Sign in to follow this  

The ministry of reconciliation

Been reviewing Elder Holland’s talk. Does anyone have any experience with reconciling family members with each other or with the Church and Christ? Anyone willing to share?

I'm sorry to use this topic by Avatar4321, but I'm on Limited and cannot start topics. I just want to post a link to something that I think many Christian churches have to think hard about and even apologise for, so that many in their congregation can reconcilliate their faith in their particular organization.

https://baptistnews.com/article/3-words-for-the-church-in-2019-we-were-wrong/#.XDeBXnbYrnH

Edited by Tacenda

I have two siblings who won't talk to each other. It started with a misunderstanding and graduated to retaliation mode, where it is thriving. I have talked to both on numerous occasions and have told them to apologize to each other. Neither wants to be the first one to apologize, and I suspect that if one did apologize , the other would accept the apology but not return an apology. It's been going on for about 9 years.

4 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I'm sorry to use this topic by Avatar4321, but I'm on Limited and cannot start topics. I just want to post a link to something that I think many Christian churches have to think hard about and even apologise for, so that many in their congregation can reconcilliate their faith in their particular organization.

https://baptistnews.com/article/3-words-for-the-church-in-2019-we-were-wrong/#.XDeBXnbYrnH

Thanks for the link.  I’d suggest a much shorter list applicable to all religions.  Any religion should apologize for (and work to rectify) any circumstance where someone has an experience with a church/religion which leads them to believe that the church/religion considers itself a sine qua non for access to Diety or spirituality.  

Way too often an experience with religion leads one to never attempt or stop trying to seek Deity and that is tragic.  I think it would happen less frequently if all religion made it clear that their central purpose is helping you discover and then enhance your relationship with God.

Included as a subset to my one item list would be an apology from our friends in mainstream Christian churches who presume that they have the right to define who is a Christian.

7 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Hi Tacenda,

I read the article and I appreciate the need to clarify and state where error existed or where actions were not helpful; however, I disagree with this individual's list. His very liberal interpretation of scripture is not one that works well if we are to believe that scripture exists as God's communication to his children. He seems to be one of those with itchy ears and eager to have his opinions and passions placated rather than stand as a witness to Jesus' death and resurrection and what those things mean. 

Hope all is well. It is a good topic. 

9 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Great article.  Is the purpose of a church to bring people to Christ or to dictate beliefs and kick people out who don't follow those teachings.  The fastest growing religion is no religion.  I believe churches themselves are the chief cause of the mass leaving of organized religion.  Having a council and voting on a policy does not mean it comes from God. It only means that those in the council are in agreement.  What seems much more important is for each individual to have a relationship with Christ and to receive personal revelation and let God be their guide.  Put your trust in God not man.  That should be the goal of religion.  Creating an environment to allow that to happen should be the purpose of those that lead others to Christ.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, california boy said:

Great article.  Is the purpose of a church to bring people to Christ or to dictate beliefs and kick people out who don't follow those teachings.  The fastest growing religion is no religion.  I believe churches themselves are the chief cause of the mass leaving of organized religion.  Having a council and voting on a policy does not mean it comes from God. It only means that those in the council are in agreement.  What seems much more important is for each individual to have a relationship with Christ and to receive personal revelation and let God be their guide.  Put your trust in God not man.  That should be the goal of religion.  Creating an environment to allow that to happen should be the purpose of those that lead others to Christ.

True that!

17 hours ago, california boy said:

Great article.  Is the purpose of a church to bring people to Christ or to dictate beliefs and kick people out who don't follow those teachings.  

We can have two purposes.