Seriously No Politics ×

Comic's ad for Utah Show includes picture of him in garments

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900028735/u-president-decries-deeply-offensive-tweet-from-comedian-david-cross.html

I've never heard of this guy, but I'm flabbergasted that he thinks this is o.k.  If he did this with something Jewish people believed was sacred, would he get away with it?  Would the university still say that it was protected free speech?  Sincere questions as I can't wrap my head around people who are like this and then defend it.

Also, did the SLC tribune cover this story?  So far I've only seen it in the Charlotte observer, but the trip's paywall could be the reason.

Edited by bluebell
11 minutes ago, bluebell said:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article216991750.html

I've never heard of this guy, but I'm flabbergasted that he thinks this is o.k.  If he did this with something Jewish people believed was sacred, would he get away with it?  Would the university still say that it was protected free speech?  Sincere questions as I can't wrap my head around people who are like this and then defend it.

Also, did the SLC tribune cover this story?  So far I've only seen it in the Charlotte observer, but the trip's paywall could be the reason.

Wow :(

Yes, the Trib covered the story yesterday (I believe they were the first, but don’t hold me to that).

I agree, this was done in poor taste and he would likely never pull a similar stunt if the predominant religion were Judiasm or Islam.

Disappointing, especially since he was so great on Arrested Development. 

21 minutes ago, bluebell said:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/08/19/comedian-david-cross/

The picture is a scene from his show Arrested Development.  I love the show, but never saw that episode.  I won't be going for sure.  To bad, he is really funny on the show, but this is too much. 

Tribune: https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/08/19/comedian-david-cross/

Fox 13 (Salt Lake City affiliate): https://fox13now.com/2018/08/19/comedian-david-cross-offends-some-utahns-with-promotional-picture/ 

Sacramento Bee: https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article216991750.html (has the pic, so be warned)

The UofU re-tweeted the post, then apologized, while also defending Cross' right to free speech.  I appreciate and respect this approach, which is balanced and appropriate for a public institution.

David Cross, meanwhile, has doubled down on it.  Per the SacBee: 

Cross, for his part, appeared to double down on the controversy with a follow-up Twitter post early Sunday that read, “Holy “moly”! My opening 10 minutes are going to be on fire!!!Read the replies for some underwear fun.”

Thanks,

-Smac

20 minutes ago, omni said:

Yes, the Trib covered the story yesterday (I believe they were the first, but don’t hold me to that).

I agree, this was done in poor taste and he would likely never pull a similar stunt if the predominant religion were Judiasm or Islam.

Disappointing, especially since he was so great on Arrested Development. 

I've seen one of his stand up shows (on TV), and this is very much in keeping with the tone of his standup persona, which is  basically being obnoxiously nihilistic and acerbic for laughs. Not my thing at all. But like you, I loved him on Arrested Development.

Good thing that the church put out the video not too long ago about the garment. I don't agree with this comic's style of what he thinks is funny. I've never watched Arrested Development, so I've no idea who he is, but very sad that he did that, he had to of known the consequences of it, and the U of U president's reaction to it as well. I don't care if it's freedom of speech, I would cut the guy off from performing there. But I guess I'm an emotional person that way. 

4 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

He’s going for reaction which is largely, as I understand it,  how he makes his money in these comedies shows.  Guess it’s worked.  

Not all reaction and attention is good for comedians - Michael Richards got PLENTY of reaction and attention from his racist rant in 2006, which ended up negatively impacting his career. 

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article216991750.html

This is so tasteless, what part of this looks funny Trib is even more puzzling......

42 minutes ago, Prof said:

One of the comments tweeted was about how lazy this guy was to go after humor in this manner.

I tend to agree.

Definitely low-hanging fruit. Seems to have worked, though. How many of us would have known that David Cross was doing a gig in Salt Lake had this not happened?

14 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

Definitely low-hanging fruit. Seems to have worked, though. How many of us would have known that David Cross was doing a gig in Salt Lake had this not happened?

Very true.  However, I had a postive/neutral opinion about Cross before this.  Now, I'll steer clear.  I have no doubt that he won't lose any sleep over that.

20 minutes ago, pogi said:

Not all reaction and attention is good for comedians - Michael Richards got PLENTY of reaction and attention from his racist rant in 2006, which ended up negatively impacting his career. 

Yes, but everyone knows that it's o.k. to mock mormons and your career will be fine.  

1 minute ago, bluebell said:

Very true.  However, I had a postive/neutral opinion about Cross before this.  Now, I'll steer clear.  I have no doubt that he won't lose any sleep over that.

It's too bad. His work in Arrested Development was brilliant. Very disappointed that he's doubled-down on this. 

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900028735/u-president-decries-deeply-offensive-tweet-from-comedian-david-cross.html

This was heavily discussed Sunday on Twitter. My favorite take down was McKay Coppins', a well known Mormon reporter at the Atlantic. Cross tried to slam him but (I thought at least) came off as even lamer.

Cross is pretty well known. If you've had kids you've probably been subjected to the Chipmunks. He's the bad guy in those movies. He's better known for Arrested Development where he was pretty funny.

The real issue for me isn't Cross, but this apparently being publicity material for the show at the UoU. I'd love to know how widely dispersed this image was or if it was just on Twitter.

Edited by clarkgoble
1 hour ago, pogi said:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/08/19/comedian-david-cross/

The picture is a scene from his show Arrested Development.  I love the show, but never saw that episode.  I won't be going for sure.  To bad, he is really funny on the show, but this is too much. 

I only watched the first season. It was funny but a bit much for me. However is this image in the series? It honestly looks photoshopped in.

1 minute ago, clarkgoble said:

This was heavily discussed Sunday on Twitter. My favorite take down was McKay Coppins', a well known Mormon reporter at the Atlantic. Cross tried to slam him but (I thought at least) came off as even lamer.

Cross is pretty well known. If you've had kids you've probably been subjected to the Chipmunks. He's the bad guy in those movies. He's better known for Arrested Development where he was pretty funny.

The real issue for me isn't Cross, but this apparently being publicity material for the show at the UoU. I'd love to know how widely dispersed this image was or if it was just on Twitter.

Apparently, the U of U responded positively in a tweet initially. Now they are saying that the guy who posted the tweet is new to Utah and wasn't aware of the nature of garments, etc. 

1 minute ago, clarkgoble said:

I only watched the first season. It was funny but a bit much for me. However is this image in the series? It honestly looks photoshopped in.

You are right, I misread.

From the tribune:

The photo is an altered still from Cross’ sitcom “Arrested Development” in which his character’s red underwear in the scene is replaced by the white two-piece garments.

I'm disappointed, but this is pretty much what I'd expect from a never-nude.

(He also had a small role in Spielberg's "The Post":)

David+Cross+Tom+Hanks+Set+Steven+Spielbe

Also a small role in "Men in Black" 21 years ago...

mib_david_cross.jpg

Edited by cinepro