then as before,, and  the Melchizedek, it  being the higher Priesthood, just because of callings and duties innumerate. The Higher Priesthood, is for Spiritual Maturity for the sake of callings of those new to it,  not found severing in the lesser Priesthood. Recent changes will only allow "Train and rs) Teaching", members of the same gender, or requires married spouses only. If what is going on in the classroom, is an indicator, you would feel force, if not force itself  to only have in Bishopric's  to (of course) all woman in women called as bishoprics, wife and husband, become counselors, or at least am make married to one of the Bishopric as of a Clark. Anyway, I'll be ready when and if they day comes. 

12 hours ago, theplains said:

In what way do you believe the Bible and Book of Mormon contains the fulness of the Gospel?

Thanks,
Jim

There are numbert of NT versions. some churches have more books, others less than our own, some conflict, (in one way or another). Many were read and the powers that be, The Catholic Church and others who do or don't approve of the KJV. Hugh Nibley, once said there are 8,000 NT versions, but none stood a chance in the Christian Church of the early days, or in many mainstream Church's that use the ASB, or the NIV. We use the KJV exclusively, some say it is not the best, I however was raised on it, and love the poetry of it's style. 

Edited by Bill "Papa" Lee

I have been teaching for many years and our current principal is the 5th at the school since I was hired. It's been interesting to see the transition from one principal to another. Sometimes the new principal observes and then makes adjustments. Other times the transition brings new programs and changes no matter what. I wonder if President Nelson is changing things just to change them.

10 minutes ago, Thinking said:

I wonder if President Nelson is changing things just to change them.

I somehow think that more thought goes into these changes than that.  Change is not a virtue in and of itself - it can either be helpful or hurtful.  

Maybe the restoration is not complete, but we can't expect major changes in doctrine or theology.  Pres. Oaks in his April 2014 talk says the scope is narrow for what changes are allowed.  He implies in a parallel manner to how prophets supported the black african eternal family ban that current prophets do not hold all the keys necessary to change who holds offices in the priesthood.      

"The First Presidency and the Council of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve, who preside over the Church, are empowered to make many decisions affecting Church policies and procedures—matters such as the location of Church buildings and the ages for missionary service. But even though these presiding authorities hold and exercise all of the keys delegated to men in this dispensation, they are not free to alter the divinely decreed pattern that only men will hold offices in the priesthood."

Edited by blueglass
14 minutes ago, blueglass said:

But even though these presiding authorities hold and exercise all of the keys delegated to men in this dispensation, they are not free to alter the divinely decreed pattern that only men will hold offices in the priesthood."

...unless, and until, a new pattern is divinely inspired.

He is not saying that big changes can't happen, he is just saying that they are not "free" to act independent of divine revelation in such matters.

In other words, he is speaking to those who think that grass-root political persuasion might cause the leaders to make changes.  He is saying, it is not up to them.  

1 hour ago, Thinking said:

I have been teaching for many years and our current principal is the 5th at the school since I was hired. It's been interesting to see the transition from one principal to another. Sometimes the new principal observes and then makes adjustments. Other times the transition brings new programs and changes no matter what. I wonder if President Nelson is changing things just to change them.

I was under the impression that the changes we are seeing are not things that were decided last month or so by President Nelson alone, but are things which have been in train for possibly years.  There were rumors about the 2 hour meeting schedule for some time, and this was because it was tried out by pilot stakes -- and the rumors of it came because others heard about these pilot programs.  I imagine that President Monson was involved in it to a certain extent (although his involvement might have been reduced due to health issues).  And Hamba or someone reported Elder Bednar talking about changes that would be seen over the coming years, without going into details.  

The world is changing, and I'm pretty sure the Lord is well aware of this and knows which directions the church needs to take.

On 11/5/2018 at 10:12 PM, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

There are numbert of NT versions. some churches have more books, others less than our own, some conflict, (in one way or another). Many were read and the powers that be, The Catholic Church and others who do or don't approve of the KJV. Hugh Nibley, once said there are 8,000 NT versions, but none stood a chance in the Christian Church of the early days, or in many mainstream Church's that use the ASB, or the NIV. We use the KJV exclusively, some say it is not the best, I however was raised on it, and love the poetry of it's style. 

I heard that at one time the KJV contained the books of the Apocrypha.

4 hours ago, Thinking said:

I do not think the comparison works. President Nelson have been the comparative equivalent of a senior vice-principal of the “school” for about half of his life. He is not a new guy wandering in from another location changing stuff when he has no idea how and why things work now.

19 hours ago, pogi said:

...unless, and until, a new pattern is divinely inspired.

He is not saying that big changes can't happen, he is just saying that they are not "free" to act independent of divine revelation in such matters.

In other words, he is speaking to those who think that grass-root political persuasion might cause the leaders to make changes.  He is saying, it is not up to them.  

The doctrine of the King Follet discourse was thrown under the bus by means of a footnote in an essay.  Footnote (35) in the becoming like God essay.   Due to the wind that day and uncertainty on the transcription technique, "the surviving sermon text is not canonized and should not be treated as a doctrinal standard in and of itself. "