Jump to content
JLHPROF

It's Official- 2 Hour Block

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, sheilauk said:

Of course and I will raise that with the stake presidency but then who organises it & who has the keys to lock up?  When will it start?   How often  should it be scheduled?   And I do not suggest we stop talking about families but it would be nice to talk sometimes about single adults and not as an afterthought.  It would be nice to see a program for them as well as YSAs.  Most of those in my stake do not work with members or even religious people.  They are looking to share some time with like minded people.   Evenings are not good,  too tired after work or afraid to go out at night.  In the day many are at work.  Study groups were discouraged, it took quite a while to persuade my stake to try a study group. After 5 years,  we have reached around 12 regulars.   A third of members in my stake are single. Two thirds of them don't attend church.  They attend YSA and on reaching 30, if not married they stop coming.  Stargazer, what have you lost?   Instead of studies on your own in the 2nd hour, you can go home and study for an hour.  SAs lose an hour of companionship,  of company, going home to an empty house.  For many,  that is lonely. Unless we can get a study group going,  though many friends won't be there because they are in a couple and it makes it more obvious  that we are different and lacking something. As for other family - what if that family isn't a member (many of my singles are in part member families) or if they live many miles away (as all my family do).  I hope we can encourage the SAs to get together but it will take effort, which is hard to maintain.   And Elder Oaks has just said this is a church for families.  

Elder Cook said that those who want to do such meetings have the responsibility to organize them, including when they happen and how it's scheduled.  As for locking the church, church's here in America don't need keys to lock their doors, are the ones in the UK different?  Here in the US you just turn a button on the inside of the door to lock it so anyone can lock up when they are leaving.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, JLHPROF said:

And knowing how few members actually study outside of the Sunday block I don't see a lot of growth in spiritual and doctrinal knowledge in our future.

It's possible that Lord knows some things that the rest of us don't.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I am an over 55 single member, and I rejoice at the announcement of a two hour block!   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Though I welcome the change, I do have misgivings such as those you highlight here. Also, will members make good use of the extra time, or will they spend it in indolence or in ways that are less than compatible with Sabbath observance?

I don't think that they will do what is expected of them. Rather, it is more likely to become a part of the day to experience and enjoy. People just don''t have the 3 hours anymore on a Sunday without feeling overwhelmed.

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, Garden Girl said:

I'm trying to be positive about this change because I do believe our leaders are led by inspiration and revelation... however, I'm someone with physical challenges that can find it difficult to get myself up and ready, and drive to the Church for the 3-hr meeting(s).  Now the emphasis is focused more on the home for learning/teaching... and with the reduced time allotted for church, it hardly seems worth the effort... the new changes emphasize teaching children/families... families, children, families, children, families... in the home.  I have no family... I'm totally alone... the change to "ministering" has curtailed my HTs regularly bringing the priesthood into my home, instead replacing it with an occasional phone call and "call us if you need us"... and brought my already sporadic VT visits to a complete halt with only an occasional phone call to "check on me."  As an elderly single sister I used to feel left out... now I also feel my aloneness even more acutely... 

It is through my own efforts to reach out that I have any real amount of closeness to the Church remaining... 

GG 

There is some truth in this. Singles have been forgotten in the church. I don't think that they have thought this through very well. The church has now put spiritual responsibility onto the member. It is perhaps no longer a collective effort to help eachother live a spiritual life. Now, it is all up to the indiviual and single people will feel the affect of a life alone without nurture of other members.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, SteveO said:

I’d speak to your bishop and relief society president and ask for regular visits.  I personally would have no problem making a trip to visit someone who appreciates the visit.  Especially if you’re all alone.  I believe we’re told to specifically visit and support people like you.  That’s the whole point of ministering, so someone is dropping the ball on a great opportunity to serve.

The problem may be that people do not want to request the support. With home teaching it was not a request but an obligation. Now it is a request and many people do not want to be a burden for other people.

Edited by why me
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, amo said:

SA members normally have a brother, sister, nephew, niece, etc. &, they also "count" as FAMILY... This becomes then, a good opportunity to get closer to them.

“Normally”? The vast majority of single adult sisters in my age group that I know (not part of the YSA/fertile child-bearing age) have NO family in the church (or family at all). 

There’s a lot of invisibility that happens for single sisters, whether or not any of you want to believe it  

My introduction to Relief Society was the wife of my just-assigned Home Teacher standing up and having a temper tantrum because her husband had been assigned to - horror of horrors - a SINGLE sister!  Mind you this was the same guy who was assigned to accompany the missionaries on my lessons, only to be a no-call,  no-show appointment after appointment. Thankfully, I had great missionaries who were responsible (and creative), else I would never have received all the missionary lessons. New member lessons never happened.  And I can count one hand the number of times I’ve had home teaching visits in the seven years I’ve been a member. Same for visiting teaching.  And I was doing visiting teaching myself (alone, companion couldn’t be bothered) before I had ever been on the receiving end.  I still feel sorry for that first sister I was assigned to visit. She deserved someone who had a clue. 

Okay, rant over.  This what happens when us old ladies are trying to function on two hours sleep. We get cranky and forget to sit on our hands!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Just got this email today of the "official" announcement

meetings.thumb.jpg.a104fab14333b4c2558c67c37fc89b5b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, why me said:

The problem may be that people do not want to request the support. With home teaching it was not a request but an obligation. Now it is a request and many people do not want to be a burden for other people.

It depends on the burden.  I refuse to help young, capable people move their stuff because they’re too lazy to do it themselves, or too cheap to hire movers.  Move your own things.  The church isn’t there to be utilized as a free labor service.

But in the case of GG, that’s the entire point of what we’re supposed to be doing. If visiting a lonely window is going to bother you...well, you may need to do some re evaluation of your relationship to Christ.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Garden Girl said:

I'm trying to be positive about this change because I do believe our leaders are led by inspiration and revelation... however, I'm someone with physical challenges that can find it difficult to get myself up and ready, and drive to the Church for the 3-hr meeting(s).  Now the emphasis is focused more on the home for learning/teaching... and with the reduced time allotted for church, it hardly seems worth the effort... the new changes emphasize teaching children/families... families, children, families, children, families... in the home.  I have no family... I'm totally alone... the change to "ministering" has curtailed my HTs regularly bringing the priesthood into my home, instead replacing it with an occasional phone call and "call us if you need us"... and brought my already sporadic VT visits to a complete halt with only an occasional phone call to "check on me."  As an elderly single sister I used to feel left out... now I also feel my aloneness even more acutely... 

It is through my own efforts to reach out that I have any real amount of closeness to the Church remaining... 

GG 

There is no perfect schedule that will work for everyone.  For us with a child with ADHD it will be easier to deal with him for 2 hours than 3.  He just needs to run around and burn off energy.  Keeping him in class rooms and behaving himself for 3 hours is hard for him.  So in our case, 2 hours is a relief.  I am sure for others it will be difficult.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Garden Girl said:

I'm trying to be positive about this change because I do believe our leaders are led by inspiration and revelation... however, I'm someone with physical challenges that can find it difficult to get myself up and ready, and drive to the Church for the 3-hr meeting(s).  Now the emphasis is focused more on the home for learning/teaching... and with the reduced time allotted for church, it hardly seems worth the effort... the new changes emphasize teaching children/families... families, children, families, children, families... in the home.  I have no family... I'm totally alone... the change to "ministering" has curtailed my HTs regularly bringing the priesthood into my home, instead replacing it with an occasional phone call and "call us if you need us"... and brought my already sporadic VT visits to a complete halt with only an occasional phone call to "check on me."  As an elderly single sister I used to feel left out... now I also feel my aloneness even more acutely... 

It is through my own efforts to reach out that I have any real amount of closeness to the Church remaining... 

GG 

Be of good cheer sister. The Lord will provide. Share your feelings and thoughts with your priesthood leaders and relief society sisters and the Lord will address every point you’ve made.

 

you aren’t alone. I’m not sure how this will all work with my part member family 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, bluebell said:

A lot of people are too poor to hire movers though, and a lot of things require stronger helpers than one man and one woman.

I can appreciate that.  Case by case basis.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, bluebell said:

A lot of people are too poor to hire movers though, and a lot of things require stronger helpers than one man and one woman.

I do think that is the rare exception though.  Most people utilize the Elders as a free moving company even though they have the resources to do it themselves.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Buckeye said:

I feel for you. This may not be much help, but one thing to consider is that no church policy is optimal for all members. Nor are policies eternal. 

For my family, this policy change will be an improvement.  But I’m confident it will not be a help for other members in my ward, particularly YM I work with who do not come from strong gospel families.  I expect my single siblings may feel the same as you; the focus of this really is to help married families  

So as you come to terms with the change. Don’t think you have to get a testimony that the change is best for you in order to get a testimony that it is best for the church as a whole.  

 

 

I know.  And it is what it is and so we have to make the best of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, bluebell said:

Elder Cook said that those who want to do such meetings have the responsibility to organize them, including when they happen and how it's scheduled.  As for locking the church, church's here in America don't need keys to lock their doors, are the ones in the UK different?  Here in the US you just turn a button on the inside of the door to lock it so anyone can lock up when they are leaving.

All the chapels I know need keys.   I don't know about all the chapels in the UK of course.  Plus my ward has an alarm to set.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, sheilauk said:

I know.  And it is what it is and so we have to make the best of it.

The Lord has given new commands in this. He will provide a way for all of us to do this and bless us for our efforts 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Raingirl said:

“Normally”? The vast majority of single adult sisters in my age group that I know (not part of the YSA/fertile child-bearing age) have NO family in the church (or family at all). 

There’s a lot of invisibility that happens for single sisters, whether or not any of you want to believe it  

My introduction to Relief Society was the wife of my just-assigned Home Teacher standing up and having a temper tantrum because her husband had been assigned to - horror of horrors - a SINGLE sister!  Mind you this was the same guy who was assigned to accompany the missionaries on my lessons, only to be a no-call,  no-show appointment after appointment. Thankfully, I had great missionaries who were responsible (and creative), else I would never have received all the missionary lessons. New member lessons never happened.  And I can count one hand the number of times I’ve had home teaching visits in the seven years I’ve been a member. Same for visiting teaching.  And I was doing visiting teaching myself (alone, companion couldn’t be bothered) before I had ever been on the receiving end.  I still feel sorry for that first sister I was assigned to visit. She deserved someone who had a clue. 

Okay, rant over.  This what happens when us old ladies are trying to function on two hours sleep. We get cranky and forget to sit on our hands!

I understand and feel much the same way.  I did not even know there were new member lessons for some years,  I never got them.   Didn't even have a gospel doctrine class!  I have had 3 visits by the priesthood holders,  most of the time I don't know who my HT / ministering brethren are.  And I mainly see my ministering sisters at church because it's hard to arrange suitable appointments with me working and our evening schedules. And I have no family in the church or who live nearby.   Oh well, have to just keep going!   (And I have had little sleep today so also particularly cranky! )  I wish we all lived nearer to each other!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, sheilauk said:

All the chapels I know need keys.   I don't know about all the chapels in the UK of course.  Plus my ward has an alarm to set.  

Oh all chapels definitely need keys to unlock the doors.  I was speaking to your question on who would be around to lock up.  I don't know of any churches that need keys to lock the doors, only unlock them from the outside.  But the chapel style out of the US could very well be different than what i'm familiar with.

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, pogi said:

I do think that is the rare exception though.  Most people utilize the Elders as a free moving company even though they have the resources to do it themselves.

It's probably very similar to how most people utilize the RS as a free meal service during times of challenge or sorrow, even though they have the resources to feed themselves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×