halconero

Statement of Support for the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh

17 minutes ago, flameburns623 said:

To convert to Judaism is seen within Judaism as becoming Jewish, ethnically,  not just adopting a belief system.

Jews believe that a certain number of the Jewish souls who were present at Mount Sinai were born into non-Jewish bodies and find their way to Judaism brcause that is what they truly are. 

I think you both are in agreement. Being Jewish is being part an ethnicity. It just so happens to be the only ethnicity I know of which can be entered into via the door of religion.

11 hours ago, Raingirl said:

I’d be happy to share what I can. It might be more appropriate to send a PM?

Totally up to you. Whatever is most comfortable for you

3 hours ago, flameburns623 said:

To convert to Judaism is seen within Judaism as becoming Jewish, ethnically,  not just adopting a belief system.

Jews believe that a certain number of the Jewish souls who were present at Mount Sinai were born into non-Jewish bodies and find their way to Judaism brcause that is what they truly are. 

Yes, when you convert to  Judaism, halachally there is no difference between you and someone who is born  Jewish. You are both simply Jews. This still does not make Judaism a race. And certain groups insisting it does, does not change that.

Again, you can convert to a religion but you cannot convert to a race. Becoming a Jew does not magically change your race. If you’re Caucasian before you convert, you’re still Caucasian after you convert. You don’t suddenly become African-American, for example. I was Caucasian before I joined the Church, and I’m still Caucasian. I know a person who converted from Catholicism to Judaism, and then back to Christianity via The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Guess what? She remained African-American throughout!

Dictionary definition of ethnicity: The fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition. 

Nowhere is race mentioned.  You can have different races within the same culture or nationality.

I am always suspect of people who insist that Judaism is a race. Some of the reasons why should be obvious, but I am not going to discuss this further in this thread. Non-Jews who insist that Judaism is a race are rarely willing to change their thinking.

This thread should be about honoring those who were murdered - in their place of worship, some participating in a bris! -  simply because they were Jewish. That this still happens is mind boggling, while at the same time not at all surprising. I suspect the synagogues will be more crowded than ever this Shabbos, and that when the Kaddish is being said, every single congregant will have these 11 neshamahs specifically in mind.

May their memories be for a blessing  

• Like 1