Seriously No Politics ×

What is the process for selecting a bishop?

Terran

The stake presidency recommends brethren to be called or released as bishops. Instructions are on the Recommendation for New Bishop form. This form is available electronically in units that use Church record-keeping software. In other units it is available from the assigned administrative office.

When recommending a person to serve as bishop, the stake presidency carefully observes the principles set forth in 1 Timothy 3:2–7. It is not appropriate to solicit recommendations or to conduct surveys among ward members with respect to who might be considered for a call to serve as bishop.

Before a new bishop may be interviewed, called, ordained, or set apart, his recommendation must be approved by the First Presidency. The stake president may extend the calling after he receives written approval from the First Presidency. With this approval, the stake president may also ordain and set apart a bishop after ward members have given a sustaining vote. The approval of the First Presidency is also required before a stake president may release a bishop. The stake president may not assign these responsibilities to a counselor.

If a man who is called as bishop is not a high priest, the stake president ensures that he is ordained a high priest before ordaining him a bishop. If the man was ordained a bishop previously, he needs only to be set apart as bishop of the ward.

After the First Presidency has approved the recommendation of a man to serve as bishop, they authorize a stake president, Area Seventy, or General Authority to ordain him and set him apart.(CHI)

Edited by JAHS
14 minutes ago, JAHS said:

The stake presidency recommends brethren to be called or released as bishops. Instructions are on the Recommendation for New Bishop form. This form is available electronically in units that use Church record-keeping software. In other units it is available from the assigned administrative office.

When recommending a person to serve as bishop, the stake presidency carefully observes the principles set forth in 1 Timothy 3:2–7. It is not appropriate to solicit recommendations or to conduct surveys among ward members with respect to who might be considered for a call to serve as bishop.

Before a new bishop may be interviewed, called, ordained, or set apart, his recommendation must be approved by the First Presidency. The stake president may extend the calling after he receives written approval from the First Presidency. With this approval, the stake president may also ordain and set apart a bishop after ward members have given a sustaining vote. The approval of the First Presidency is also required before a stake president may release a bishop. The stake president may not assign these responsibilities to a counselor.

If a man who is called as bishop is not a high priest, the stake president ensures that he is ordained a high priest before ordaining him a bishop. If the man was ordained a bishop previously, he needs only to be set apart as bishop of the ward.

After the First Presidency has approved the recommendation of a man to serve as bishop, they authorize a stake president, Area Seventy, or General Authority to ordain him and set him apart.(CHI)

Is the candidate interviewed alone or with his wife or both? Is there a hard and fast rule about it?

59 minutes ago, Terran said:

Is the candidate interviewed alone or with his wife or both? Is there a hard and fast rule about it?

No set rules about it. The wife is definitely part of the interview process. The Stake President has the couple come to the church together and after the new Bishop is interviewed, he will call the wife in and talk to her about it along with any kids they might have. Or both the husband and wife will be there together for the whole thing. 

6 hours ago, JAHS said:

his recommendation must be approved by the First Presidency.

How does this actually work? As the Mormon church has grown, wouldn’t there be many many bishops for the first presidency to consider? How much time of theirs does it take up? Or is there a bit of rubberstamping?

1 hour ago, MiserereNobis said:

How does this actually work? As the Mormon church has grown, wouldn’t there be many many bishops for the first presidency to consider? How much time of theirs does it take up? Or is there a bit of rubberstamping?

I am sure they rely heavily on the recommendation of the stake president who will know the person very well and so it probably only takes a few minutes per Bishop for them to consider the recommendation and approve it.
There are about 31000 wards and branches in the world but bishops serve for about 5 years or more so it's not like they have to approve 31000 bishops per year. 

Edited by JAHS
8 hours ago, JAHS said:

I am sure they rely heavily on the recommendation of the stake president who will know the person very well and so it probably only takes a few minutes per Bishop for them to consider the recommendation and approve it.
There are about 31000 wards and branches in the world but bishops serve for about 5 years or more so it's not like they have to approve 31000 bishops per year. 

The math would be about 120 a week so if they divide it among them equally, each could do 40.  It is manageable though at some point if the church was too big there might be a problem.

Edited by carbon dioxide
12 hours ago, MiserereNobis said:

In 1959 when our branch in New Mexico became a ward, two apostles were sent to ordain the bishop.

5 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

In 1959 when our branch in New Mexico became a ward, two apostles were sent to ordain the bishop.

That was a long time ago. Apostles used to also set apart missionaries and patriarchs. All of this has been delegated to stake presidents (as you know). 

20 minutes ago, rongo said:

That was a long time ago. Apostles used to also set apart missionaries and patriarchs. All of this has been delegated to stake presidents (as you know). 

Hey...not so long ago! :) In 1966 we were set apart at the old SLC Mission Home by a group of apostles and assistants to the 12. I was set apart by Franklin Richards.

Edited by Bernard Gui
3 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

Where in NM? I’m down south, in Mesilla, next to Las Cruces. 

I like southern New Mexico. I grew up in Los Alamos. My dad was stationed there as Army support during WW2 and my mom was a civilian employee of the lab. They met and married there. It was my home until I was married.

3 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Hey...not so long ago! :) In 1966 we were set apart at the old SLC Mission Home by a group of apostles and assistants to the 12. I was set apart by Franklin Richards.

In 1971 I was set apart by Elder David B. Haight while I was in the Salt Lake mission home. The reason for this is that a couselor of the Stake presidency had done it before because the Stake President was not available at the time.
However, it was supposed to be done by the Stake president so I had to be set apart again while in the mission home.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:33 PM, JAHS said:

No set rules about it. The wife is definitely part of the interview process. The Stake President has the couple come to the church together and after the new Bishop is interviewed, he will call the wife in and talk to her about it along with any kids they might have. Or both the husband and wife will be there together for the whole thing. 

Does the bishop candidate have a say in who will be called as his counselors?

10 minutes ago, Terran said:

Does the bishop candidate have a say in who will be called as his counselors?

Yes. He proposes counselors (and, if making a change, clerks and a secretary, all of which are called and set apart under the direction of the stake presidency), and the stake president either accepts them or tells him to pick other people. The callings are extended by the stake presidency (usually the stake president himself). 

The first time I was a bishop, the SP counselor didn't like one of my counselor selections. I told him I was sure (and I was), and he reluctantly approved it. He ended up being a fantastic choice, and there couldn't have been anyone better. In that case, I had to "go to bat" for him a bit. The stake presidency has the ultimate say, of course, but they would not seriously consider the bishop's wishes at their own peril. After all, they have to work together for the next five years or so. 

ETA: my dad recently went through this process with his stake president in the Czech Republic. He proposed two counselors for his branch presidency, and they were approved, called, and set apart. One of these is an RM from Mongolia who is a high priest. 

http://gregevelynczechout.blogspot.com/

Edited by rongo
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:53 PM, JAHS said:

How does a stake presidency usually go about finding candidates? Since it's not appropriate to ask members, do stake presidencies ask for recommendations from the current bishop or bishopric?

Edited by Terran
31 minutes ago, Terran said:

How does a stake presidency usually go about finding candidates? Since it's not appropriate to ask members, do stake presidencies ask for recommendations from the current bishop or bishopric?

That is usually how it is done, but the Stake president also pretty well knows most of the active Melchizedek priesthood members of the ward and might also have an idea of who to choose along with who the current Bishop might recommend.

I used to home teach a ex stake president and currently the stake patriarch.

i asked how a stake president and high councilor and a bishop was selected.

he told me that everyone does it a bit different but when he was being called as the stake he was currently serving as a high councilor,

he was asked to write down three names of who he thought would make a good stake president and to write down one name that he thought was not a good choice.

then when he was looking for a new bishop or high councilor he would attend the ward and look around for inspiration and also ask his counselor to do the same then they would see if they got the same inspiration.

all thing must be done in full support.

2 hours ago, rongo said:

Yes. He proposes counselors (and, if making a change, clerks and a secretary, all of which are called and set apart under the direction of the stake presidency), and the stake president either accepts them or tells him to pick other people. The callings are extended by the stake presidency (usually the stake president himself). 

The first time I was a bishop, the SP counselor didn't like one of my counselor selections. I told him I was sure (and I was), and he reluctantly approved it. He ended up being a fantastic choice, and there couldn't have been anyone better. In that case, I had to "go to bat" for him a bit. The stake presidency has the ultimate say, of course, but they would not seriously consider the bishop's wishes at their own peril. After all, they have to work together for the next five years or so. 

ETA: my dad recently went through this process with his stake president in the Czech Republic. He proposed two counselors for his branch presidency, and they were approved, called, and set apart. One of these is an RM from Mongolia who is a high priest. 

http://gregevelynczechout.blogspot.com/

I had a different problem. My counselors were always approved, but then "stolen" by the stake within 6-9 months. Without fail. My ward provided an unusually high percentage of the stake HC and Auxiliary presidencies. I liked it at first, but after a while it becomes very challenging to build momentum and keep processes and programs running smoothly with such regular turnover.

On 9/29/2018 at 11:47 AM, Bernard Gui said:

That was back in the day when an apostle presided over each stake conference -- and there were two Sunday sessions.  Primary was held during the week.

Some ward buildings  had a "temple room" where a prayer circle could be held.

Way back earlier, I understand there were two "bishops", one of whom presided over the Aaronic phd.

Edited by cdowis
3 hours ago, HappyJackWagon said:

I had a different problem. My counselors were always approved, but then "stolen" by the stake within 6-9 months. Without fail. My ward provided an unusually high percentage of the stake HC and Auxiliary presidencies. I liked it at first, but after a while it becomes very challenging to build momentum and keep processes and programs running smoothly with such regular turnover.

Yuck! It's trendy now for counselors to routinely be repurposed. In the two bishoprics I was a counselor, and the two bishoprics I was a bishop, we were the only ones in the stake to remain intact throughout our term. The rest were cannibalized for the high council, as you mentioned, or sometimes strategically released to be Scoutmasters or whatever. I'm old-school, and saw being a counselor as being a same tour of duty as the bishop --- a package deal. The stake tried in my most recent one to take my 2nd counselor for the high council, and I refused (I did not give my blessing, and asked the stake president to please not. I told him it would make things that much harder, since both of my counselors were great, and we were already having issues from the stake not calling elders quorum presidencies in a timely manner). 

4 hours ago, Terran said:

Almost always, as well as getting suggestions from the counselors and the high council.