Seriously No Politics ×

What? No authority needed to pass the sacrament?

17 hours ago, Navidad said:

Obviously there is one big thing on which we don't agree, the nature of the priesthood in the first sentence of your second paragraph and the first sentence of the third where I actually agree with the intent of your statement, but believe that all Christians hold the priesthood.

Even if I agreed with you about the priesthood belonging to all Christians, we would then be left with the impossible question, "what is a Christian?"  There is no universally agreed upon definition, nor is there a definition in any revelation that I am aware of, so the priesthood becomes just as ambiguous as the term "Christian".  So, the question remains, who has the authoritative seal of the priesthood and who does not?  Which ordinances are authorized, and which are not?  

I don't bring this up to argue, but these are just some questions that arise as I think about your definition of priesthood.

Edited by pogi
11 hours ago, Rain said:

I'm surprised you would equate passing the sacrament to serving food. Are you thinking of a deep meaning to serving food? It never would occur to me that the two would be on the same level so I figure it must be much deeper than I have thought.

Yes that was the point 

I have no idea what an LDS feminist will find offensive anymore. Thanks for helping me understand a little bit better.

Symbols are always in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by mfbukowski
7 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Yes that was the point 

I have no idea what an LDS feminist will find offensive anymore. Thanks for helping me understand a little bit better.

Symbols are always in the eye of the beholder.

Feasting has long and widely been associated with joyful religious and family customs and traditions. I should think if that were to change, the world would be the poorer for it. 

On 11/8/2018 at 4:46 PM, Navidad said:

The only big difference in our beliefs as far as I read is the concept of the priesthood, certainly not the concept of covenant. That is the big kahuna difference. That is why I believe that I, sitting in the pew on a Sunday morning as a priest after the order of Melchizedek so designated by Christ our high priest, can make, honor and renew a covenant the same way any Saint, priesthood holder or not, can.

How did you become a priest after the order of Melchizedek? What does that mean? How were you ordained and by whom?

Edited by Bernard Gui