Jump to content
rockpond

Bill Reel’s Conference Predictions

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

LOL! Voice to text again! 

I eventually caught it and edited it... ;)

Sorry to take advantage of you like that, but it was funny.

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

So I'm left wondering why Reel would make such an announcement.  Stirring the pot?  Trying to stay relevant?  Trying to wag the dog?  Can't figure it out.  I hope it's not just making mischief.

Why?  Podcast content.

But, he's hardly the only one...

Mormonland podcast has an episode on it.  Mormon Matters as well.  And then there's social media and blogs.

I haven't seen one from Mormon Stories... Dehlin has been sticking to some pretty serious subject matter lately.

 

And then there's the reason that we've spent (far too much) time on it here... it's a little fun to speculate and to evaluate the speculations.

 

Edited by rockpond
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

Sorry to take advantage of you like that, but it was funny.

No problem it WAS funny!! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post

So here's something new that I just heard in a mommy group on Facebook, that a bunch of missionaries are opening their mission calls and all it says is that where they are going will be announced during GC.  One of the women saying it's true says that this was what her nephew's mission call said.

That.  seems.  weird.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, bluebell said:

So here's something new that I just heard in a mommy group on Facebook, that a bunch of missionaries are opening their mission calls and all it says is that where they are going will be announced during GC.  One of the women saying it's true says that this was what her nephew's mission call said.

That.  seems.  weird.

I've heard that a couple of times as well. Maybe they're announcing the opening of a new mission. But it is unusual.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, bluebell said:

So here's something new that I just heard in a mommy group on Facebook, that a bunch of missionaries are opening their mission calls and all it says is that where they are going will be announced during GC.  One of the women saying it's true says that this was what her nephew's mission call said.

That.  seems.  weird.

That's reminiscient of the mission call to China thing, where people got their call and it says to phone this number and Pres. Hinckley was on the other end of the line and he told you that you were going to China

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Duncan said:

That's reminiscient of the mission call to China thing, where people got their call and it says to phone this number and Pres. Hinckley was on the other end of the line and he told you that you were going to China

My favorites were the calls where the elder was going to be teaching in Navajo sign language, would need to serve for three years, and would not be allowed to speak to or receive letters from family or friends because it would be too distracting to the difficult task ahead.  :lol:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, bluebell said:

So here's something new that I just heard in a mommy group on Facebook, that a bunch of missionaries are opening their mission calls and all it says is that where they are going will be announced during GC.  One of the women saying it's true says that this was what her nephew's mission call said.

That.  seems.  weird.

 

1 minute ago, HappyJackWagon said:

I've heard that a couple of times as well. Maybe they're announcing the opening of a new mission. But it is unusual.

That seems like the ultimate in "mission call reveals." Hopefully, these kids have the presence of mind to record them by the TV with their vague call letter when the announcement is made. Best. YouTube. Reveal. Ever.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, bluebell said:

My favorites were the calls where the elder was going to be teaching in Navajo sign language, would need to serve for three years, and would not be allowed to speak to or receive letters from family or friends because it would be too distracting to the difficult task ahead.  :lol:

hahhahahhahahhaha! 

Share this post


Link to post

I don’t put a lot of stock into what Bill says. I think someone else commented he is just trying to stay relevant for as long as he can.
So here is what I think that we are going to hear, some more on calling ourselves members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and no longer using the term Mormon. I know now if you go to www.become.org  it takes you to Mormon.org so I think they will officially get rid or Mormon.org. Also, the Choir’s name will be changed to The Tabernacle Choir www.tabernaclechior.org. The site states it is currently under maintenance. I think these 2 items are really common knowledge at this point so not much of a prediction. I think the biggest push will be to get us to live more as the Savior lived. Presidents Nelson said the follow in Seattle a few weeks ago:
 “As a church, “we need to be doing what the Savior wishes us to do. And as a people we need to be looking and acting like true followers of Jesus Christ.”

 “Have you ever wondered why the institution of the church is necessary”
 “Why aren’t good deeds alone adequate in the eyes of the Lord? Why was the church restored in these latter days?”
With no Priesthood session this time and having the General Women’s Session on Saturday I think that the Sisters may take the lead on this push to help us live as the Savior does. Also, lots of ministering talks and changing the way we function so we can become more like the Savior.
Probably more emphasis on temple work, I know this is always talked about, but with President Nelsons recent face to face with the youth I think there will be a bigger push to Gather Israel. With that being said, I don’t see any of Bill’s predictions helping me to live as the Savior.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Nacho2dope said:

I don’t put a lot of stock into what Bill says. I think someone else commented he is just trying to stay relevant for as long as he can.
So here is what I think that we are going to hear, some more on calling ourselves members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and no longer using the term Mormon. I know now if you go to www.become.org  it takes you to Mormon.org so I think they will officially get rid or Mormon.org. Also, the Choir’s name will be changed to The Tabernacle Choir www.tabernaclechior.org. The site states it is currently under maintenance. I think these 2 items are really common knowledge at this point so not much of a prediction. I think the biggest push will be to get us to live more as the Savior lived. Presidents Nelson said the follow in Seattle a few weeks ago:
 “As a church, “we need to be doing what the Savior wishes us to do. And as a people we need to be looking and acting like true followers of Jesus Christ.”

 “Have you ever wondered why the institution of the church is necessary”
 “Why aren’t good deeds alone adequate in the eyes of the Lord? Why was the church restored in these latter days?”
With no Priesthood session this time and having the General Women’s Session on Saturday I think that the Sisters may take the lead on this push to help us live as the Savior does. Also, lots of ministering talks and changing the way we function so we can become more like the Savior.
Probably more emphasis on temple work, I know this is always talked about, but with President Nelsons recent face to face with the youth I think there will be a bigger push to Gather Israel. With that being said, I don’t see any of Bill’s predictions helping me to live as the Savior.

 

That's true, did any of the actual changes Bill Reel speculate about? His "mole" seems to have either mislead him or is not really in the know!

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, bluebell said:

So here's something new that I just heard in a mommy group on Facebook, that a bunch of missionaries are opening their mission calls and all it says is that where they are going will be announced during GC.  One of the women saying it's true says that this was what her nephew's mission call said.

That.  seems.  weird.

I have heard this also, but its never first person its always a distant family member. I don't know. I would be cool if it had something to do with missionary work in Russia since they have a temple coming in. 

Share this post


Link to post

There's a SL Trib article about girls passing the sacrament and Eric Hawkins apparently said “It is appropriate for a sister to assist by carrying the sacrament tray into the mother’s lounge,”

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Duncan said:

There's a SL Trib article about girls passing the sacrament and Eric Hawkins apparently said “It is appropriate for a sister to assist by carrying the sacrament tray into the mother’s lounge,”

That would be nice. I've missed out on the sacrament so many times by being in the mother's lounge.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, bluebell said:

That would be nice. I've missed out on the sacrament so many times by being in the mother's lounge.

It would be interesting! I don't know if it's a gag article or what

Share this post


Link to post

I do strongly believe we are entering into a preparatory period for further revelation. As one friend put it, we may very well be on the cusp of Moses going back up the mountain. While I do believe there may be some streamlining around policies, facilitating worship, I also believe there will be directions that will be hard for members to receive.

Things I consider to be possibilities, perhaps not at this conference, but sometime in the future:

1. Dissolving overlay wards.

2. Elevate the position of Elders Quorum President and Relief Society Presidents to be somewhat co-equal with the Bishop in conducting  temple recommend interviews, and setting people apart. Yes, even Relief Society presidents setting people apart.

3. Increased adherence to the Word of Wisdom, including provisions regarding the eating of meat.

4. Increased adherence to the law of the fast.

5. Changing the temple recommend question regarding affiliation with groups whose teachings run contrary to those of the church, to belief in teachings which run contrary to those of the church.

5a. That may affect progressive members with a belief in same-sex marriage, as well as members whose stances don't align with Church immigration policy.

6. Bishops will take over the interviewing of perspective converts.

I also believe there will come a day, perhaps not to far off, where the Lord commands his people to live particularly hard commandments, and take particularly controversial stances. I would also not be surprised if the leaders of the Church are commanded to begin living these before the general memberships, perhaps in a way which will try both the leaders and the members if/when they become public. That's all I'll say on that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, halconero said:

Dissolving overlay wards.

What's an overlay ward?

 

12 minutes ago, halconero said:

Elevate the position of Elders Quorum President and Relief Society Presidents to be somewhat co-equal with the Bishop in conducting  temple recommend interviews, and setting people apart. Yes, even Relief Society presidents setting people apart.

This would save our bishopric like maybe 30 minutes a month.

 

12 minutes ago, halconero said:

Increased adherence to the Word of Wisdom, including provisions regarding the eating of meat.

Subjective.

 

12 minutes ago, halconero said:

Increased adherence to the law of the fast.

I would like to see an increased emphasis on this.

 

12 minutes ago, halconero said:

Changing the temple recommend question regarding affiliation with groups whose teachings run contrary to those of the church, to belief in teachings which run contrary to those of the church.

That can be very subjective as well.

 

12 minutes ago, halconero said:

Bishops will take over the interviewing of perspective converts.

Those keys are currently held by the mission president

Edited by ksfisher

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, bluebell said:

So here's something new that I just heard in a mommy group on Facebook, that a bunch of missionaries are opening their mission calls and all it says is that where they are going will be announced during GC.  One of the women saying it's true says that this was what her nephew's mission call said.

That.  seems.  weird.

Sounds like we need to star packing the handcarts for the trip back to Missouri...

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, ksfisher said:

What's an overlay ward?

Wards that overlay other wards. Examples include YSA ward.

This would save our bishopric like maybe 30 minutes a month.

It would save mine about 8 hours. I don't see the value being so much with regards to time as leadership and development.

Subjective.

Agreed. The Lord can make it less subjective, however, as He has done in the past.

I would like to see an increases emphasis on this.

Me too.

That can be very subjective as well.

Agreed. The Lord and the Church can make it less subjective, however, as He has done in the past. The questions was originally created to discourage affiliation with polygamist groups. The Church could absolutely give a list of standard policies and doctrines which members must believe to attend the Temple.

Those keys are currently held by the mission president

Agreed. The Lord can change who holds those keys.

Side note on keys. I'm convinced the common understanding among members of priesthood keys is wrong. I think this will be corrected with time. I say that while still fully believing in the Church's doctrines regarding who holds priesthood keys, as well as the authority of the Lord to delegate authority via the First Presidency and the Twelve as He and they see fit.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, bluebell said:

I hate it.  And I hate being asked to get into groups during lessons.  But, it's a good way to use up some time and have been known to do it myself so I can't complain to much.  :D 

AND if you want to blow even more time, before the "reports" part, make everyone go up to the board and write "one word" that sums up the discussion and THEN have them tell how that word relates to the discussion in the summary.  Now we  are talking a serious waste of time.  :)  Make them all come  up at once  though  so that there is a lot  of shuffling and discussion about  what word  to write, and then the return to their seats is good for even a few more minutes....

No preparation whatsoever necessary.  :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Rain said:

Small groups can be really effective when done well.  The problem only comes when not done well or used too often. But that's the case with any teaching method.  

Unless I've missed something, you are the only one on the thread who has had anything positive to say about it. Just wondering how an approach that is (apparently) so widely and fervently hated can be "really effective."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Duncan said:

There's a SL Trib article about girls passing the sacrament and Eric Hawkins apparently said “It is appropriate for a sister to assist by carrying the sacrament tray into the mother’s lounge,”

 

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

That would be nice. I've missed out on the sacrament so many times by being in the mother's lounge.

I don't see anything too awfully revolutionary about this, considering that the sacrament tray is routinely passed from person to person on a row in the chapel to facilitate the passing of the sacrament. Not a whole lot of difference between that and asking a sister to carry the tray to those sitting in the mother's lounge.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I don't see anything too awfully revolutionary about this, considering that the sacrament tray is routinely passed from person to person on a row in the chapel to facilitate the passing of the sacrament. Not a whole lot of difference between that and asking a sister to carry the tray to those sitting in the mother's lounge.

Then it wouldn't be all that revolutionary to have women pass the sacrament instead of deacons, or with the deacons since handing the tray isn't really a priesthood function. Is there any place in scripture that states passing the sacrament is part of a deacon's duty? Or how about preparing the sacrament table? Women could just as easily do that, and once were very involved in that. The only Priesthood duty associated with the sacrament is the actual blessing of the sacrament. The rest is policy/practice, not doctrine.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Then it wouldn't be all that revolutionary to have women pass the sacrament instead of deacons, or with the deacons since handing the tray isn't really a priesthood function. Is there any place in scripture that states passing the sacrament is part of a deacon's duty? Or how about preparing the sacrament table? Women could just as easily do that, and once were very involved in that. The only Priesthood duty associated with the sacrament is the actual blessing of the sacrament. The rest is policy/practice, not doctrine.

I see a difference. If you don't, I suppose we'll have to disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Rain said:

Years ago carrots used to be a thing, not so much anymore. Earlier than that there were a lot of recipes in magazines for different veggie/gelatin salads. 

In the US, if you have a mix of fruit and/veggies then you have a "salad" though if it is all fruit it is usually called a "fruit salad". I think there are varying degrees of salad to dessert. 

Snickers Salad should definitely be a dessert.

Snicker's Salad, my favorite! Funny though, that it looks similar to potato salad and many skip right over it at potlucks!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×