Seriously No Politics ×

Women's Session

5 minutes ago, Rain said:

I know we always have 1 member of the 1st presidency speak. Do they usually all attend? And the other men as well?

I heard today that they want to have all three just as they do for the men's session now.

37 minutes ago, Rain said:

Being more does not necessarily equate to doing more - Michelle Craig.

I have espoused this idea for quite some time now. Often doing actually gets in the way of being, like a cover-up. It's good sometimes to just sit and be and not do anything. Deep (and often wordless) prayer allows this, as does meditation/contemplation. Monks don't do as much as other people, but they sure seem to be more.

3 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

I have espoused this idea for quite some time now. Often doing actually gets in the way of being, like a cover-up. It's good sometimes to just sit and be and not do anything. Deep (and often wordless) prayer allows this, as does meditation/contemplation. Monks don't do as much as other people, but they sure seem to be more.

Yeahbut:

Service.

Should we limit service opportunities for meditating time?

Of course the answer is follow the spirit or moderation in all things- yes I know- I just wanted to be a contrarian. !

3 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

Twitter verse is apparently raging about President Oaks talk to the ladies tonight

What did he say?

Proclamation on the family, right?

6 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Yeahbut:

Service.

Should we limit service opportunities for meditating time?

Of course the answer is follow the spirit or moderation in all things- yes I know- I just wanted to be a contrarian. !

I'm glad you corrected yourself at the end :P 

Prayer/contemplation/meditation can also be service and is sometimes more efficacious than actual doing. But, like you said, the answer is to find God's will and follow it so you can know what's best.

Monks sometimes are attacked for not doing enough service to the world. My response is that they have followed God's call for their individual lives to be dedicated to prayer and their sacrifice and prayer yields great results for the world. Also, the number of contemplative monks is minuscule as compared to the number of active/service-giving religious and lay people. And besides, those Trappist monks make great beer! ;) 

I know you were just being contrary, but I wanted to put it out there for those who are reading :) 

7 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

What did he say?

Proclamation on the family, right?

He talked about how LDS women’s highest ambition and goal is motherhood. That’s paraphrasing. He also gave counsel, which from an older man in a women’s session doesn’t sit well with some.

3 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

Would it be the LDS position to say the same about men? That their highest goal and ambition is fatherhood?

Yes. However, I’d wager that people would say the diversity of talks directed to the men make that subject a minority. I’m not necessarily making that argument or saying it is or isn’t correct, just that that may approximately reflect an opposing position.

6 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

Would it be the LDS position to say the same about men? That their highest goal and ambition is fatherhood?

Yes

If so, I don't see the controversy. If not, then what is the man's highest goal?

If not then his highest goal is keeping his wife happy. 😉

If so, I don't see the controversy. If not, then what is the man's highest goal?

It's certainly my goal.

i don't see the controversy either but truth irritates some

6 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

Prophet just asked the sisters to stay off social media for 10 days.

Does this website count as social media? If so, it looks like we'll be having a bachelor party here for a week and a half ;) 

(yes, I'm home alone on a Saturday night, waiting for my lady to get home, so ya'll have to put up with the Catholic responding on every thread for a little while longer :) )

Edited by MiserereNobis
2 hours ago, Rain said:

I know we always have 1 member of the 1st presidency speak. Do they usually all attend? And the other men as well?

I was afraid there would be a complaint about three men encroaching on the “women’s meeting.” Guess I was too slow on the draw to point out that for as far back as anyone can remember, the pattern at general conference has been for each member of the First Presidency to speak at least twice: once during a general session and once during the Saturday evening session. 

I enjoyed viewing the women’s session. I think my favorite talk was by Sister Franco, who told the story of the teacher who sacrificed her bus fare so she could make a special treat for her class. 

26 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

I'm glad you corrected yourself at the end :P 

Prayer/contemplation/meditation can also be service and is sometimes more efficacious than actual doing. But, like you said, the answer is to find God's will and follow it so you can know what's best.

Monks sometimes are attacked for not doing enough service to the world. My response is that they have followed God's call for their individual lives to be dedicated to prayer and their sacrifice and prayer yields great results for the world. Also, the number of contemplative monks is minuscule as compared to the number of active/service-giving religious and lay people. And besides, those Trappist monks make great beer! ;) 

I know you were just being contrary, but I wanted to put it out there for those who are reading :) 

One can only correct oneself if one has made an error.  ;)

15 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I was afraid there would be a complaint about three men encroaching on the “women’s meeting.” Guess I was too slow on the draw to point out that for as far back as anyone can remember, the pattern at general conference has been for each member of the First Presidency to speak at least twice: once during a general session and once during the Saturday evening session. 

I enjoyed viewing the women’s session. I think my favorite talk was by Sister Franco, who told the story of the teacher who sacrificed her bus fare so she could make a special treat for her class. 

Do you think there will be female speakers in the Priesthood session in April?

Edited by sheilauk