Seriously No Politics ×

Welfare square and non memers

Duncan

1 hour ago, Calm said:

You mean the specially made stuff of DI given away, not purchased in their stores?

I guess! I thought welfare square and the "DI" are all the same thing or organization! does the Church acommodate non members in their Bishop's storehouses, when members come with their orders signed off from their Bishop

Edited by Duncan
45 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I guess! I thought welfare square and the "DI" are all the same thing or organization! does the Church acommodate non members in their Bishop's storehouses, when members come with their orders signed off from thier Bishop

DI are thrift stores as well as having employees make simple furniture, which is both sold at low prices to anyone who comes in to the stores and donated to local charities when they need that kind of stuff.  I think they are part of the Welfare organization, but they are very different than Bishop's Storehouse.  I will have to ask my husband, but .I am pretty sure he mentioned once or twice up in Canada getting stuff for nonmembers from the Storehouse when our bishop was operating as the transient bishop and not available to work with the RS Pres in picking stuff up..  Not so much opportunity down here for that kind of stuff to happen as much fewer nonmembers in our ward area and our church building is stuck in the middle of a neighbourhood snuggled up next to the mountains and not on a intersection of three major roads, including the bus line from the west.

https://www.deseretindustries.org/eighty-years

Edited by Calm

I worked for DI before. Was unreal, I wandered into a ward in a mental mess, and well, they actually helped.  DI was an interesting place, we had one guy there who i'm pretty sure killed someone for a gang initiation.  Think I was one of the few people there who just wanted to get back on my feet and take as little as possible.  I felt kinda bad the whole time I was there, I needed help but wanted to take up as little of their resources as possible, so many of the others who were members were literally there to bleed DI dry.  Would have people ask me all the time to change the price on electronics for them.  If I had asked, I think they would have been willing to open the bishops storehouse too.  Think what made my experience so bad was the upper class people in the ward looking down on not only me, but also the newer, poorer members.  Made me sick.

2 hours ago, Duncan said:

I was wondering do you have to be a member of the Church to utilize the Welfare square, deseret industries items? or what happens to non members who want to get items but don't have a Bishop's approval?

A bishop can provide aid to anyone inside his geographic jurisdiction, member or not.  You may be thinking of food orders filled out by bishops, along with both money and counseling/therapy.  A bishop is free to act in such instances.  However, his funds are limited and in large metropolitan areas where few Mormons live, an LDS bishop might more likely direct non-members to locally available shelters, food pantries, lunch services, and the like.  When I lived in California, my last bishop had me prepare a list of addresses and services provided by a variety of organizations and faiths. He also took part in an local interfaith council in order to deal with such broadly-based problems.

1 minute ago, Robert F. Smith said:

A bishop can provide aid to anyone inside his geographic jurisdiction, member or not.  You may be thinking of food orders filled out by bishops, along with both money and counseling/therapy.  A bishop is free to act in such instances.  However, his funds are limited and in large metropolitan areas where few Mormons live, an LDS bishop might more likely direct non-members to locally available shelters, food pantries, lunch services, and the like.  When I lived in California, my last bishop had me prepare a list of addresses and services provided by a variety of organizations and faiths. He also took part in an local interfaith council in order to deal with such broadly-based problems.

That's what happened with me too, where I was had a horrible homeless/poverty problem that's even worse now.  Sure the practice of busing has made it worse.

21 hours ago, poptart said:

I worked for DI before. Was unreal, I wandered into a ward in a mental mess, and well, they actually helped.  DI was an interesting place, we had one guy there who i'm pretty sure killed someone for a gang initiation.  Think I was one of the few people there who just wanted to get back on my feet and take as little as possible.  I felt kinda bad the whole time I was there, I needed help but wanted to take up as little of their resources as possible, so many of the others who were members were literally there to bleed DI dry.  Would have people ask me all the time to change the price on electronics for them.  If I had asked, I think they would have been willing to open the bishops storehouse too.  Think what made my experience so bad was the upper class people in the ward looking down on not only me, but also the newer, poorer members.  Made me sick.

Some of us from my ward used to volunteer at the big DI in Los Angeles (next to the bishop's storehouse where we would dry pack food).  Missionaries also came in for a few hours a week.  I noticed that we had some developmentally disabled people working there.  They were well supervised, and the work gave them a sense of dignity.  There are bound to be some bad actors there as well, though I don't recall meeting any.  Jesus would certainly have welcomed them, despite their flaws.

Edited by Robert F. Smith
6 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Some of us from my ward used to volunteer at the big DI in Los Angeles (next to the bishop's storehouse where we would dry pack food).  Missionaries also came in for a few hours a week.  I noticed that we had some developmentally disabled people working there.  They were well supervised, and the work gave them a sense or dignity.  There are bound to be some bad actors there as well, though I don't recall meeting any.  Jesus would certainly have welcomed them, despite their flaws.

Guess I just rolled unlucky. 

The Bishop controls access. Non-members can talk to the Bishop. In the past in my area we have worked with other churches, particularly with non-members, to help people. We have a church with a lot of connections for housing so if someone comes we will often provide them with food and turn them to them for help with housing. They sometimes refer people back. The Church is very hesitant to get involved with long-term help for non-members, particularly financial help. Short term help is much more likely.

My dad was there for several years. I just called him for info. 

The presiding bishopric is over welfare square as well as over all the world. They have managers below them that cover several states/countries. Then below that you have others.

My dad was in the employment part and worked more with those who had a record.  One of the first things he did was find out if they were a member or not. If they were then he worked with the bishop of that ward. 

If they were not a member he specifically worked with them in getting a job, but if there were emergencies and others that had to do more with food orders etc were not available then he approve food orders if needed. 

Edited by Rain