Seriously No Politics ×

12 New Temples!

51 minutes ago, cinepro said:

That's an interesting point.  I keep meaning to go to a live session just to see it. 

The Yuba City, CA one is a head scratcher for me.  The Sacramento Temple must be less than an hour away.  I never would have imagined there were enough Saints up there to warrant it.

The Sacramento Temple is about an hour away from Yuba City. I’ve heard that Sacramento is operating well over capacity, even when Oakland is open (it’s closed for renovation right now).  There are some large stakes out near Yuba City and there are a surprising number of members in that area.  

6 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I think that Pres. Nelson's reaction probably spurred the celebrations on.  And i'm ok with that.  Why not shout for joy when temples are announced.  

When I joined the Church the nearest temple was in Washington DC - more than 900 miles away. I still have never been inside.

Then the Church built the Atlanta Temple and in the 90s the Orlando Temple. There was much celebration of local members when the Orlando Temple was built. Of course, at the time there was probably no more than a handful of Florida members at conference or none at all. Now with such a large building there are members attending from some of these places. I am glad they are happy to hear about temples. I was really happy when the Payson Temple was announced, and love attending it and doing work for ancestors there. There is just something "more special" when I drive by it. I feel like it is "my temple," and I love to look at it. Recently with the fires on Bald and Dry Mountains, I drove by it at night with the flames roaring up into the sky  behind it, and felt strange that I found the sight awesome in some way, and wanted to take a picture of it. 

I begrudge nothing to members who look forward to local temples. Being able to do proxy work for ancestors themselves just makes the restored gospel closer to the heart. And yes, Pres Nelson did look happy at the excitement expressed. Unless it becomes disruptive, I share your opinion there is nothing wrong with it. I say make a joyful noise that the Lord is spreading His work across the world! We are reaching the dawn of a new era for the Church (and the world). 

1 hour ago, Calm said:

I am actually relieved that Saints can get overwhelmed by excitement about the work of the Lord at times.

It would be nice if members could remember the thrill when participating in the Hosanna Shout as from observing, a number appear to find it awkward and are more subdued or stilted than joyful in my experience.

When I was a teenager, a man and woman began showing up for Sacrament Meetings that nobody recognized.  They would arrive just as the meeting opened and leave immediately after the closing prayer. Eventually, the Bishop (my Dad) revealed that the man was a formerly inactive member of the Ward.  As his activity grew, and people eventually began to interact with him, he became a much loved brother.

When his wife decided to join the Church, there was a much rejoicing—very quiet rejoicing.  I will never forget the first time she spoke in Church following her baptism.  She said that she had been overwhelmed by the Spirit of God since finding the Church and on more than one occasion had felt the desire to cry out “Praise God!”  She explained that this was common in the church in which she had grown up.  She also said she had read about this sort of expression being fairly common in the early Restored Church and wished that it could once again be so.

I’m all in favor of reverence, but I too wish we were a bit less staid in our worship.  I liked the spontaneous expressions of righteous joy we heard today during the last session of General Conference.

8 minutes ago, Okrahomer said:

I’m all in favor of reverence, but I too wish we were a bit less staid in our worship.  I liked the spontaneous expressions of righteous joy we heard today during the last session of General Conference.

In my opinion, it takes a special kind of talent to turn something as inherently joy producing as the Restored gospel into anything staid or dour or, worse!, boring.

4 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

They all get built. This site is good for keeping track.

Not counting the Missouri Temple sites, it looks like the longest lag time is the Urdaneta Philippines Temple which was announced 8 years ago and still hasn't had a groundbreaking.

4 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

So moving through the five rooms but film, not live actors?  That must be interesting.

A lot of the newer temples that I have been through have you moving through the rooms with the film, though I don't think any of them (that I have been through have had 5). I think my first of the newer temples like this was Oquirrh Hills.

3 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

I just hope they build it to withstand a category 5 hurricane. I'd be especially confident if they would design it as a geodesic dome (kudos to Bucky Fuller).

There are currently some with a type of A-frame design that would probably work well for a hurricane resistant design, and be much more attractive.

(no offense intended to those who like geodesic domes.)

17 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Am I just getting old and crotchety? The whooping and hollering when they announce temples irks me.

I need some kids to be on my lawn so I can yell at them to get off of it.

My wife pointed out that they only do it with President Nelson (including back in April). They didn't do it when Elder Cook spoke about the 2 hour block, but that's because he's . . . Elder Cook and not President Nelson. Her point was that President Nelson's manner and way is refreshing, especially after President Monson, but it also encourages and invites some increasingly irreverent and class-less behavior and responses. She said, and I think she's correct, that the whoopers and hollerers wouldn't do that if someone other than President Nelson did the announcing. Maybe they wouldn't care who it is, though. Hopefully, April doesn't have cries of "You go, Nelson!" or "I love you, Nelson!" Temple and policy announcements in GC are starting to sound like skit night at girls camp. 

Edited by rongo
11 hours ago, cinepro said:

Not counting the Missouri Temple sites, it looks like the longest lag time is the Urdaneta Philippines Temple which was announced 8 years ago and still hasn't had a groundbreaking.

Well, the undisclosed-location Russia and India temples could shatter that record. 

8 minutes ago, Gray said:

Neat! Does this mean that temple construction isn't necessarily tied to meeting certain metrics anymore, I wonder?

I don't think it is. I think they are being strategically placed for branding and visibility purposes. A lot of the smaller temples in low-LDS areas are hard to staff over time, and not patronized well once the enthusiasm and euphoria die down. But I don't think that's the primary purpose with many of these.