Seriously No Politics ×

Any predictions for Saturday's football game between BYU & Arizona?

Walden

Anyone have predictions or insights for Saturday evenings game between BYU & Arizona?

I know BYU has been on the ropes the past few seasons, but I am hoping they can pull out a victory. The Cougars have a lot of guys back on defense (not sure if that is a good thing considering recent struggles) and they will face an offensive line in Arizona that has a lot of questions marks. The new coaching staff at Zona will surely bring an exciting brand of offense, let's hope it takes them a couple weeks of the 2018 season to figure it all out. I think if BYU can limit the big plays from Arizona's offense, they have a chance. This could become a shootout rather quickly if BYU's offense can get going early in the game.

My bold prediction....BYU beats Arizona 38-31

My head says Arizona, my heart says BYU. 

Our offense was so bad last year, that even playing well offensively and looking competitive in a loss will be a positive for me. 

The schedule is very tough. I would consider a .500 season to be very good this year. 

6 hours ago, Walden said:

My bold prediction....BYU beats Arizona 38-31

I agree.  Arizona has a new coaching staff and their offensive line is very young.  Arizona’s main weapon is Heisman candidate Khalil Tate.  Maybe a more experienced BYU defense gets the upper hand against the young Arizona offense and shuts Tate down.  If that happens, I think the Cougars have a good chance to win this one.

We are actually headed down for the game.  I’m excited...and nervous...and hopeful.  Go Cougs!

Edited by Okrahomer
22 hours ago, Okrahomer said:

I agree.  Arizona has a new coaching staff and their offensive line is very young.  Arizona’s main weapon is Heisman candidate Khalil Tate.  Maybe a more experienced BYU defense gets the upper hand against the young Arizona offense and shuts Tate down.  If that happens, I think the Cougars have a good chance to win this one.

We are actually headed down for the game.  I’m excited...and nervous...and hopeful.  Go Cougs!

Me too, Okrahomer...  You all know what a Cougar fan I am... I hope our new offensive coaches have been able to turn around our previous performance.  I'm nervous and hopeful...

GG

On 8/27/2018 at 8:35 PM, Okrahomer said:

Hope you have a blast....I attend a lot of PAC-12 football games and Zona has some of the surliest fans in the bunch, second only to Washington State fans. I anticipate BYU nation will turn out en masse as they always do, especially in a heavily LDS area like Arizona.

Go Cougs!

Edited by Walden
22 hours ago, Walden said:

Hope you have a blast....I attend a lot of PAC-12 football games and Zona has some of the surliest fans in the bunch, second only to Washington State fans. I anticipate BYU nation will turn out en masse as they always do, especially in a heavily LDS area like Arizona.

Go Cougs!

Friends from Utah flew in at the last minute with tickets for me and my wife to the UofA/BYU game in 2016. First time I've been in an NFL stadium before (wow!). We were in the UofA section, but they were fine. I've seen much worse fans than they were. They were pretty stunned right after the game-winning field goal, though. 

Are they Pac-12 refs this time? That's my concern. Well, BYU's offense is also a concern, too . . . ;) 

Edited by rongo

Yes, to keep this in the religious forum - The sun shall refuse to shine, and the moon shall be as blood with dark portions of concentrated hematocrit. The coyotes shall yowl, and the fowl shall sing the song of the night. When Arizona gets the ball the heavens shall weep (can't say whether it's for joy or not).

Did anyone see the Women's Volleyball game tonight (8/31)... No. 9 BYU took on No. 1 Stanford in Smith Fieldhouse  with almost 5,000 in attendance... and won!!  BYU took the first 2 sets... then Stanford took the next 2, forcing a 5th set... which BYU won 15 to 11... it was a hard fought victory for BYU over the number one team...  Go Cougars!!  Stanford will go home, well aware that they played BYU in the incredible Smith Fieldhouse... with the fans rocking the house as only they can...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Well, I just finished my prayers for our BYU Cougars in tonight's game against Arizona...  I never pray that our team will win.  Rather, my prayer is that our team will play with honor, with courage, and with enthusiasm... I pray that individually and as a team we will be able to draw on our skills to the best of our ability... I always look at our teams as an opportunity for others to see us and get to know us... after all, we are Brigham Young University...  

GG

1 minute ago, Garden Girl said:

Well, I just finished my prayers for our BYU Cougars in tonight's game against Arizona...  I never pray that our team will win.  Rather, my prayer is that our team will play with honor, with courage, and with enthusiasm... I pray that individually and as a team we will be able to draw on our skills to the best of our ability... I always look at our teams as an opportunity for others to see us and get to know us... after all, we are Brigham Young University...  

GG

I hope you have a lot of opportunity to be excited this year, GG.

My husband at times even forgets about games now (diehard UVU fan, so that occupies him), so whenever I hear about BYU playing I think of them winning for you.  :)

We're in the 4th quarter with about 8 mins to go and BYU is leading 28 to 17...  I'm hoping BYU can hold on and pull this off... they've managed to contain the Ariz Heisman-contender quarterback, Tate.  Mangum is doing a good job and making decent plays... First game jitters gave way to more confidence for him as the game played.  We've got some good players on both offense and defense... offensive coaching has made a big diff.  And TakiTaki and Kafusi have been valuable.  Canada is great...

Oh-Oh... Ariz got a touchdown... didn't make the 2 point conversion... so, 28 - 23...  2-1/2 mins to go... no time outs for BYU... 2 for Ariz...   this has been a great game for BYU as they have played hard and well... Ariz now out of time outs...  40 secs to go... Canada makes the critical 1st down to seal the win... 28 - 23 BYU... GO COUGS!!

GG

On 8/29/2018 at 11:59 AM, Walden said:

Go Cougs!

We had a great time...surrounded by friendly Wildcat fans.  When BYU took control of the game in the 3rd quarter, the woman next to me asked:  “Do you live here in Tucson?”

When I told her we had come down from Utah, she said:  “There sure are a lot of you here.”  I told her that I thought the majority of the BYU fans in attendance were probably local.

1 hour ago, RevTestament said:

Congratulations BYU! You pulled it off. I was doubting you had it in you.

Hello Rev...

As I mentioned previously. the new offensive coaching has made a really big difference, and has the offence more confident and going in the right direction... This was just the first game, but I think in spite of some tough games scheduled that BYU will have a decent year...

GG

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone see the BYU - Wisconsin game today?!!  We won!! The first Big 10 non-conference team to beat Wisc on their own home turf in 15 years... and we did it.  The Cougs played hard and were able to keep up with Wisc and finally prevail... 24 - 21...  Go Cougs!

GG

Good night GG. You beat Wisconsin. How fun for you. I am glad for you all. Just don't go beating Notre Dame, okay?

Edited by 3DOP
21 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

Did anyone see the BYU - Wisconsin game today?!!  We won!! The first Big 10 non-conference team to beat Wisc on their own home turf in 15 years... and we did it.  The Cougs played hard and were able to keep up with Wisc and finally prevail... 24 - 21...  Go Cougs!

GG

We had stake conference yesterday. The area seventy who was visiting was so excited about BYU winning, that he announced during his talk. I think he was checking his phone during conference. At first, I thought he was joking as Wisconsin is great this year. I guess he was right in being excited.