Seriously No Politics ×

And we thought the Church had it hard . . .

rongo

9 minutes ago, rongo said:

. . . with the name rebrand attempt (Mormon/Mormonism/style guide):

https://www.businessinsider.com/dunkin-drops-donuts-but-invented-word-2018-9

Dunkin' Donuts is dropping "donuts" from its name --- although it invented the word. 

That's going to be a tough one to get people to go along with. Reportedly, focus groups panned this, but executives went with it, anyway. 

Are they trying to distance themselves from unhealthy donuts? ... but then they still serve donuts so....

1 hour ago, rongo said:

Dunkin' Donuts is dropping "donuts" from its name --- although it invented the word. 

That's going to be a tough one to get people to go along with. Reportedly, focus groups panned this, but executives went with it, anyway. 

O'tay. 

That makes at least two who have used that - the Little Rascal and myself. Now, I expect shortly it will be in Webster's. ;) 

2 hours ago, rongo said:

That's going to be a tough one to get people to go along with.

Meh. The problem I have with Dunkin' Donuts isn't the name - it's that their donuts are so incredibly lousy.

I mean, they're barely a step up from those dried out, powdered sugar coated briquettes you find sold in vending machines. /bleh

I honestly can't see how they manage to stay in business when every single bakery, grocery store, and hole-in-the-wall doughnut shop/nail salon in the entire country is capable of making a better product.

I have to assume their consumer base is largely driven by the nostalgia people have held over from eating there in their youth (back when they didn't know any better). 

You know, sort of like those people who insist on pretending that In And Out Burger is actually a good burger joint. :P

2 hours ago, Duncan said:

mormon.org changed to this

https://become.org/ 

I'm not sure if this is real. I looked up the domain and it's registered through WHOISGuard Inc, a company that keeps domain registration information private. Mormon.org and lds.org are registered by Intellectual Reserve, Inc. Also the name of the website (up in the tab) is spelled incorrectly. It says "Latter Day Saints" instead of "Latter-day Saints." No idea why someone would bother setting up a fake version of mormon.org though.

Edited by mapman
13 minutes ago, mapman said:

I'm not sure if this is real. I looked up the domain and it's registered through WHOISGuard Inc, a company that keeps domain registration information private. Mormon.org and lds.org are registered by Intellectual Reserve, Inc. Also the name of the website (up in the tab) is spelled incorrectly. It says "Latter Day Saints" instead of "Latter-day Saints." No idea why someone would bother setting up a fake version of mormon.org though.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, now that's interesting! hahahahah!

3 hours ago, mapman said:

It's got to be an anti-Mormon conspiracy  ☺️

6 hours ago, mapman said:

It's a fraud.  Check out the SSL certificate (click on the padlock icon in your browser and view details).  It's not registered to to the church and is a wildcard cert for lots of other sites that are not owned by the church.

13 hours ago, rongo said:

At least they're not trying to change the name to The Restaurant of Dunkin Donuts of Latter-day Donut Holes.

2 hours ago, gopher said:

It's a fraud.  Check out the SSL certificate (click on the padlock icon in your browser and view details).  It's not registered to to the church and is a wildcard cert for lots of other sites that are not owned by the church.

Hmm.  I wonder if it's legit.  The "chat" feature works.  I logged on and chatted with two sister missionaries.  Nothing untoward or suspicious in their behavior.  I asked them about "become.org," and they said this:

That's a really good question. So, not too long ago, our prophet, President Russell M. Nelson, told us that we're no longer going by our nicknames, "Mormons." 

With this correction, we're also changing old sites, like mormon.org, to become.org and becomelikehim.org

The domain becomelikehim.org was created on July 3, 2018.  become.org was created on February 14, 2004.

Meanwhile, the following coding presently appears at the bottom of become.org:

(function () { if (!window.customGTMHandlersAdded) { window.customGTMHandlersAdded = true; var transactionIdAvailable = function () { return !!(DDO && DDO.referralServiceData && DDO.referralServiceData.transactionId); } // wrapper to make sure the dataLayer object exists and it has the property push var pushOnDataLayer = function (obj) { // if (obj.hasOwnProperty('layer') && obj.layer === 'ga') { // // google analytics // if (typeof ga !== 'undefined') { // ga('send', 'event', obj.event_category, obj.event_action, obj.event_label); // } // } else { // old-style dataLayer if (typeof dataLayer !== 'undefined' && dataLayer.hasOwnProperty('push')) { dataLayer.push(obj); } // } } var wireOldForm = function (frm) { var timeoutId = false; var msLeft = 30000; var checkForSuccess = function () { clearTimeout(timeoutId); if (frm.getAttribute('style') && frm.getAttribute('style').indexOf('display: none') > -1) { // found success, go ahead and log it if (frm.id === 'peopleSearch' || frm.id === 'people-find-form') { pushOnDataLayer({ event: 'customOnpageEvent', event_category: 'request', event_action: 'people search', event_label: '' }); } else if (frm.name === 'missionary_referral_form') { pushOnDataLayer({ event: 'customOnpageEvent', event_category: 'request', event_action: 'missionary', event_label: 'direct' }); } else if (frm.name === 'scripture_form' || frm.name === 'free-book-of-mormon') { // which scripture? var offerInput = frm.querySelector('input[name=offer_code]'); if (offerInput) { if (offerInput.value == 1) { // bible pushOnDataLayer({ event: 'customOnpageEvent', event_category: 'request', event_action: 'bible', event_label: '' }); } else { // otherwise BOM pushOnDataLayer({ event: 'customOnpageEvent', event_category: 'request', event_action: 'book of mormon', event_label: '' }); } } } } else { // nothing yet, wait a little longer msLeft -= 100; if (msLeft > 0) { timeoutId = setTimeout(checkForSuccess, 100); } } } frm.addEventListener('submit', function (e) { // wait for 15 seconds to see if the form gets hidden, and if it does, // then it is a successful submittal clearTimeout(timeoutId); msLeft = 30000; checkForSuccess(); }); } var wirePeopleSearch = function (frm) { var formSubmitted = function (e) { pushOnDataLayer({ event: 'customOnpageEvent', event_category: 'search', event_action: 'people search', event_label: '' }); } frm.addEventListener('submit', formSubmitted); } var wireNewSearch = function (frm, type) { var formSubmitted = function (e) { var value = frm.querySelector('input').value; pushOnDataLayer({ event: 'customOnpageEvent', event_category: 'search', event_action: 'internal search', event_label: value, // layer: type === 'ga' ? 'ga' : 'standard' }); } frm.addEventListener('submit', formSubmitted); // also have to capture the search button var searchBtn = frm.querySelector('.site-search__icon'); if (searchBtn) { searchBtn.addEventListener('click', formSubmitted); } } var wireOldSearch = function (frm) { var formSubmitted = function (e) { var value = frm.querySelector('input[type=text]').value; pushOnDataLayer({ event: 'customOnpageEvent', event_category: 'search', event_action: 'internal search', event_label: value }); } frm.addEventListener('submit', formSubmitted); } // looks for a related chat button that is within the same // data-component-type="form" for ver. 3 forms var wireRelatedChat = function (frm) { var formGroup = false; // check to see if this is a 'secondary' type form as pulled from the // 'hannah' CMS form builder if (frm.classList.contains('form-builder_secondaryForm')) { formGroup = frm; } else { var nextParent = frm.parentNode; while (nextParent.tagName !== 'BODY') { if (nextParent.getAttribute('data-component-type') === 'form') { // found the form group to look inside formGroup = nextParent; break; } nextParent = nextParent.parentNode; } } if (formGroup) { var chatBtn = formGroup.querySelector('button[data-type=button]'); if (chatBtn) { chatBtn.addEventListener('click', function (e) { pushOnDataLayer({ event: 'customOnpageEvent', event_category: 'chat', event_action: 'chat engaged', event_label: document.URL, // layer: 'standard' }); }); } } } // this deals with all forms that aren't of the older version // I call them version 2 and 3 forms. In the case of ver. 3 // forms I also wire up a related chat button that is inside // the same div. var wireCTAForm = function (frm) { var timeoutId = false; var msLeft = 30000; // assume chat as they are the most common CTA form var data = { event: 'customOnpageEvent', event_category: 'chat', event_action: 'chat engaged', event_label: document.URL, // layer: 'standard' }; if (frm.hasAttribute('data-rcf')) { // missionary data.event_category = 'request'; data.event_action = 'missionary'; data.event_label = 'direct'; } else if (frm.hasAttribute('data-locate-form')) { // locator data.event_category = 'request'; data.event_action = 'meetinghouse locator'; data.event_label = ''; } else { // this could either be a BOM/bible form or a newsletter sign up var listInput = frm.querySelector('input[name=listId]'); if (listInput) { data.event_category = 'request'; data.event_action = 'newsletter subscription'; data.event_label = ''; } else { // see if this is the latest form type var formType = frm.querySelector('input[name=formType]'); if (formType) { // yup, new one, see what kind var offerType = frm.querySelector('input[name=offerType]'); if (offerType) { if (offerType.value === 'bible') { // data.layer = 'ga'; data.event_category = 'request'; data.event_action = 'bible'; } else if (offerType.value === 'bookOfMormon') { // data.layer = 'ga'; data.event_category = 'request'; data.event_action = 'book of mormon'; } else if (offerType.value === 'bibleStudy') { // data.layer = 'ga'; data.event_category = 'request'; data.event_action = 'bible study'; // there are two different forms for bible study, see if // this is the one that allows selection of location var locSelection = frm.querySelectorAll('input[name="How would you like to study"]'); if (locSelection.length > 0) { // the trick here now is that we have to watch these for any // change in value. If they change then the data needs to be // updated for when they submit the form for (var x=0; x < locSelection.length; x++) { locSelection[x].addEventListener('change', function(e) { data.event_label = this.value; if (this.value === "In-home visit (we'll come to you)") { data.event_action = 'bible study in-home'; } else { data.event_action = 'bible study'; } }); } // kick it off by getting the currently selected value data.event_label = frm.querySelector('input[name="How would you like to study"]').value; if (data.event_label === "In-home visit (we'll come to you)") { data.event_action = 'bible study in-home'; } } } // on the new form versions it appears that the chat follow up CTA form isn't // embedded as part of the original form so need to detect that and not // try and wire up the wrong form if (document.querySelector('.form-builder_secondaryForm')) { wireRelatedChat(document.querySelector('.form-builder_secondaryForm')); } else { // regular, just do the usual wireRelatedChat(frm); } } } else { // old 'new' form var offerInput = frm.querySelector('input[name=offer_code]'); if (offerInput) { data.event_category = 'request'; data.event_label = ''; if (offerInput.value == 1) { data.event_action = 'bible'; } else { data.event_action = 'book of mormon'; } } } } } var checkForSuccess = function () { clearTimeout(timeoutId); if (transactionIdAvailable()) { console.log('Transaction ID is available'); pushOnDataLayer(data); } else { // nothing yet, wait a little longer msLeft -= 100; if (msLeft > 0) { timeoutId = setTimeout(checkForSuccess, 100); } } }; frm.addEventListener('submit', function (e) { // wait for 30 seconds to see if the form gets hidden, and if it does, // then it is a successful submittal clearTimeout(timeoutId); msLeft = 30000; checkForSuccess(); }); } var isVer3Form = function (frm) { return frm.querySelector('input[name=formType]') && frm.querySelector('input[name=offerType]'); } var isVer3Search = function (frm) { return frm.querySelector('input[type=search]') && frm.querySelector('input[name=query]'); } // kickoff function to wire up the forms for catching any actions on them. var wireForms = function () { console.log('#### gtm: adding custom handlers #####'); var frms = document.forms; for (var x = 0; x < frms.length; x++) { // determine what type of form it is if (frms[x].classList.contains('missionaries')) { // old form from other language wireOldForm(frms[x]); } else if (frms[x].id === 'people-find-form' || frms[x].id === 'peopleSearch') { // people search form wirePeopleSearch(frms[x]); } else if (frms[x].classList.contains('site-search__form')) { // new search form wireNewSearch(frms[x]); } else if (frms[x].id === 'search_form') { // old search form wireOldSearch(frms[x]); } else if (frms[x].parentNode.classList.contains('search_bar')) { // angular search form, same as old search basically wireOldSearch(frms[x]); } else if (frms[x].classList.contains('form-cta__form') || isVer3Form(frms[x])) { // new cta form wireCTAForm(frms[x]) } else if (isVer3Search(frms[x])) { wireNewSearch(frms[x], 'ga'); } } var referSignInLink = document.querySelector('a[href*="www.lds.org/referrals"]'); if (referSignInLink) { referSignInLink.addEventListener('click', function (e) { pushOnDataLayer({ event: 'customOnpageEvent', event_category: 'request', event_action: 'missionary', event_label: 'friend visit' }); }); } }; if ('readyState' in document && (document.readyState === 'interactive' || document.readyState === 'complete')) { wireForms(); } else { document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', wireForms); } } })(); if (top !== self) { window.addEventListener('message', function (e) { if (e.data === 'blank') { var h = document.querySelector('.page-header__name'); h.innerHTML = ''; } }); window.parent.postMessage(['gtmnamereq'], document.referrer); }

So far I have not seen anything hinky in actual content.  The sister missionaries I chatted with were very nice.  The links all go to other church-related sites and content.  The tab label does have an error in the name of the Church ("Latter Day Saints" rather than "Latter-day Saints"), but that may just be an oversight (along with the above coding stuff).

So it looks like become.org may be legit after all.

Thanks,

-Smac

11 hours ago, Amulek said:

Meh. The problem I have with Dunkin' Donuts isn't the name - it's that their donuts are so incredibly lousy.

I mean, they're barely a step up from those dried out, powdered sugar coated briquettes you find sold in vending machines. /bleh

I honestly can't see how they manage to stay in business when every single bakery, grocery store, and hole-in-the-wall doughnut shop/nail salon in the entire country is capable of making a better product.

I have to assume their consumer base is largely driven by the nostalgia people have held over from eating there in their youth (back when they didn't know any better). 

You know, sort of like those people who insist on pretending that In And Out Burger is actually a good burger joint. :P

I think that Dunkin Donuts is a lot like Starbucks...their product is subpar compared to the competition, but they are everywhere, so the convenience and familiarity boosts their popularity beyond the product alone.

And don't get me started on the In 'n Out debate. Personally, I think it is a good burger joint...not a great burger joint, but when comparing scale, it is one of the better chain burgers. Their customer service, IMO, is what sets them apart from most of the competition.

For my $, the best burger chain is The Habit, and the best coffee chain is Peet's.

Just now, Walden said:

And don't get me started on the In 'n Out debate. Personally, I think it is a good burger joint...not a great burger joint, but when comparing scale, it is one of the better chain burgers. Their customer service, IMO, is what sets them apart from most of the competition.

For my $, the best burger chain is The Habit, and the best coffee chain is Peet's.

I agree with you about In and Out.  Their food is fine and their service is excellent.  But I think the best burger chain by far is Five Guys.  And then I'd vote for JCW.  I would vote for the Habit coming in at number for, being better than Smash Burger.  I don't know why people get so excited about that chain at all.   Maybe it's just a Utah thing.

38 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I agree with you about In and Out.  Their food is fine and their service is excellent.  But I think the best burger chain by far is Five Guys.  And then I'd vote for JCW.  I would vote for the Habit coming in at number for, being better than Smash Burger.  I don't know why people get so excited about that chain at all.   Maybe it's just a Utah thing.

For me it is totally about the sauce. I could skip all the food easily and put it on another burger and be much happier about it.  I suspect with Utah it may be a mind connection with fry sauce.

1 hour ago, Rain said:

For me it is totally about the sauce. I could skip all the food easily and put it on another burger and be much happier about it.  I suspect with Utah it may be a mind connection with fry sauce.

Do you mean the fry sauce at Smashburger?

Edited by bluebell
2 hours ago, bluebell said:

Do you mean the fry sauce at Smashburger?

It "originates" from Arctic Circle - the article shows that it can be found elsewhere as well by different names.  On my other message board where I have been for about 20 years it was once a pretty much unknown thing except for those from Utah.  It has steadily grown to other restaurants, though with different variations.  

17 hours ago, mapman said:

Definitely fishy.

With a change this big there would have been a big splash in PR.

6 hours ago, bluebell said:

Never heard of JCW or Smashburger.

Bob's Big Boy had two layer burgers with thousand island dressing on them in the early 60s. Basically as far as I could tell thousand island dressing is exactly what fry sauce is.

And then of course the Big Mac copied that.

Ketchup mayonnaise and a little relish. No biggie. :)

http://bobs.net/

Edited by mfbukowski