Sign in to follow this  
Rivers

Change of Heart on Important Issues

Over on the Pres. Oaks thread, I mentioned that I had change of perspective on the topic of homosexuality.  I at one time really struggled with the church’s stance on the issue.  My way of thinking about it has evolved to place where I can appreciate and support the totality of the principles taught in the Proclamation on the Family while still trusting that God is benevolent and will judge everyone fairly.  I support the doctrine while also respecting everyone’s right to choose to live in whatever way that brings them happiness.

Has anybody else had a significant change of heart regarding any gospel-related topic?

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Rivers said:

Over on the Pres. Oaks thread, I mentioned that I had change of perspective on the topic of homosexuality.  I at one time really struggled with the church’s stance on the issue.  My way of thinking about it has evolved to place where I can appreciate and support the totality of the principles taught in the Proclamation on the Family while still trusting that God is benevolent and will judge everyone fairly.  I support the doctrine while also respecting everyone’s right to choose to live in whatever way that brings them happiness.

Has anybody else had a significant change of heart regarding any gospel-related topic?

Didn't watch general conference, I am curious though how Mormon culture will respond.  Christians are getting persecuted more and more, and from my opinion to a degree they kind of deserve it.  Putting bickering and dogma aside, it's pretty simple, you step on a group of disenfranchised people long enough they get other like minded people together and fight back like they did over prop 8, kind of like a bunch of angry peasants coming after a tax happy landlord. 

That being said, think the LDS church will ever do like say, in Germany and just stay out of the institution of marriage altogether, or are we going to see more prop 8-tier drama?  At the moment it's pretty much free entertainment but I do hope the church knows sooner or later they'll have to shovel out more money for security at their temples as people are becoming more and more riot happy.  My advice would be to grease the palms of some crooked mayor and remove said stinky protestors with a snowplow.  Here's to hoping the protestors who show up are the stinky, icky Portland variety lol

21 hours ago, Rivers said:

The number of responses to your question so far seriously worries me ... :(

21 hours ago, Rivers said:

Sorry for the "me too", but I guess I can say the same thing.

4 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

The number of responses to your question so far seriously worries me ... :(

Why is that?  

1 minute ago, Stargazer said:

Why is that?  

If we aren't experiencing changes of heart, does that mean we aren't open to revelation and/or correction by the Lord. I know He's personally changed my thinking on a large number of issues.

6 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

If we aren't experiencing changes of heart, does that mean we aren't open to revelation and/or correction by the Lord. I know He's personally changed my thinking on a large number of issues.

Well, OK, but though I have experienced such things, they haven't been on major issues.  I think I might dare to count myself among those who wasn't that far off the reservation in the first place.  

I'm having a hard time coming up with anything, beyond personal behavior issues that needed correcting, that would require changing my thinking.  The only thing I can possibly come up with at this time is how my understanding of the nature of Christ has grown over the years.  But that's been gradual, and hasn't involved revelation so much as it has been "line up line, precept upon precept".

33 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

But that's been gradual, and hasn't involved revelation so much as it has been "line up line, precept upon precept".

Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1