Seriously No Politics ×

President Nelson in Bolivia

jkwilliams

Even after all these years, I still get emotional about the wonderful people of Bolivia. I know most of the people President Nelson mentioned, and I rejoice knowing how happy they and all the rest of the Bolivian Saints must have been to hear from President Nelson. Apparently, he was suffering from soroche (altitude sickness), so it must have been that much more strenuous to give that talk in La Paz. So, for anyone interested, here's the full video of his talk. I'm slightly disappointed that his translator was not Bolivian (obvious from his accent and a few other clues).

15 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

That and the fact that he also knows Chinese is a bit surprising.

I learned Cantonese on my mission. My senior year of undergraduate at BYU I took Spanish I just for the heck of it. Didn't go well. Partly because I was a lazy senior and partly because the two languages are so disparate. Fun fact, when learning a third language and one's mind is searching for a word it typically goes to the second language first (citation). Doesn't work that well for a Spanish-Cantonese combo. Being lazy didn't work very well either. :)

On 10/26/2018 at 3:30 PM, Nofear said:

I learned Cantonese on my mission. My senior year of undergraduate at BYU I took Spanish I just for the heck of it. Didn't go well. Partly because I was a lazy senior and partly because the two languages are so disparate. Fun fact, when learning a third language and one's mind is searching for a word it typically goes to the second language first (citation). Doesn't work that well for a Spanish-Cantonese combo. Being lazy didn't work very well either. :)

That's interesting. I learned Spanish on my mission and now live in Germany. Learning Spanish was a piece of cake. Learning German has been much harder, especially because of what you mention here. When we first moved here, whenever I would search for a German word, Spanish words would come to mind. Spanish and German don't really mix all that well either.

The only reason I eventually managed it was out of necessity (not wanting to get fired). 😄

On 10/26/2018 at 2:30 PM, Nofear said:

I've had that happen to me, too.  I once tried to learn a little Russian, and suddenly realized that I was speaking some words with a German accent (my mission language).  Very odd.  I've lately attempted to learn some Spanish, and have managed so far to keep it away from German.

• 2 weeks later...