lostindc

Sam Young is Excommunicated

4 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I thought that Sam Young was against the church teaching the law of chastity?  Maybe i'm remembering wrong though.

Not that I’m aware of. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I thought that Sam Young was against the church teaching the law of chastity?  Maybe i'm remembering wrong though.

He's not against the church teaching the law of chastity. From what I've seen, he's against the discussion between a LDS PH leader and a child/youth about the things they are doing to break the law of chastity. I guess he feels it can be abusive, for the recipient because the possibility they could be one to groom them, or put things in the mind of the child/youth that could later harm their thinking somehow, shame and guilt. They aren't trained on how to ask or delve into chastity problems or non problems. 

But I need to say, I don't see the harm if a youth or single adult wants to speak to a PH leader about some problems they are dealing with. 

Young said he takes the law of chastity seriously. However, last month he announced that he had come to believe that asking someone if they are living the Biblical law of chastity "is a sex question, period."

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900030038/heres-why-a-former-mormon-bishop-faces-discipline-from-the-church-of-jesus-christ-of-latter-day-saints.html

There are those who believe he wants to dispense with the teaching of the Law of Chastity, but this is as far as I know speculation.

• Like 2

Hello I came here today the discuss the This American Life but maybe as a newbie I can’t start a discussion? I have the attention span of a gnat so I’d better go back and read guidelines.  At any rate, I’m life long member, in my 50s, and I’m a huge fan of TAL .  I was stirred the discover this weeks topic involved my religion, and a delicate aspect of it at that.  

Now that I’ve listened, I’m feeling very raw. 

I need help sorting through my thoughts and feelings.  Maybe if someone else has heard it, they could start a new thread for traffic purposes.  

Ah I see, need 25 posts.  That’s not likely to happen soon.  Hopefully someone will see this. 

8 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Hello I came here today the discuss the This American Life but maybe as a newbie I can’t start a discussion? I have the attention span of a gnat so I’d better go back and read guidelines.  At any rate, I’m life long member, in my 50s, and I’m a huge fan of TAL .  I was stirred the discover this weeks topic involved my religion, and a delicate aspect of it at that.  

Now that I’ve listened, I’m feeling very raw. 

I need help sorting through my thoughts and feelings.  Maybe if someone else has heard it, they could start a new thread for traffic purposes.  

I haven't listened to it yet.  But I'll try to do that soon.  And then join in the discussion.

You are correct that you cannot start a new thread until you have some number of posts under your belt.  I can't remember what that number is.  Hopefully someone will start a thread on the TAL episode, if not, I can after I've listened to it.

10 hours ago, changed said:

I read this.  Sam Young just needs to start his own church as he is not happy how this one is run.  I personally don't want him or anyone else trying to run the church.  I want our leaders who are called through inspiration from the Holy Ghost to be making inspired decisions, not being held hostage to the demands of one individual (now former) member. 

And from what I've read of his comments, I'd say he's not just concerned about obviously inappropriate interviewing, but he also doesn't want the church teaching chastity at all because he seems to think any time morals and standards are discussed, it makes some uncomfortable and this 'harms' them.  There are some who believe that causing people to feel guilt is harmful and the way to remove guilt is to make all behavior accepted.  IMO, Sam Young is one of those.

Also, I thought it interesting that he kept going on about not being allowed to record the hearing, yet no one told him he couldn't record this latest interaction and yet, he didn't take advantage of the opportunity.  I'd rather have heard the interaction between him, his StakeP and his Bishop, rather than trust his version of what was said.

15 minutes ago, alter idem said:

Sam Young just needs to start his own church as he is not happy how this one is run.

Except that his goal (right or wrong) is to protect children in THIS church.

17 minutes ago, alter idem said:

Also, I thought it interesting that he kept going on about not being allowed to record the hearing, yet no one told him he couldn't record this latest interaction and yet, he didn't take advantage of the opportunity.  I'd rather have heard the interaction between him, his StakeP and his Bishop, rather than trust his version of what was said.

It seems that he expected to just be handed a letter from the First Presidency, rather than a verbal response to his appeal.

Also, given his experience with this SP, if he had informed him that he was recording the conversation, the SP might not have been willing to speak to him.  And if Young had recorded the conversation surreptitiously, he likely would have been criticized for that as well.

53 minutes ago, rockpond said:

I haven't listened to it yet.  But I'll try to do that soon.  And then join in .

Hopefully someone will start a thread on the TAL episode, if not, I can after I've listened to it.

Thank you

Sam's later statements did argue against any teaching of chastity, if I recall correctly it was in response to arguments that the new guidelines restricting the question was enough and had solved the problem.   The reasoning was something along the lines that any discussion of sexual standards was and could only be grooming.