Jump to content
Avatar4321

Preparing for Conference

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

Do you guys go seeking answers to questions?

I know this has become trendy, but what sorts of questions?

Share this post


Link to post

With all the rumors and speculations I might just pop some popcorn.

Share this post


Link to post

I think I understand the purpose and value of listening to GC with preconceived questions and seeking answers. However, I also think there is value is listening with an open mind and with a willingness to hear and follow. 

Too often we are fooled by the things that we don't know that we don't know. Those things that are in our blind spot. Listening with an openness to hear God's word and receive his guidance may bear a great deal more fruit. However, I think this is quibbling when the most important answer is to just listen to conference. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've never prepared for conference.  I just go in hoping for some good talks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I have mixed feelings on preparing. Well, not preparing, but preparing anymore than I would for any church meeting. Yes, our prophet will be speaking, but the Holy Ghost can, and maybe should, inspire us just as much in sacrament meeting as in general conference.

So what would I prepare for more than sacrament meeting? Maybe changes that will happen? Maybe I need to prepare to stay focused for the whole for the 10 hours instead of 3?

At the same time I still have an urge to prepare more than regular church. I'm just kind of at a loss this time how I should go about it. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I am taking the whole next week off of work to prepare.

Well, I actually just had extra time off and wanted a staycation to catch up on reading and some projects.

I am asking God to feed me some extra hope in this next conference. I will see how it goes.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

I know this has become trendy, but what sorts of questions?

I don't know. We always seem told to go seeking answers to questions. Just curious if people did that

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

Do you guys go seeking answers to questions?

 

Absolutely. Including questions of things I dont undertand and woudl like to

I believe we're encouraged to do so.

Direction and revelation are great but if you have no goals, direction, or at least thoughts of where you might want to end up, General COnference woudl be more like: That's nice; doesn't really apply to me since I'm good where I'm at and am no seeking much of anything, in any part of my life.

Share this post


Link to post

Today at Church was strange. The last few weeks the Spirit has been strong and over whelming. I feel like great change is coming and I don't know whether it's good or bad, whether it just affects my family or community whether it's the Church as well.

needless to say I've been thinking a lot about conference. I need wisdom and understanding. I feel as though big change is coming and I find myself praying that my heart will be softened so I can accept it.

so far I find myself praying to learn how to get more frequent revelation and receive priesthood power

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

Today at Church was strange. The last few weeks the Spirit has been strong and over whelming. I feel like great change is coming and I don't know whether it's good or bad, whether it just affects my family or community whether it's the Church as well.

needless to say I've been thinking a lot about conference. I need wisdom and understanding. I feel as though big change is coming and I find myself praying that my heart will be softened so I can accept it.

so far I find myself praying to learn how to get more frequent revelation and receive priesthood power

My ward was spiritually afire in a way I have not seen in a while. At least among many of the members. In Sunday School I felt the Holy Ghost to a rare intensity as I taught and I could tell based on the brilliantly insightful comments that I was not the only one.

Surprise broadcast from Adam-ondi-Ahman? ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, The Nehor said:

My ward was spiritually afire in a way I have not seen in a while. At least among many of the members. In Sunday School I felt the Holy Ghost to a rare intensity as I taught and I could tell based on the brilliantly insightful comments that I was not the only one.

Surprise broadcast from Adam-ondi-Ahman? ;) 

Yesterday was the first time I’ve been to Sunday school in a while (been teaching primary). We were discussing Isaiah. I’ve read those verses dozens of times but yesterday they came alive. I don’t know how to explain it. I started studying Isaiah again this morning because of it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

For what it's worth, this week I finally figured out how to download talks from last conference, so I've been downloading one each morning and listening to it on my commute to work. I know heaps of people do this (podcasts and all that). It's not bad, but I honestly only hear about 1/10 of what's being said.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

For what it's worth, this week I finally figured out how to download talks from last conference, so I've been downloading one each morning and listening to it on my commute to work. I know heaps of people do this (podcasts and all that). It's not bad, but I honestly only hear about 1/10 of what's being said.

My husband does it. He figures that even if he doesn't hear it all it is better than many things he could be listening to. Over the years he has developed quite a memory for what has been said because of this practice.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/1/2018 at 9:47 AM, Avatar4321 said:

Yesterday was the first time I’ve been to Sunday school in a while (been teaching primary). We were discussing Isaiah. I’ve read those verses dozens of times but yesterday they came alive. I don’t know how to explain it. I started studying Isaiah again this morning because of it.

This is interesting. I had a prompting this week that it was time for me to understand Isaiah - i had this feeling of it coming alive as well. 

I was also prompted to study revelation, which opened my eyes to some new things. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Rain said:

My husband does it. He figures that even if he doesn't hear it all it is better than many things he could be listening to. Over the years he has developed quite a memory for what has been said because of this practice.

I listen to them at the gym. So when i am surrounded by bad language, terrible music and immodesty, i have found great strength and even have been uplifted while working out. 

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Rain said:

My husband does it. He figures that even if he doesn't hear it all it is better than many things he could be listening to. Over the years he has developed quite a memory for what has been said because of this practice.

Hmm, maybe if I listen to them over and over again? I don't really see myself doing that. I only ever listen to anything when I'm travelling alone, and my usual is hymns. I think I've been getting more out of them, but I'm happy to continue the experiment a bit longer.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Hmm, maybe if I listen to them over and over again? I don't really see myself doing that. I only ever listen to anything when I'm travelling alone, and my usual is hymns. I think I've been getting more out of them, but I'm happy to continue the experiment a bit longer.

In all his travel to and from work he is alone. He doesn't always listen to them all again, but there a number he will listen to again and again as he feels like listening to them. Sometimes several times in a row when giving a lesson or talk. Sometimes every couple of weeks. It varies.

I wouldn't be surprised though if he sometimes listens to them on the plane or on a layover the few times a year he travels. 

It isn't for everyone. It doesn't work well for me, but I love what it does for him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Rain said:

It isn't for everyone. It doesn't work well for me, but I love what it does for him.

Yeah, I love how we get to figure out what works for us. Right now (cos it often changes for me).

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Rain said:

In all his travel to and from work he is alone. He doesn't always listen to them all again, but there a number he will listen to again and again as he feels like listening to them. Sometimes several times in a row when giving a lesson or talk. Sometimes every couple of weeks. It varies.

I wouldn't be surprised though if he sometimes listens to them on the plane or on a layover the few times a year he travels. 

It isn't for everyone. It doesn't work well for me, but I love what it does for him.

It would be too likely to mellow me out too much. Need to keep alert. Listening to talk shows that have new info is okay, but conference talks put me in a different brain zone. 

Edited by Calm

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Yeah, I love how we get to figure out what works for us. Right now (cos it often changes for me).

Me, as well, and it changes with children too. Over the years we have changed how we did family scriptures from time to time because of what they needed. For awhile, after much prayer over 1 child who likes music, I played classical music about 15 minutes before we called them to scriptures, just loud enough to hear it while waking. After awhile we needed to change that and go with something else. We've changed reading times,  what we are reading,  how we are studying, where we gather etc. When it stops being effective we start looking at what needs to change and why. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Rain said:

When it stops being effective we start looking at what needs to change and why. 

Exactly! :good:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...