Seriously No Politics ×

Preparing for Conference

I think I understand the purpose and value of listening to GC with preconceived questions and seeking answers. However, I also think there is value is listening with an open mind and with a willingness to hear and follow. 

Too often we are fooled by the things that we don't know that we don't know. Those things that are in our blind spot. Listening with an openness to hear God's word and receive his guidance may bear a great deal more fruit. However, I think this is quibbling when the most important answer is to just listen to conference. 

I have mixed feelings on preparing. Well, not preparing, but preparing anymore than I would for any church meeting. Yes, our prophet will be speaking, but the Holy Ghost can, and maybe should, inspire us just as much in sacrament meeting as in general conference.

So what would I prepare for more than sacrament meeting? Maybe changes that will happen? Maybe I need to prepare to stay focused for the whole for the 10 hours instead of 3?

At the same time I still have an urge to prepare more than regular church. I'm just kind of at a loss this time how I should go about it. 

23 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

Do you guys go seeking answers to questions?

Absolutely. Including questions of things I dont undertand and woudl like to

I believe we're encouraged to do so.

Direction and revelation are great but if you have no goals, direction, or at least thoughts of where you might want to end up, General COnference woudl be more like: That's nice; doesn't really apply to me since I'm good where I'm at and am no seeking much of anything, in any part of my life.

Today at Church was strange. The last few weeks the Spirit has been strong and over whelming. I feel like great change is coming and I don't know whether it's good or bad, whether it just affects my family or community whether it's the Church as well.

needless to say I've been thinking a lot about conference. I need wisdom and understanding. I feel as though big change is coming and I find myself praying that my heart will be softened so I can accept it.

so far I find myself praying to learn how to get more frequent revelation and receive priesthood power

2 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

Today at Church was strange. The last few weeks the Spirit has been strong and over whelming. I feel like great change is coming and I don't know whether it's good or bad, whether it just affects my family or community whether it's the Church as well.

needless to say I've been thinking a lot about conference. I need wisdom and understanding. I feel as though big change is coming and I find myself praying that my heart will be softened so I can accept it.

so far I find myself praying to learn how to get more frequent revelation and receive priesthood power

My ward was spiritually afire in a way I have not seen in a while. At least among many of the members. In Sunday School I felt the Holy Ghost to a rare intensity as I taught and I could tell based on the brilliantly insightful comments that I was not the only one.

Surprise broadcast from Adam-ondi-Ahman? ;) 

10 hours ago, The Nehor said:

My ward was spiritually afire in a way I have not seen in a while. At least among many of the members. In Sunday School I felt the Holy Ghost to a rare intensity as I taught and I could tell based on the brilliantly insightful comments that I was not the only one.

Surprise broadcast from Adam-ondi-Ahman? ;) 

Yesterday was the first time I’ve been to Sunday school in a while (been teaching primary). We were discussing Isaiah. I’ve read those verses dozens of times but yesterday they came alive. I don’t know how to explain it. I started studying Isaiah again this morning because of it.

For what it's worth, this week I finally figured out how to download talks from last conference, so I've been downloading one each morning and listening to it on my commute to work. I know heaps of people do this (podcasts and all that). It's not bad, but I honestly only hear about 1/10 of what's being said.

6 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

For what it's worth, this week I finally figured out how to download talks from last conference, so I've been downloading one each morning and listening to it on my commute to work. I know heaps of people do this (podcasts and all that). It's not bad, but I honestly only hear about 1/10 of what's being said.

My husband does it. He figures that even if he doesn't hear it all it is better than many things he could be listening to. Over the years he has developed quite a memory for what has been said because of this practice.

On 10/1/2018 at 9:47 AM, Avatar4321 said:

Yesterday was the first time I’ve been to Sunday school in a while (been teaching primary). We were discussing Isaiah. I’ve read those verses dozens of times but yesterday they came alive. I don’t know how to explain it. I started studying Isaiah again this morning because of it.

This is interesting. I had a prompting this week that it was time for me to understand Isaiah - i had this feeling of it coming alive as well. 

I was also prompted to study revelation, which opened my eyes to some new things. 

7 minutes ago, Rain said:

My husband does it. He figures that even if he doesn't hear it all it is better than many things he could be listening to. Over the years he has developed quite a memory for what has been said because of this practice.

I listen to them at the gym. So when i am surrounded by bad language, terrible music and immodesty, i have found great strength and even have been uplifted while working out. 

20 minutes ago, Rain said:

Hmm, maybe if I listen to them over and over again? I don't really see myself doing that. I only ever listen to anything when I'm travelling alone, and my usual is hymns. I think I've been getting more out of them, but I'm happy to continue the experiment a bit longer.

2 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Hmm, maybe if I listen to them over and over again? I don't really see myself doing that. I only ever listen to anything when I'm travelling alone, and my usual is hymns. I think I've been getting more out of them, but I'm happy to continue the experiment a bit longer.

In all his travel to and from work he is alone. He doesn't always listen to them all again, but there a number he will listen to again and again as he feels like listening to them. Sometimes several times in a row when giving a lesson or talk. Sometimes every couple of weeks. It varies.

I wouldn't be surprised though if he sometimes listens to them on the plane or on a layover the few times a year he travels. 

It isn't for everyone. It doesn't work well for me, but I love what it does for him.

20 minutes ago, Rain said:

In all his travel to and from work he is alone. He doesn't always listen to them all again, but there a number he will listen to again and again as he feels like listening to them. Sometimes several times in a row when giving a lesson or talk. Sometimes every couple of weeks. It varies.

I wouldn't be surprised though if he sometimes listens to them on the plane or on a layover the few times a year he travels. 

It isn't for everyone. It doesn't work well for me, but I love what it does for him.

It would be too likely to mellow me out too much. Need to keep alert. Listening to talk shows that have new info is okay, but conference talks put me in a different brain zone. 

Edited by Calm
13 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Yeah, I love how we get to figure out what works for us. Right now (cos it often changes for me).

Me, as well, and it changes with children too. Over the years we have changed how we did family scriptures from time to time because of what they needed. For awhile, after much prayer over 1 child who likes music, I played classical music about 15 minutes before we called them to scriptures, just loud enough to hear it while waking. After awhile we needed to change that and go with something else. We've changed reading times,  what we are reading,  how we are studying, where we gather etc. When it stops being effective we start looking at what needs to change and why.