Seriously No Politics ×

Making Room for Faith Quote

What no one shows the ability to defend is quickly abandoned. Rational argument does not create belief, but it maintains a climate in which belief may flourish. – Austin Farrar

It is often quoted by way of C.S. Lewis in apologetics. It's an excellent quote. 

Edited by rongo

Rational argument is so rarely seen in public discourse. Too often the discussion is thought to be - "Listen, I am telling you what is right because I know what I am talking about."  When others do not conform to personal opinions known or perceived as rational thought then we assume they are irrational and not capable of seeing reality; that they are closed-minded individuals of faith who do not understand or ignore the really elevated knowledge that man has produced. 

7 hours ago, stemelbow said:

I'm not a fan of the quote.  Quite often rational argument undermines one's beliefs.  More and more, it seems, rational argument produces less room for belief.  Belief flourishes only when, as I've seen, rational argument is ignored or misunderstood.  

Rational arguments about faith are rare because most people who want to participate in them are arguing in bad faith. This problem is not limited to religion.

On 9/13/2018 at 12:57 PM, rongo said:

What no one shows the ability to defend is quickly abandoned. Rational argument does not create belief, but it maintains a climate in which belief may flourish. – Austin Farrar

It is often quoted by way of C.S. Lewis in apologetics. It's an excellent quote. 

And by Daniel C. Peterson. 

It was something of an unofficial motto for the Maxwell Institute while he was there. These days, I’m not so sure.