Seriously No Politics ×

April 2019 Conference

So far President Nelson has made some major changes:

All but got rid of High Priests

Changed HT and VT programs to Ministering

Asked us to stop using the name "Mormon"

Changed from a 3 hour block to a 2 hour block

So, what are your predictions for what other changes will happen between now and the next Conference?

It's a little early... the only change I am still anticipating is the demise of the annual statistical report.

Pres. Nelson will probably keep announcing temples.  But, I would be nice as well if he stood up and said something to the effect of:  "We're not gonna announce any new temples until we get caught up on the 31 temples still awaiting a groundbreaking."

24 minutes ago, mnn727 said:

So, what are your predictions for what other changes will happen between now and the next Conference?

Announcing Adam-ondi-Ahman

calling missionaries home

sealed plates revealed and translated

independence temple built

Far west temple built

a replacement program for scouting 

4 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

a replacement program for scouting 

Praying that we'll get that but with the most recent "official communication" reminding YM leaders to continue with Scouting through 2019, I'm thinking that we may not get any info on the replacement program until later next year.

well, in April Conference they usually announce new General Authorities, so I expect that. There was one guy who was an Area 70 who just got released this past conference. He used to come around here and talk about how wealthy he is and why don't we live where he lives and how his Grandfather was in the First Presidency blah blah blah, I hope he isn't called as a new General Authority. I think he's like mid to late 60's so I kind of doubt it

17 minutes ago, rongo said:

I'm a little concerned with what my dad calls the "Twitter Mormons' " hysteria about expecting each Conference to have bigger and more surprising changes, outdoing the last Conference each time. Not only is this unrealistic, but I think that this particular group ("Twitter Mormons") tends to let their let-downs and disappointments when their hopes and expectations aren't realized turn into criticism or unrest. 

Granted, it is exciting and refreshing to have sweeping changes in these first two under President Nelson. I just don't want to see people getting frustrated or angry when we have "normal" no-changes Conferences. It would be too bad if too many people feel like it was a "dud" conference if there weren't sweeping changes. 

The OP is in a spirit of just for fun (and it is), but there is an underlying feeling under the surface that feeds into this phenomenon. I think it manifests itself in things like the whooping and hollering during temple announcements. Like this is a Twittergrambook thing with likes/dislikes and a need to preen for the audience. 

The hysteria around this conference was fueled by the leaders themselves (with the snowflake/snowstorm analogy).

But, I agree, we need a conference or two with no changes so that don't expect those kinds of announcements every time.

7 minutes ago, rockpond said:

The hysteria around this conference was fueled by the leaders themselves (with the snowflake/snowstorm analogy).

But, I agree, we need a conference or two with no changes so that don't expect those kinds of announcements every time.

I agree that leaders fed into it. But, that can turn around and bite you, especially with the younger generations.

Does anyone remember when they kept touting that "this will be a historic Conference," and nothing happened. Absolutely nothing. The "historic" thing was announcing that the Tabernacle would be renovated. Talk about crying wolf! Would have been around 2007, 2008, or so. 

Sorry --- I mean the Tabernacle at Temple Square . . . :lol:

Edited by rongo
Just now, rongo said:

I agree that leaders fed into it. But, that can turn around and bite you, especially with the younger generations.

Does anyone remember when they kept touting that "this will be a historic Conference," and nothing happened. The "historic" thing was announcing that the Tabernacle would be renovated. Talk about crying wolf! Would have been around 2007, 2008, or so. 

Sorry --- I mean the Tabernacle at Temple Square . . . :lol:

I remember that and as I recall then Elder Nelson was saying stuff about it being historic! 

Just now, Duncan said:

I remember that and as I recall then Elder Nelson was saying stuff about it being historic! 

It wasn't just then-Elder Nelson. There were many others. 

But, c'mon! The Tabernacle being renovated as the "historic" conference thing?

1 hour ago, mnn727 said:

Considering how President Nelson had spoken about the use of the name "Mormon" in prior conferences when he was just an apostle, its apparent that this issue was one he felt passionate about for a long time.  It might be interesting if someone who has some time, wanted to go back and read all his conference addresses, and looked for any particular patterns or key issues that he spoke about in the past. 

I'm not sure tbh. I expect we'll see a continual amount of "tweaking" of smaller programs via First Presidency letters in between Conferences. These tweaks are almost harder to predict than the larger stuff.

I hesitate to forecast what next conference will bring, so I'll refrain. Instead, I'll list what I wouldn't be surprised to see happen at conferences in the (near) future:

- Canonization of the Family Proclamation

- More explicit talks regarding the manner in which President Nelson receives revelation (we already know a lot of how he does, but it hasn't been brought up in a Conference setting)

- Further reform to the missionary program (what? No clue. I just suspect we'll see further reform, and that any major reforms will be announced at conference)

- Something that will be trying for the Saints. I'm not sure what it is, and maybe it's just me, but I sense the need to prepare my heart for whatever is coming. I don't think a 10 day social media fast is something to be tried over, but maybe that's just me.

24 minutes ago, pogi said:

And we can add to that - bye bye scouting. 

As much as I complained about it, I think many will miss it. Pres. Monson is probably rolling over in his grave. I kind of think the personality of the church is being sucked out. 

Edited by Tacenda

I expect the major changes to fizzle-out rather quickly.  I am sure that President Nelson has been praying/thinking about these changes for a very long-time.  When you know that you are next in line for the Presidency, and when President Monson's health begins declining...you can't help but prepare, ponder, and pray.  On top of that, he surely recognizes that he realistically only has a few short years of service left in him, and I think that is why this all feels like a blizzard of change right now  - he wants to implement all the changes he has been preparing for before he runs out of time.  I think we are ending the change phase of this presidency and are now entering the implementation/normalizing phase. 

Just now, pogi said:

The only things being sucked out is the stale mothball smell of the church.  I feel like a breath of revitalizing life is being breathed into the church now with a fresh personality.

Haha! I hate the smell of mothballs, and I could share a joke my husband tells about them, but won't! 

6 minutes ago, pogi said:

On top of that, he surely recognizes that he realistically only has a few short years of service left in him, and I think that is why this all feels like a blizzard of change right now  - he wants to implement all the changes he has been preparing for before he runs out of time.

It's possible that he feels this way but he also seems to be the healthiest 95 year old I have ever encountered.  Perhaps he'll be our first 100 year old Prophet.

* Some talk that focuses on what people are doing with the one hour not spent in church meetings on Sunday.

* Men will get a 13 day video game and sports fast.  This includes watching people play video games and sports.  Count your blessings brethren, it was nearly a 13 day media fast (all media, not just social).

* No talk of the new Youth Program, I agree with @rockpond it will come in October.

I honestly don't see any need for another big set of changes.  We need to let these settle in and see how they play out.

Just now, rockpond said:

It's possible that he feels this way but he also seems to be the healthiest 95 year old I have ever encountered.  Perhaps he'll be our first 100 year old Prophet.

It really wouldn't surprise me.  The guy is still skiing and hiking regularly...at 95!  He needs to be careful though, a broken hip can change things really quickly for the worse at that age.

29 minutes ago, halconero said:

I'm not sure tbh. I expect we'll see a continual amount of "tweaking" of smaller programs via First Presidency letters in between Conferences. These tweaks are almost harder to predict than the larger stuff.

I hesitate to forecast what next conference will bring, so I'll refrain. Instead, I'll list what I wouldn't be surprised to see happen at conferences in the (near) future:

- Canonization of the Family Proclamation

- More explicit talks regarding the manner in which President Nelson receives revelation (we already know a lot of how he does, but it hasn't been brought up in a Conference setting)

- Further reform to the missionary program (what? No clue. I just suspect we'll see further reform, and that any major reforms will be announced at conference)

- Something that will be trying for the Saints. I'm not sure what it is, and maybe it's just me, but I sense the need to prepare my heart for whatever is coming. I don't think a 10 day social media fast is something to be tried over, but maybe that's just me.

He hasn’t brought up how he gets revelation in Conference? That was his entire talk last april