Bernard Gui

President Nelson Comes to Seattle and Vancouver

13 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Sister Nelson. 

Take me out the ballgame ringing in her ears and a craving for a hotdog. Never had those feelings in a devotional before. What is it like in the Nelson home? A funeral, Costco shopping, Christmas break, and then a late night call that President Monson had died. Solemn Assembly....felt overwhelming feeling of peace that passed understanding, immersed in peace instead of apprehension for what was coming. Two and four days after Pres Monson’s death, she had profoundly sacred experiences that confirmed that he husband had been called by God. Many times her husband is awakened at night by revelations that he writes in a yellow notepad as he receives them. She is often awakened, but does not look on his notepad. On one occasion she was prompted to leave the bedroom. He received two hours of detailed information of what the course of the Church should be. She has observed obvious changes in his words and behavior as “he becomes more and more of who he really is.” He was foreordained for this time. We are also foreordained to do our work in gathering Israel and serving others. Everything in the Church belongs to the Savior. He needs us to do our part. 

That is a powerful witness

• Like 2

No, the Vancouver one thats today right?

Edited by thatjimguy

33 minutes ago, thatjimguy said:

"On Sunday, September 16, the Vancouver devotional will be held at the Langley Events Centre, in the Vancouver suburb of Langley. Both meetings are scheduled for 6 p.m."

2 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Sometimes I get disgusted with the contention on this board, and consider just stepping away, but then I find threads like this and decide that there is grain in the chaff, so I might as well stay.

Thank you. Been there, done that. Maybe see you when you come to Seattle? We could have a Seattle area mini-convention?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Honors of men pale in comparison with what God has in store for us. Experience on plane from SLC to St George. One engine blew up and caught on fire. As the plane plummeted down, his life flashed through his mind. All the honors he had received meant nothing. What was most important was his eternal relationship with his family. The pilot was able to land safely in a far field. Don’t let things distract you from choosing with your agency to follow the Lord. Thus we prepare for the Second Coming.

He shared this story in one of my favorite Mormon Message's:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thatjimguy said:

Sorry, I had told you that you missed it, I wasn't aware they had another one today, good for you!

14 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

"On Sunday, September 16, the Vancouver devotional will be held at the Langley Events Centre, in the Vancouver suburb of Langley. Both meetings are scheduled for 6 p.m."

13 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Sorry, I had told you that you missed it, I wasn't aware they had another one today, good for you!

Thanks to both of ya. I live in Blaine, Wa right on the border. Missed it yesterday. Got a chance to go (at third base too like Doctrine 612). It was very much needed. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, thatjimguy said:

Thanks to both of ya. I live in Blaine, Wa right on the border. Missed it yesterday. Got a chance to go (at third base too like Doctrine 612). It was very much needed. 

Any notes from the second one?

It was such a wonderful experience singing in the choir! And it was also very comforting during soundcheck to see that there was a bomb sniffing dog checking out the stage. I was told by friends that he was taken into the huge line of people too. Several friends decided not to come because they were scared. Yesterday I joked with a friend, "And should we die at the devotional …… Happy day! All is well!" 

I'm sure this was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. I'm so grateful for it! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MorningStar said:

It was such a wonderful experience singing in the choir! And it was also very comforting during soundcheck to see that there was a bomb sniffing dog checking out the stage. I was told by friends that he was taken into the huge line of people too. Several friends decided not to come because they were scared. Yesterday I joked with a friend, "And should we die at the devotional …… Happy day! All is well!" 

I'm sure this was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. I'm so grateful for it! 

Were there threats of something?

8 minutes ago, rockpond said:

Were there threats of something?

I don't believe so, but people were scared because of things like Las Vegas. If anyone wanted to take out a bunch of Mormons, that would be the place to do it. It holds over twice as many people as the Conference Center. My husband was nervous about snipers while he was standing in line. 

3 minutes ago, MorningStar said:

I don't believe so, but people were scared because of things like Las Vegas. If anyone wanted to take out a bunch of Mormons, that would be the place to do it. It holds over twice as many people as the Conference Center. My husband was nervous about snipers while he was standing in line. 

Ah.  Well, I'm glad that thought hadn't entered my mind at all so I didn't have to worry.  I wasn't there but I had family members on the field, in the bleachers, and on the stand.  Wasn't it mentioned that you were up there in the choir?

1 hour ago, MorningStar said:

Do you know if people came from all over the USA? Or was there that many people in the Washington area? 

3 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Do you know if people came from all over the USA? Or was there that many people in the Washington area? 

I'm sure the majority are local. :) 

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

1 hour ago, MorningStar said:

I'm sure the majority are local. :) 

You had to have a ticket to attend and my understanding is that those tickets were pretty well controlled through a system in the surrounding stakes.  So, I think it was mostly local.

I'd have to say that their ticket process seemed to work well:  Safeco Field has a capacity of just under 48,000.  The reported attendance for the devotional was just over 49,000 (they had people seated on the field).  So, it would seem that did a good job of getting in as many as possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I'm in Oregon and we were instructed not to try to attend. That all tickets had been disbursed, and there would be very little chance of getting tickets in a standby line, but more importantly, to give Washington residents a chance to attend. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rockpond said:

You had to have a ticket to attend and my understanding is that those tickets were pretty well controlled through a system in the surrounding stakes.  So, I think it was mostly local.

I'd have to say that their ticket process seemed to work well:  Safeco Field has a capacity of just under 48,000.  The reported attendance for the devotional was just over 49,000 (they had people seated on the field).  So, it would seem that did a good job of getting in as many as possible.

Yes, I was told there were 2,000 Laurels and Priests sitting on the field. One of my sons got to be there and he really enjoyed it. :) 

11 hours ago, MorningStar said:

... I'm sure this was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. I'm so grateful for it! 

I had one of those in 2014.  B:) :D 

On 9/15/2018 at 8:12 PM, Bernard Gui said:

President Nelson. 

Never spoke in a baseball stadium before. 49,089 people in attendance! Wife is filled with faith. Grateful to President Eyring. A brilliant and devoted man....as is President Oaks. Story of family rafting trip down Colorado River. Going over a cataract, he was catapulted out of the raft because he forgot to hold onto the raft. He was saved. At the last more dangerous cataract, he reminded his family and himself to hold onto the ropes and ride out the rapids in the raft. This is a metaphor for life. Our security and happiness are assured as we hold onto the Iron Rod of the gospel of Jesus Christ. 

The Book of Mormon is the word of God. As Army surgeon in Korean War, he was asked by a nurse why he was different from other surgeons. He said it was because he believed the Book of Mormon is the word of God. He gave her a copy for her and her husband. They casually returned it, but he said he knew they hadn’t read it, so he said keep it and read it. He was able to baptize them and they have brought many into the gospel. The BoM is inspired and reading it daily will fortify us against evil. 

Honors of men pale in comparison with what God has in store for us. Experience on plane from SLC to St George. One engine blew up and caught on fire. As the plane plummeted down, his life flashed through his mind. All the honors he had received meant nothing. What was most important was his eternal relationship with his family. The pilot was able to land safely in a farm field. Don’t let things distract you from choosing with your agency to follow the Lord. Thus we prepare for the Second Coming .

God will help us achieve things we may think are impossible. 1985 Pres Benson instructed him to open the countries of Eastern Europe to missionary work. Seemingly impossible. Many obstacles and tests were given, even to participate in illegal activities. Doors were opened and through great efforts, the results came in miraculous ways. By 1992 the Church was estsblished in every country in Eastern Europe. If you are doing your best to make Jesus the center of your life, he will do his own work and perform miracles in your life  

We are happiest when we think of others. We minister to each other and engage in humanitarian efforts. None of our aid is ever labeled “for LDS only.” We build bridges of cooperation instead of walls of segregation. The Saints are gathered in their own lands. 

We hang onto the raft by making and keeping temple covenants....on both sides of the veil. We must look and act like true followers of Jesus.  

Testimony....This is the Church of Jesus Christ. Blessing of happiness and joy by feasting on the words of Jesus Christ.

Bernard, thank you for providing these notes. I miss having occasion to be present when the prophet speaks. 

• Like 1

I think you guys should actually start giving spoiler alerts, because from what I have read here it is much the same that I heard in Vancouver. :)

This is not really a surprise since they are reading from a teleprompter (although Pres. Eyring had to wing it for a bit at the beginning because it was on the fritz at the moment.)

Truth is though, it doesn't matter. Don't we really hear the same things pretty much all the time? The point is to just be there really. Anything that is truly revelatory with come from your own personal experience and where you are currently at and dealing with. 

Personally, it was really needed for me, not for any revelatory sense, but a nice kick to get me out of some doubting muck I've been stuck in for a month.

Edited by thatjimguy
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

I don't know if it was mentioned that Safeco Field wasn't initially available so they reserved the Tacoma Dome, which had half the capacity.  Then Safeco came available, so we got it.

Then we received alerts from the Washington Department of Transportation that the main roads would have construction crews so we needed to add quite a bit of extra time to get there.

Friday, WDOT sent out a message that, due to projected rain, the construction had been cancelled. 

When we arrived, there was a slight misting, but not enough to get anyone wet.  Thousands were filing into Safeco Field, enjoying visiting with old friends from long ago.  When we left, same thing.  Slight sprinkling, but not enough to get wet.  Overall great experience that went by too fast.  It took about as long as a Sacrament meeting. 

President Nelson has an amazing constitution.  At 94, he walked in with a spring in his step that energized me to see. The messages were wonderful. Testimonies were strengthened.  Many or most left knowing we had been in the presence of a prophet of God, in my opinion.  

The Hand of Providence was at work

• Like 2