Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Hauglid

Making Room for Faith Quote

Recommended Posts

Not the Kantian one, but the one I've seen used in apologetics. Something about creating plausibility so faith can flourish. Was it Maxwell? I've been wracking my brain. I need the quote for some writing I'm currently doing. Help, please.

Share this post


Link to post

What no one shows the ability to defend is quickly abandoned. Rational argument does not create belief, but it maintains a climate in which belief may flourish. – Austin Farrar

It is often quoted by way of C.S. Lewis in apologetics. It's an excellent quote. 

Edited by rongo
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not a fan of the quote.  Quite often rational argument undermines one's beliefs.  More and more, it seems, rational argument produces less room for belief.  Belief flourishes only when, as I've seen, rational argument is ignored or misunderstood.  

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, stemelbow said:

More and more, it seems, rational argument produces less room for belief.

When I see what many people on this forum assume to be 'rational' argument, I'm not surprised this is sometimes the outcome.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Rational argument is so rarely seen in public discourse. Too often the discussion is thought to be - "Listen, I am telling you what is right because I know what I am talking about."  When others do not conform to personal opinions known or perceived as rational thought then we assume they are irrational and not capable of seeing reality; that they are closed-minded individuals of faith who do not understand or ignore the really elevated knowledge that man has produced. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, stemelbow said:

I'm not a fan of the quote.  Quite often rational argument undermines one's beliefs.  More and more, it seems, rational argument produces less room for belief.  Belief flourishes only when, as I've seen, rational argument is ignored or misunderstood.  

Rational arguments about faith are rare because most people who want to participate in them are arguing in bad faith. This problem is not limited to religion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/13/2018 at 12:57 PM, rongo said:

What no one shows the ability to defend is quickly abandoned. Rational argument does not create belief, but it maintains a climate in which belief may flourish. – Austin Farrar

It is often quoted by way of C.S. Lewis in apologetics. It's an excellent quote. 

And by Daniel C. Peterson. 

It was something of an unofficial motto for the Maxwell Institute while he was there. These days, I’m not so sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/13/2018 at 7:32 PM, Hamba Tuhan said:

When I see what many people on this forum assume to be 'rational' argument, I'm not surprised this is sometimes the outcome.

I concur. A major problem we have in the states is that so few people actually know what reason is, but they think they are using it

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×