Jump to content
provoman

Is it time to end Testimony meetings?

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I wanted to hire him as a clown for a birthday party.

so He Man is definately out?

 

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Duncan said:

so He Man is definately out?

 

Dolph Lundgren was unavailable.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

What would have happened in your  ward, do you think, had the intruder been a woman?

I think she would have been carried out. We're not sexist. And video of that would certainly serve the narrative of those just waiting to gnash their teeth after one of these incidents.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/15/2018 at 3:22 PM, provoman said:

Enemies of the Church are staging misuse and abuse of Testimony Meetings. Yesterday apparently in Orem, enemies of the Church staged a misuse and abuse of testimony meeting. A few details of the premeditated misuse and abuse

"video coming soon" and "the speaker today had a wireless mic on them to capture what was said after the mic was shut off"

I think testimony meetings are an opportunity to live out D&C 59.

Share this post


Link to post

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1998/03/i-have-a-question/i-have-a-question?lang=eng

Searched for when F&T Mtg began, and this came up. Glen M. Leonard was my former Stake President from years ago, so pretty cool that he wrote this article.  In the article it states that they held them on Thursday nights. I wonder if the church should give wards this option? I like it! Of course things have changed, we don't speak in tongues, which to me remains to a mystery. How speaking in tongues is no longer being done in the church, why is that? Is it because it was never real, but made up gibberish? A topic for another thread perhaps? But do like the thought for those that need community, of meeting together on another day besides Sunday. And discuss how to help those that need it, or do service out in the community together. Wouldn't that be cool! I know once a year the Stakes do this. And usually it's weeding or doing yard work at the church, in my previous wards. On occassion it stretched out further to nonLDS church entities. I wonder if this could happen.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1998/03/i-have-a-question/i-have-a-question?lang=eng

Searched for when F&T Mtg began, and this came up. Glen M. Leonard was my former Stake President from years ago, so pretty cool that he wrote this article.  In the article it states that they held them on Thursday nights. I wonder if the church should give wards this option? I like it! Of course things have changed, we don't speak in tongues, which to me remains to a mystery. How speaking in tongues is no longer being done in the church, why is that? Is it because it was never real, but made up gibberish? A topic for another thread perhaps? But do like the thought for those that need community, of meeting together on another day besides Sunday. And discuss how to help those that need it, or do service out in the community together. Wouldn't that be cool! I know once a year the Stakes do this. And usually it's weeding or doing yard work at the church, in my previous wards. On occassion it stretched out further to nonLDS church entities. I wonder if this could happen.

 

 

 

They should be something special...these are testimonies not  onlly of truth...but experiences of life.  I would love to attend these!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1998/03/i-have-a-question/i-have-a-question?lang=eng

Searched for when F&T Mtg began, and this came up. Glen M. Leonard was my former Stake President from years ago, so pretty cool that he wrote this article.  In the article it states that they held them on Thursday nights. I wonder if the church should give wards this option? I like it! Of course things have changed, we don't speak in tongues, which to me remains to a mystery. How speaking in tongues is no longer being done in the church, why is that? Is it because it was never real, but made up gibberish? A topic for another thread perhaps? But do like the thought for those that need community, of meeting together on another day besides Sunday. And discuss how to help those that need it, or do service out in the community together. Wouldn't that be cool! I know once a year the Stakes do this. And usually it's weeding or doing yard work at the church, in my previous wards. On occassion it stretched out further to nonLDS church entities. I wonder if this could happen.

 

 

 

I think we no longer see the Gift of Tongues because we stopped asking for it. Same with a lot of the gifts. It is probably not an accident that the main gift we see is healing. People want that all the time.

Share this post


Link to post

The last few years have been the first time in my 59 years in which we’ve had long stretches—up a minute or more—in F&T meetings in my ward when nobody got up to bear testimony. (And then someone gets up just to break the tension.) I haven’t got up in something like 15 years, and neither has my wife, who’s as TBM as they come. Personally, I don’t want to sound either lukewarm or implausibly enthusiastic—plus I have this thing about not casting my pearls before swine (even if those “swine” are objectively better people than I). It’s a far cry from my student wards at BYU, a very long time ago, when, if you didn’t get in the queue to bear your testimony right after the sacrament, you were shut out entirely.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think I have borne my testimony in five years or so. I teach a lot though so I get to do it at the end of every class and I get to do something like it in Bishopric and Ward Council meetings pretty regularly so I feel I have hit a good quota and leave F&T to other people.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I don't think I have borne my testimony in five years or so. I teach a lot though so I get to do it at the end of every class and I get to do something like it in Bishopric and Ward Council meetings pretty regularly so I feel I have hit a good quota and leave F&T to other people.

I frequently get up. Not monthly but enough. I keep thinking “no I’ll stay seated” but the Spirit doesn’t seem to like me doing they too often for some reason

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I don't think I have borne my testimony in five years or so. I teach a lot though so I get to do it at the end of every class and I get to do something like it in Bishopric and Ward Council meetings pretty regularly so I feel I have hit a good quota and leave F&T to other people.

see this Nehor???  You seem to think you and your testimony ma;y not be of value...though you do this through teaching...but you are the one that keeps yourself separate..perhaps there is something in your personality or how you see yourself that keeps you from thinking you can find a mate...I think you are a wonderful, fun person ...that you have a testimony of your church..yet remain silent in that realm (other than classes)...you are not seeing the value and love yourself.  Bite me if you want..be mad at me....but you are your own enemy  here.  Your take on the gospel should be expounded..what is holding you back???

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

see this Nehor???  You seem to think you and your testimony ma;y not be of value...though you do this through teaching...but you are the one that keeps yourself separate..perhaps there is something in your personality or how you see yourself that keeps you from thinking you can find a mate...I think you are a wonderful, fun person ...that you have a testimony of your church..yet remain silent in that realm (other than classes)...you are not seeing the value and love yourself.  Bite me if you want..be mad at me....but you are your own enemy  here.  Your take on the gospel should be expounded..what is holding you back???

I am not shy about the gospel. I actually like public speaking. Last time I spoke in sacrament meeting a woman I do not know very well came up to me in tears and hugged me and thanked me for what I said. In classes I teach I get compliments all the time. I do not think that is the problem. I have suspicions about what my problem is and I am working on it.

I appreciate the concern though.

Edited by The Nehor
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I am not shy about the gospel. I actually like public speaking. Last time I spoke in sacrament meeting a woman I do not know very well came up to me in tears and hugged me and thanked me for what I said. In classes I teach I get compliments all the time. I do not think that is the problem. I have suspicions about what my problem is and I am working on it.

I appreciate the concern though.

I am glad for your experiences....so happy you are not angry with me.

Share this post


Link to post

For me as a convert, testimony meeting was something special. At first in the weird way, like „Why are all those people repeating that they believe?“ But after a while with my faith developing I came to really like the meetings! Everyone could be touched by the Holy Spirit and proclaim word from that immediately plus people could give insights from their own life.

It is something special that should be kept and defended. Even if some people may misuse it to further their negative view on the church or whether some may be currently held back in speaking from the heart. I don't know the problems first hand, I have yet to encounter any in testimony meeting but please keep it going 🌞

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, The Refiner's Fire said:

For me as a convert, testimony meeting was something special. At first in the weird way, like „Why are all those people repeating that they believe?“ But after a while with my faith developing I came to really like the meetings! Everyone could be touched by the Holy Spirit and proclaim word from that immediately plus people could give insights from their own life.

It is something special that should be kept and defended. Even if some people may misuse it to further their negative view on the church or whether some may be currently held back in speaking from the heart. I don't know the problems first hand, I have yet to encounter any in testimony meeting but please keep it going 🌞

Refiner's fire, +1.  (That is, I would upvote your post if you had reached the required 25-post minimum to allow me to do so, so hurry up and accrue posts so I can upvote your content. :D)  And, welcome to the Board. :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Refiner's Fire:

This may be off-topic somewhat, but your handle reminds me of my favorite verse of my favorite hymn.  Economic realities of extensive lettering on headstones aside, I'd like it to be my epitaph: 

 

Quote

When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,

My grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply.

The flame will not hurt thee, I only design

Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/17/2018 at 6:21 PM, Duncan said:

so He Man is definately out?

He-Man's out, because Steve Martin didn't like the look on his face...

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

This past Sunday we went with some friends to the Methodist church because they had been asked to speak briefly about their story in coming to Jesus. There were 4 people who essentially gave this type of testimony and it was really great. It wasn't a laundry list of beliefs but rather the sharing of a journey and experiences that helped to shape their faith. I would love to see more testimony meetings like that but in my area we have had many years of coaching about what is and what is not an appropriate testimony. We've had lessons and even 5th sunday meetings presented by the stake president about how to bear a proper testimony. They never mentioned the Testimony Glove but the approach was basically the same. Testify of the 5 core things, keep it short and sweet, and sit down.

Don't get me wrong, I know some people can really just drone on and monopolize a meeting with stories etc, but a good focused testimony about WHY they believe, not simply the WHAT they believe is very moving.

I agree. Following the formula I feel takes something away from testimony meetings. When we were instructed on it, I spoke up speaking as "the devil's advocate" (I immediately realized what a poor choice of words that was) but to the effect that I like conversion stories, and I felt that confining testimony to a formula would tend to limit the power of testimony meetings. I don't think our ward was abusing testimony meetings. I tend to be a little unconventional in bearing my testimony. I like to make a point if possible, but anyway the seeming effort to channel testimony meetings into what I perceive as a rubber stamp model bothers me a bit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

This past Sunday we went with some friends to the Methodist church because they had been asked to speak briefly about their story in coming to Jesus. There were 4 people who essentially gave this type of testimony and it was really great. It wasn't a laundry list of beliefs but rather the sharing of a journey and experiences that helped to shape their faith. I would love to see more testimony meetings like that but in my area we have had many years of coaching about what is and what is not an appropriate testimony. We've had lessons and even 5th sunday meetings presented by the stake president about how to bear a proper testimony. They never mentioned the Testimony Glove but the approach was basically the same. Testify of the 5 core things, keep it short and sweet, and sit down.

Don't get me wrong, I know some people can really just drone on and monopolize a meeting with stories etc, but a good focused testimony about WHY they believe, not simply the WHAT they believe is very moving.

I agree with you.

I don't get that much out of the testimonies where someone goes up and says I believe that _________ is true, and then sits down.  What impacts me are the stories of why they believe those things are true, like you said.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, bluebell said:

I agree with you.

I don't get that much out of the testimonies where someone goes up and says I believe that _________ is true, and then sits down.  What impacts me are the stories of why they believe those things are true, like you said.

Having a little background to why someone believes something seems appropriate.  But oftentimes you find people getting up and giving what amounts to a 10 minute talk. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Anything's possible, of course, including the possibility that testimony meetings could be discontinued to prevent them from being hijacked by people with agendas, but I doubt such a move is in keeping with the overall trajectory of what's been happening in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter--day Saints: Promoting less reliance on centrally-produced manuals and headquarters direction and more reliance on teaching by the Spirit and looking to local direction.  Testimony meeting seems to be the quintessential example of the latter: One gets up as moved upon by the Spirit, speaks as moved by the Spirit, and so on.  I doubt meetings will be quite as free-wheeling as this scripture seems to suggest, but I am reminded of Moroni 6:9.

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/29/2018 at 2:52 AM, Kenngo1969 said:

Refiner's fire, +1.  (That is, I would upvote your post if you had reached the required 25-post minimum to allow me to do so, so hurry up and accrue posts so I can upvote your content. :D)  And, welcome to the Board. :) 

Thanks a lot 🌞 I will try my best ☺️

On 11/29/2018 at 12:59 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

Refiner's Fire:

This may be off-topic somewhat, but your handle reminds me of my favorite verse of my favorite hymn.  Economic realities of extensive lettering on headstones aside, I'd like it to be my epitaph: 

 

 

 

Unfortunately, I am not really that familiar with the Englis hymns, what's its name ☺️

Share this post


Link to post

My favorite "meeting" in our ward is our once monthly meeting of the "empty-nesters" group. I have no idea whether this is something that happens regularly in other wards or not. It is a gathering on a Monday evening of around ten to fifteen couples, most of whom are the leaders in the ward in one way or another. We go to a home, have a pot-luck type dinner and sit around and share. I find it a deeply spiritual time because that which is shared is not rote or formulaic, but often speaks to the real struggles and joys people are experiencing within their business, personal, and family life. Folks ask each other to remember them in prayer. I find it a deeply moving get-together where simply eating Costco hot dogs from the U.S. is a real treat for many of us! I find more openness and honesty than in any of the three meetings in the ward on a given Sunday. I guess in my non-LDS Christian experience we would call it a "small group" get-together. There is no agenda or lessons. People simply share. I find that simply wonderful. Technically my wife and I are not empty-nesters since our son lives with us, and we certainly are not leaders in any formal way, but we are so blessed to be invited to the meetings. I am already looking forward to next week's meeting.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/16/2018 at 12:37 AM, Tacenda said:

The one testimony I lost my patience with was a woman that took the whole time up preaching to us, and a "look at me" kind of testimony. Or I took it that way. Maybe it wasn't that bad, but she went on & on probably a good 15 minutes, I think.

FWIW
Repetition is a symptom of dementia/alzheimer's

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×