Seriously No Politics ×

Speculations for General Conference

Speculations for General Conference  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Somebody who knows somebody who knows some of the Brethren remarked that as significant the changes announced this last General Conference were, this General Conference will exceed that. So, I'm curious what some of the faithful and nay-sayers predict (and not just wish for)?

• reduced 3 hour block
    • women ordained to priesthood officies
    • reversal of SSA policies
    • opening of China to missionaries
    • lowering of sister missionary age to 18 and/or every worthy sister called
    • announcement of new conference center in Adam-ondi-Ahman
    • other
    • nothing unusual or dramatically different than pretty much every other General Conference Session

1 minute ago, Calm said:

Perhaps the specifics don't stick, but an awareness that they belong to a faith community probably does and that can add to a foundation that gets built upon later, imo.

I don't think that there is any less awareness that they belong to a faith community with an hour of sacrament meeting and an hour of primary or priesthood/Relief Society than it is with an extra hour of Sunday School/Primary class. 

I don't think young kids pick up on belonging as much with Sacrament Meeting.  They don't usually sing the songs, the talks are over their heads.  They are there to sit next to their parents.

And an hour's class is enough time to come in and shuffle and look around and then get up and leave again, but very little time to adjust and interact with their fellow students even if it is just becoming familiar with their faces. (Speaking as a 20+ year Primary teacher, almost all Junior)

Edited by Calm
32 minutes ago, rongo said:

I think the pendulum is swinging away from the 1990 "reduce and simplify" instructions (which stressed that active families shouldn't be overburdened to meet the needs of weak families) and back to overprogramming to try to provide instruction and activities for the weak. I think you are correct that this will be the new direction with the new youth programs in 2020. 

I think we should wait and see what it looks like when the new program is fully rolled out and we have complete information.  My feeling is that the programs are being streamlined even more, adapted to all areas of the globe, and designed with all children and youth in mind.  I don't believe that we're moving away from "reduce and simplify," in fact I think this is designed with that goal in mind. 

I don't think that reducing and simplifying means that we need to cut youth programs, but make sure that they are focusing on what matters most (as Elder Bednar is apt to say).

On 8/29/2018 at 2:03 PM, Duncan said:

he came here not 2 weeks ago and never said ticktey boo about that!

Would you mind telling us what he said?

A friend of mine drove to hear Pres N speak. Apparently he is frequently woken during the night with revealation about the church. He keeps a notebook by his bed. His wife needs to leave during this time. He now gets up and goes to a closet so that he does not disturb her.

He talked about the important of parenting. He was very impressed that we have children in our ward

Just now, Sunday21 said:

Would you mind telling us what he said?

A friend of mine drove to hear Pres N speak. Apparently he is frequently woken during the night with revealation about the church. He keeps a notebook by his bed. His wife needs to leave during this time. He now gets up and goes to a closet so that he does not disturb her.

He talked about the important of parenting. He was very impressed that we have children in our ward

he  talked about the Temple that's coming here and essentially said this

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2010/10/prepare-for-the-blessings-of-the-temple?lang=eng

he also gave an interview and said

"In the few minutes I had to speak to him before his address, I asked about that decision.

By announcing the change, he said he was trying to "correct an egregious error" that had taken root over generations. He said he "loves" the prophet Mormon, from whom the name is derived, but "this is not Mormon’s church. I think Mormon himself would be embarrassed if people thought this was his church.

"I’m trying to make clear this is (Jesus’) church," he said, noting that Jesus had impressed this on his mind.

The instruction he received is "an amazing revelation" and will be "a wonderful thing" for the church.

At the same time, Nelson acknowledged changing the name won’t be easy. But when "we know what the Lord wants, we move in that direction," he said."

he never mentioned anything about the name change in his talk though

16 hours ago, Duncan said:

he  talked about the Temple that's coming here and essentially said this

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2010/10/prepare-for-the-blessings-of-the-temple?lang=eng

he also gave an interview and said

"In the few minutes I had to speak to him before his address, I asked about that decision.

By announcing the change, he said he was trying to "correct an egregious error" that had taken root over generations. He said he "loves" the prophet Mormon, from whom the name is derived, but "this is not Mormon’s church. I think Mormon himself would be embarrassed if people thought this was his church.

"I’m trying to make clear this is (Jesus’) church," he said, noting that Jesus had impressed this on his mind.

The instruction he received is "an amazing revelation" and will be "a wonderful thing" for the church.

At the same time, Nelson acknowledged changing the name won’t be easy. But when "we know what the Lord wants, we move in that direction," he said."

he never mentioned anything about the name change in his talk though

I'm unclear on this. Did he give the interview to you or to someone else? If someone else, do you have a reference?

11 minutes ago, Duncan said:

he gave it to a reporter here, named John Longhurst

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/life/faith/prophet-visit-a-once-in-a-lifetime-event-492245761.html

I hope the link works!

It does.

I think it impressive that President Nelson reaffirmed in this interview that the Lord had impressed upon his mind the need to re-emphasize this divine direction.

On 8/30/2018 at 3:07 PM, sheilauk said:

I would like to move to a 4 hour block!   

Seriously though,  those wanting a 2 hour block might consider the single members..

And those wanting a 3 or 4 hour block might consider those families with young children.

Edited by pogi