Sign in to follow this  
Rain

Which talks inspired you?

Pres. Eyring’s talk during the women’s session was a talk I needed. 

I also really loved Elder Gong’s talk. I’m really bad at crafty things but sometimes I just want to make something!  Usually though I don’t bother because, knowing the outcome won’t be great, it seems like a waste of time and money.  I’m now reconsidering that perspective. 

• Like 2

My favourite was also President Ballard's talk. In was beyond weird that i was sitting next to a descendant of Pres. Joseph Fielding Smith while he was giving the talk! I love studying the history around section 138 and the revelation itself!

• Like 3

Just now, bluebell said:

I’m really bad at crafty things but sometimes I just want to make something!  Usually though I don’t bother because, knowing the outcome won’t be great, it seems like a waste of time and money.

I channel all my creativity into making -- and then consuming -- food! Never a waste of time or money. :D

(We're still waiting for General Conference to be rebroadcast this weekend here ...)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I channel all my creativity into making -- and then consuming -- food! Never a waste of time or money. :D

(We're still waiting for General Conference to be rebroadcast this weekend here ...)

True!

27 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Pres. Eyring’s talk during the women’s session was a talk I needed. 

I also really loved Elder Gong’s talk. I’m really bad at crafty things but sometimes I just want to make something!  Usually though I don’t bother because, knowing the outcome won’t be great, it seems like a waste of time and money.  I’m now reconsidering that perspective. 

There is much more to being creative than being crafty. Writing is one of those things. You do well at it. Perhaps you could "make" a book. 

• Like 2

I likes Elder Anderson's talk about the trial of life and Elder Holland's talk about letting offenses and grudges go.

• Like 4

Elder Oaks  on truth.

Contrary to popular belief, it was not about hermaphrodites but  a new vision of "Truth" which will certainly become doctrine and get this ship moving forward again.

It's the only definition of truth that makes the statement "I know the church is true" make sense, and makes historical issues irrelevant to the gospel as a message.

Just listen to the first 10 minutes or so- I was crying like a baby that someone would say that over  the podium at Conference.  He must have been readying Rorty.  ;)

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

So much more! As I was sitting in the endowment room two weekends ago, I was struck by how what God creates is both order and beauty. Anytime we create order and/or beauty, we are imitating Him. And sometimes we can do both just by spending time with someone.

Yes, we are organizing matter unorganized every minute we are alive.

Light/waves/particles enter your eyes and your intelligence creates "reality" as you know it from that random chaos.

Edited by mfbukowski

I’m not sure I can pick just one yet. 

I really liked President Eyerings talk Sunday afternoon .

Edited by Avatar4321
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

Elder Oaks  on truth.

Contrary to popular belief, it was not about hermaphrodites but  a new vision of "Truth" which will certainly become doctrine and get this ship moving forward again.

It's the only definition of truth that makes the statement "I know the church is true" make sense, and makes historical issues irrelevant to the gospel as a message.

Just listen to the first 10 minutes or so- I was crying like a baby that someone would say that over  the podium at Conference.  He must have been readying Rorty.  ;)

I was honestly thinking of you as he spoke - thinking, “this must be making Mark’s day!”

• Like 1

Elder Uchdorf as usual.  “Believe, love, do” was the motto if I remember correctly.

Elder Renlund gave a great talk on spiritual maturity. I loved the analogy of God wanting us to join the family business rather than be an obedient family pet.  Renlund is becoming one of my favorites.

Bednar was also great.  He also spoke of spiritual maturity as opposed to having a Pharisee-like checklist.

Holland gave a great forgiveness talk. We could all benefit from the healing balm of forgiveness. 

Very good conference.  I need to go back and read some of them once the texts are available.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Rivers said:

I loved the analogy of God wanting us to join the family business rather than be an obedient family pet.

This sounds great! Looking forward to this weekend ...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pogi said:

I was honestly thinking of you as he spoke - thinking, “this must be making Mark’s day!”

It was!

And now my wife thinks I am a genius which of course she should  have known anyway.  But she is a little prejudiced I guess.  🤩

Edited by mfbukowski

28 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Elder Robert C. Gay said something that made me think:
"A few years ago my older sister passed away. She had a challenging life. She struggled with the gospel and was never really active. Her husband abandoned their marriage and left her with four young children to raise. On the evening of her passing, in a room with her children present, I gave her a blessing to peacefully return home. At that moment I realized I had too often defined my sister’s life in terms of her trials and inactivity. As I placed my hands on her head that evening, I received a severe rebuke from the Spirit. I was made acutely aware of her goodness and allowed to see her as God saw her—not as someone who struggled with the gospel and life but as someone who had to deal with difficult issues I did not have. I saw her as a magnificent mother who, despite great obstacles, had raised four beautiful, amazing children. "

Do we define people according to their weaknesses or imperfections or do we see them as God does? 

It’s interesting you mention that.

since Conference I’ve been finding myself look at different people and saying in my head that God loves them.

its been opening my eyes a bit to what charity actually is

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rivers said:

Elder Uchdorf as usual.  “Believe, love, do” was the motto if I remember correctly.

Elder Renlund gave a great talk on spiritual maturity. I loved the analogy of God wanting us to join the family business rather than be an obedient family pet.  Renlund is becoming one of my favorites.

Bednar was also great.  He also spoke of spiritual maturity as opposed to having a Pharisee-like checklist.

Holland gave a great forgiveness talk. We could all benefit from the healing balm of forgiveness. 

Very good conference.  I need to go back and read some of them once the texts are available.

Texts are up.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

I’m not sure I can pick just one yet. 

I really liked President Eyerings talk Sunday afternoon .

Pick more than one then! :)

1 hour ago, JAHS said:

Elder Robert C. Gay said something that made me think:
"A few years ago my older sister passed away. She had a challenging life. She struggled with the gospel and was never really active. Her husband abandoned their marriage and left her with four young children to raise. On the evening of her passing, in a room with her children present, I gave her a blessing to peacefully return home. At that moment I realized I had too often defined my sister’s life in terms of her trials and inactivity. As I placed my hands on her head that evening, I received a severe rebuke from the Spirit. I was made acutely aware of her goodness and allowed to see her as God saw her—not as someone who struggled with the gospel and life but as someone who had to deal with difficult issues I did not have. I saw her as a magnificent mother who, despite great obstacles, had raised four beautiful, amazing children. "

Do we define people according to their weaknesses or imperfections or do we see them as God does? 

I wrote what you bolder down when I heard it. So powerful. I find it is hardest for me with those closest to me. 

• Like 1

In their broadest sense, creation and parenting are the works of Deity.  The fact that an apostle would invite Elder Gong to expand his horizons to focus on the process of creation (through art), points toward the need for all of us to develop and utilize our ability to create.

I watched President Nelsons talk in the women's conference with my wife and I was extremely pleased with the different invitations to all the women, especially the youth. While I know his thoughts may have been directed toward the Sisters I found it very edifying for myself and have tried to keep the invitations since Saturday night. His boldness and straightforward connections from invitations to blessings was empowering and though provoking. I was reading scriptures and other articles while my wife watched, but I couldn't focus on anything else when President Nelson started speaking. He has an excitement and urgency to his talks that are very motivating and spiritually edifying.

On 10/9/2018 at 4:07 PM, Rain said:

Which [talks] inspired you to do something?

Sister Bonnie Cordon's talk from Sunday morning about shepherding. Which, to be frank, is kind of strange because I honestly didn't care for the actual talk that much. 

But, while I was listening and thinking about my families, I felt a strong conviction that I could be doing more to reach out to them - one of them, in particular. And I felt inspired to reach out to them in a very specific way.

I have since done so, and the husband has responded positively. I think it will result in an increase in authentic friendship, so I'm incredibly grateful to the Lord for providing that inspiration.

• Like 2