Seriously No Politics ×

PBS - Native America

Coming soon to PBS: Native America

This should be interesting.  I predict both critics and believers in The Book of Mormon will see what they want to see.

Each hour of NATIVE AMERICA explores Great Nations and reveals cities, sacred stories, and history that has long been hidden in plain sight. In America’s Southwest, First People emerge from the earth to build stone skyscrapers with untold spiritual power, and transform deserts to fertile fields. In New York, warriors renounce war and found America’s first democracy five hundred years before the Declaration of Independence – and later inspire a young Benjamin Franklin. On the banks of the Mississippi, rulers raise a metropolis of pyramids from swampland and draw thousands of pilgrims to their new city to worship the sky. And in the American West, nomads transform a weapon of conquest into a new way of life, turning the tables on European Invaders, and building an empire. 

Premieres October 23.

Edited by cinepro
18 minutes ago, cinepro said:

Coming soon to PBS: Native America

This should be interesting.  I predict both critics and believers in The Book of Mormon will see what they want to see.

Premieres October 23.

Thanks for the heads up Cinepro. According to Imdb this is a series of 4 episodes. I will certainly want to at least explore it. My particular interest is in the Hopewell period, and hopefully it will get addressed. Some have referred to the Hopewell as the Romans of N. America. They were definitely the happening culture of N. America at the time, and it would be a shame if this period gets shortshrifted, but I don't think many or any modern native Americans identify with the Hopewell, since they died out, so we'll see. 

26 minutes ago, RevTestament said:

According to Imdb this is a series of 4 episodes. 

Yes, I believe the third episode is dedicated entirely to the Book of Mormon and the amazing knowledge it gives us about the New World history from 600 BC - 400 AD.

28 minutes ago, cinepro said:

Yes, I believe the third episode is dedicated entirely to the Book of Mormon and the amazing knowledge it gives us about the New World history from 600 BC - 400 AD.

Hope you don't bite your tongue. Always a danger of that when it is extended so far into the cheek. 😎

Glenn

2 hours ago, carbon dioxide said:

Not me.  I hold the the Mezoamerican setting BOM so this is out of the target zone.

Maybe not.  It seems to be about all the "Americas."

Emmy-award winning cinematographers bring NATIVE AMERICA to life through filming across two continents - from the Atlantic to the Pacific and from northern Canada to southern Peru.

6 hours ago, cinepro said:

First People emerge from the earth to build stone skyscrapers with untold spiritual power, and transform deserts to fertile fields.

You mean the people who lived here actually built things and planted crops? The Book of Mormon must be true. I'll be back to church on Sunday.

I suspect that the scholars featured on the show are not familiar with the Book of Mormon, so I wouldn't expect them to be making any connections to it. Besides of which the blurb says "challenges everything we thought we knew about the Americas before and since contact with Europe" so by that set up scholars don't even agree with each other on what has been found and what the interpretation is.  I am not going to watch it though i'm watching Secrets of the Dead about that lady in the iron casket

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/woman-in-the-iron-coffin-about-the-film/3923/

💀🙈

Edited by Duncan
22 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I suspect that the scholars featured on the show are not familiar with the Book of Mormon, so I wouldn't expect them to be making any connections to it. Besides of which the blurb says "challenges everything we thought we knew about the Americas before and since contact with Europe" so by that set up scholars don't even agree with each other on what has been found and what the interpretation is.  .....................................

Actually that lack of BofM knowledge is a positive advantage.  We won't have to listen to an anti-Mormon diatribe.  Instead, we will hear the conclusions of the professional anthropologists on what they have found in the Americas that is factual and amazing.  That at least is a step forward.

52 minutes ago, Thinking said:

You mean the people who lived here actually built things and planted crops? The Book of Mormon must be true. I'll be back to church on Sunday.

All kidding aside, Amerinds grew many crops native to the Americas and domesticated by them -- corn (maize), chiles, tomatoes, amaranth, quinoa, barley, etc.  Corn spread throughout the Americas, being carefully cultivated from Mesoamerica to New York.  Hundreds of thousands of Hohokam grew crops in Arizona, and dug vast irrigation ditches fed by the Gila and Salt Rivers -- ditches later used by Mormon pioneers.

On 9/19/2018 at 3:24 PM, cinepro said:

And they will name names.  I understand one of the cities mentioned will start with the letter "Z", not far from the Mississippi River.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, katherine the great said:

Did anyone else watch the first episode of this series? It mostly focused on Chaco Canyon and Teotihuachan.

i did find quite interesting the 1/2 mile cliff face in the Amazon which appears to be an early annual calendar representation of the local sky. I wasn't aware of it, although I did already know people were in the Amazon long ago - so 13,000 YBP was not a surprise. I did learn a little more about Chaco canyon. I didn't know they imported chocolate from Central America. I thought it was the center of a more local culture. It seems that trade at that time was rather far reaching - as demonstrated by the Hopewell culture. I was kind of surprised that nothing was said about the most recent work of the Smithsonian which denotes an even much earlier human presence in the Americas. Perhaps that is too controversial as yet. The next episode promises to be more about the rise of the American nation cultures, which should be more interesting.