Seriously No Politics ×

April 2019 Conference

3 minutes ago, rockpond said:

It's true.  The hype for this conference came from the Brethren themselves.

In the end, I'm curious what new revelation we might identify from this conference?  (Not that new revelation is required, but it certainly had been alluded to.)

The block change and home study plan seems to have been in the works for a long time, likely started before Pres. Monson's passing.  And the renewed emphasis on the name of the Church was announced before conference.  And, it was something that Pres. Nelson had taught decades earlier.

And the best is yet to come........

9 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

And where did the Brethren publish or otherwise disseminate these comments? I'm not familiar with them.

I think it was Duncan who quoted several of the leaders and posted about this on the other thread (maybe the predictions for conference one?).....I'm just going from memory here, but there were several quotes.

ETA:

Here's a link to some of what was posted:

https://www.mormonlight.org/2018/09/17/if-you-thought-last-general-conference-was-exciting-buckle-up/

Edited by ALarson
21 minutes ago, ALarson said:

So we have hearsay accounts (probably quite accurate, in my opinion) of Church leaders noting that administrative changes in April were the beginning of much more to come. Elder Bednar told us nearly four years ago that massive structural and administrative changes were coming, and I've reported that here on and off ever since.

I'm not sure any of that quite = 'The hype for this conference came from the Brethren themselves'. Anything else?

2 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

So we have hearsay accounts (probably quite accurate, in my opinion) of Church leaders noting that administrative changes in April were the beginning of much more to come. Elder Bednar told us nearly four years ago that massive structural and administrative changes were coming, and I've reported that here on and off ever since.

I'm not sure any of that quite = 'The hype for this conference came from the Brethren themselves'. Anything else?

Yes it’s hearsay but we’ve got five accounts of it from that reporter alone.  If true, you’ve got the prophet and  two or more apostles saying that the changes to come are like a snowstorm (compared to the snowflake of last conference).  That creates hype, especially with all of the added talk lately about President Nelson getting woken up with dreams or thoughts that he needs to write down.  

Just now, rockpond said:

If true, you’ve got the prophet and  two or more apostles saying that the changes to come are like a snowstorm (compared to the snowflake of last conference).  That creates hype ...

I don't see anything in those comments about hyping this (or any other) General Conference though. In February 2015, Elder Bednar warned us of monumental changes to come that would leave the Church almost unrecognisable. I literally don't know a single man in that meeting who thought he was hyping the April 2015 General Conference. Was he?

Moreover, the comments that were in the link above were all personal reports. Nothing on the homepage of lds.org, no all-Church emails. I guess I'm just not seeing what you reported seeing. :unknw:

3 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

My hype comes from an experience similar to that described in the second hymn of our hymn book. :) 

56 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I don't see anything in those comments about hyping this (or any other) General Conference though. In February 2015, Elder Bednar warned us of monumental changes to come that would leave the Church almost unrecognisable. I literally don't know a single man in that meeting who thought he was hyping the April 2015 General Conference. Was he?

Moreover, the comments that were in the link above were all personal reports. Nothing on the homepage of lds.org, no all-Church emails. I guess I'm just not seeing what you reported seeing. :unknw:

April 2018 we get a general conference with a couple fairly major changes. 

In the intervening months we have the prophet and apostles referring to April as a snowflake and upcoming Oct Gen Con as a snowstorm. 

Those comments spread like wildfire through Church membership... I lost count of how many people I heard it repeated from. 

Members became convinced that more big changes were coming.  So they began to flesh those supposed changes out with some rumors that were real (ward council leadership adjustments, 2 hour block), some that may be (or may have been) under consideration by church leadership, and some that are just wishful thinking.

That’s the hype that I observed and it originated with the Brethren.  

You can say that it isn’t hype but I’m confident that I’m in a majority opinion on this one (and I am RARELY in the majority opinion among church members).

On 10/15/2018 at 2:12 PM, mnn727 said:

So far President Nelson has made some major changes:

All but got rid of High Priests

Changed HT and VT programs to Ministering

Asked us to stop using the name "Mormon"

Changed from a 3 hour block to a 2 hour block

So, what are your predictions for what other changes will happen between now and the next Conference?

More service missions.

Small endowment houses or rooms in more remote areas in the world.

Stricter policies on usage of meeting houses.  

More information on the new youth programs.  

38 minutes ago, rockpond said:

In the intervening months we have the prophet and apostles referring to April as a snowflake and upcoming Oct Gen Con as a snowstorm. 

For the sake of accuracy, I just went back and read what was posted on the link that ALarson provided. Not one leak/report/rumour even mentions the upcoming General Conference. The person who collected them kind of suggested something like that. I think that blaming the Brethren for hyping General Conference is demonstrably off-mark. It seems, instead, that members took a couple of (probably accurate) comments about many more changes to come down the road and spun some impending GenConf hype from them. I think it's important that we not create a false narrative here.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
20 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

For the sake of accuracy, I just went back and read what was posted on the link that ALarson provided. Not one leak/report/rumour even mentions the upcoming General Conference. The person who collected them kind of suggested something like that. I think that blaming the Brethren for hyping General Conference is demonstrably off-mark. It seems, instead, that members took a couple of (probably accurate) comments about many more changes to come down the road and spun some impending GenConf hype from them. I think it's important that we not create a false narrative here.

Whatever you want to believe.

From the article, and referring to the changes in April's Gen Con:  "In speaking of those changes, President Nelson replied that it was as a snowflake in a snowstorm, compared to the changes that are to come."

Changes that are to come.  When would changes most likely be announced?  General Conference.

If you are seeking accuracy, we'd need to look at the analogy compared to what actually happened and consider if it was "hype".  Some might consider the new home-centered, church-supported model to be a snowstorm.  It's subjective.

For me it was definitely hype that originated with the Brethren's comments.

39 minutes ago, rockpond said:

Changes that are to come.  When would changes most likely be announced?  General Conference.

And specifically the October 2018 General Conference and nowhere else?

Seriously? How many General Conferences are still yet to come?

Whatever you want to believe ... For me it was definitely hype that originated with the Brethren's comments.

Despite your repeated fretting over what you see as false narratives that have sometimes developed in the Church, you sure are good at creating and then defiantly defending one.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
1 hour ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Despite your repeated fretting over what you see as false narratives that have sometimes developed in the Church, you sure are good at creating and then defiantly defending one.

I heard a lot of talk and excitement from members and leaders about the anticipated changes that may be announced at this past conference (there were even threads on here about it!).  Do a search and you’ll find articles like this one:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.heraldextra.com/news/local/faith/lds-church-members-prepare-for-latest-general-conference/article_16a24b65-2627-58f4-b2a9-4f40588309ae.amp.html

Here’s this from the link:

”In reference to comparing the changes in April to what may come in October, at least a handful of general authorities, including President Dallin H. Oaks, Elders Jeffrey R. Holland and David Bednar, have compared the April conference to a “snowflake in a snowstorm.” In Holland’s case, he used the word blizzard rather than snowstorm.

That also plays off other comments like ‘big things on the horizon’ or ‘the coming rush of revelation’ that were used in speeches from California to Washington. Church leaders using those phrases seemingly appear excited and anxious to use them.”

I think it’s odd you’re disputing this and making such a big deal about it.  There were changes announced and members are excited about them!

Edited by JulieM
31 minutes ago, JulieM said:

I think it’s odd you’re disputing this ...

I'm not disputing what Church leaders said (or, more accurately, what they were reported to have said) OR what excited members then said about what they thought that might mean. But yes, I'm disputing demonstrably false statements like the following:

2 hours ago, rockpond said:

9 hours ago, rockpond said:

It's true.  The hype for this conference came from the Brethren themselves ... Not that new revelation is required, but it certainly had been alluded to.

9 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

With respect, I think church leaders are fanning the flames of that phenomena [sic] with their revelation snowstorm rhetoric.

Not one of these statements accurately or faithfully reports what either Pres Nelson or Elder Bednar was reputed to have said by those who actually claim to have heard them speak.

... and making such a big deal about it.

I'm making a big deal about it because I'm a professionally trained historian. When I see a false narrative being promulgated, my natural response is to correct it. That's precisely how we stop things like false narratives needing to be corrected later after a whole bunch of people think they know the truth of what happened. If people who in other contexts worry about the promulgation of false narratives don't like it when their pet ones get corrected, this is not my fault.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
3 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I'm not disputing what Church leaders said (or, more accurately, what they were reported to have said) OR what excited members then said about what they thought that might mean. But yes, I'm disputing demonstrably false statements like the following:

Not one of these statements accurately or faithfully reports what either Pres Nelson or Elder Bednar was reputed to have said by those who actually claim to have heard them speak.

I'm making a big deal about it because I'm a professionally trained historian. When I see a false narrative being promulgated, my natural response is to correct it. That's precisely how we stop things like false narratives needing to be corrected later after a whole bunch of people think they know the truth of what happened. If people who in other contexts worry about the promulgation of false narratives don't like it when their pet ones get corrected, this is not my fault.

This is silly.  Do you believe these quotes are faked or that the members are all lying who heard the leaders speak about the upcoming changes to come at the next GC?  

Why would members lie?  Why would there be articles written about it if the leaders didn’t say those things?

Why does it bother you if the leaders did excitedly talk about upcoming changes when they spoke to members about October conference?  The members loved this and embraced the changes.  It’s a positive thing, in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, JulieM said:

This is silly.  Do you believe these quotes are faked or that the members are all lying who heard the leaders speak about the upcoming changes to come at the next GC?  

Well, I agree with your first statement. Did you actually read the blog post from ALarson above? The people who reported what they heard Pres Nelson and Elder Bednar say did not report what everyone is now saying they said. That's my entire point.

Why does it bother you if the leaders did excitedly talk about upcoming changes when they spoke to members about October conference?

It doesn't bother me. It only bothers me if Church leaders said one thing about upcoming changes and then nearly everyone claims they said something quite different. That's what we're dealing with here.

ETA: The article you linked to earlier specifically talks about the 'buzz' being a social media phenomenon created by some members speculating on what they saw as 'hints' in what the Brethren were saying: 'All in all, this general conference could be just as normal as any other, though social media would have one believe otherwise'. At least this was accurate reporting!

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
12 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Well, I agree with your first statement. Did you actually read the blog post from ALarson above? The people who reported what they heard Pres Nelson and Elder Bednar say did not report what everyone is now saying they said.

Did you read the other article?

“In reference to comparing the changes in April to what may come in October, at least a handful of general authorities, including President Dallin H. Oaks, Elders Jeffrey R. Holland and David Bednar, have compared the April conference to a “snowflake in a snowstorm.” In Holland’s case, he used the word blizzard rather than snowstorm.

That also plays off other comments like “big things on the horizon” or “the coming rush of revelation” that were used in speeches from California to Washington. Church leaders using those phrases seemingly appear excited and anxious to use them.”

Why are you trying to claim this didn’t happen?  I’m not sure why this is such a negative thing in your mind.  Do you believe the article is false or all the reports came from members who are lying about what they heard?

I’m not sure why you’re claiming this. 

What proof do you have that these are lies or never happened?

I’m turning in now, but please post anything you have that shows these are lies or are false quotes if that’s what you believe!

Edited by JulieM
4 hours ago, JulieM said:

Why are you trying to claim this didn’t happen?  I’m not sure why this is such a negative thing in your mind.  Do you believe the article is false or all the reports came from members who are lying about what they heard?

I’m not sure why you’re claiming this. 

What proof do you have that these are lies or never happened?

:fool: 🚩 (That's me waving my white flag* of surrender in case you're wondering. I sincerely don't know how to communicate with you in a way that doesn't result in your completely misreading nearly everything I write, and I apologise for that.)

-----

* It was actually white when I selected it. Don't know how it turned red.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
8 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Nope... I never said that. 

8 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

You may have noted that on page 1 or 2 of this thread I expressed my desire that next conference we wouldn’t have any changes so that we, as members, don’t start expecting them every time. 

On 10/15/2018 at 4:12 PM, mnn727 said:

So far President Nelson has made some major changes:

All but got rid of High Priests

Changed HT and VT programs to Ministering

Asked us to stop using the name "Mormon"

Changed from a 3 hour block to a 2 hour block

So, what are your predictions for what other changes will happen between now and the next Conference?

Posters coming back to the forum after a 10-day social media fast

8 hours ago, JulieM said:

I heard a lot of talk and excitement from members and leaders about the anticipated changes that may be announced at this past conference (there were even threads on here about it!).  Do a search and you’ll find articles like this one:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.heraldextra.com/news/local/faith/lds-church-members-prepare-for-latest-general-conference/article_16a24b65-2627-58f4-b2a9-4f40588309ae.amp.html

Here’s this from the link:

”In reference to comparing the changes in April to what may come in October, at least a handful of general authorities, including President Dallin H. Oaks, Elders Jeffrey R. Holland and David Bednar, have compared the April conference to a “snowflake in a snowstorm.” In Holland’s case, he used the word blizzard rather than snowstorm.

That also plays off other comments like ‘big things on the horizon’ or ‘the coming rush of revelation’ that were used in speeches from California to Washington. Church leaders using those phrases seemingly appear excited and anxious to use them.”

I think it’s odd you’re disputing this and making such a big deal about it.  There were changes announced and members are excited about them!

But did they say it was coming this Conference.

i know we all assumed that, and we did have some major changes, but did anyone specify this conference as the time we would be receiving these revelations?