Seriously No Politics ×

Is there room?

Is there room in Mormonism** for a monastic way of life? If so, how could the church go about incorporating such a practice? Would it need to begin with a younger generation? Personally, I would love to see what that looks like.

**I'm not getting caught up in the name usage debate. 15 pages of exhaustive dialogue! Good grief! 

Edited by Valentinus
3 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Monasticism come from the Greek word μόνος, which means 'alone'. As a rule, Latter-day Saints don't do withdrawal from the world; we do engagement with with world. We are social creatures. It is certainly easier to love one's neighbour when one doesn't have any neighbours, but that's not our understanding of how best to follow the Lord's commandments.

Could an LDS monastic life be a product of the "in the world, not of the world" philosophy?

I do think there is room for a monastic way of life within the gospel. Obviously, the Church teaches the importance and benefits of families; however, some of us at some point in our lives would appreciate the opportunity to live a more quiet way of life. Though I may not be entirely objective on this point; I have a high degree of righteous envy for this way of life found within Catholicism. 

I agree that it follows in the example of being in the world and not of the world. Also, it offers the opportunity to those who are single - regardless of how or why - to join a rewarding way of life for a short time or for their remaining days. 

1 hour ago, Storm Rider said:

I do think there is room for a monastic way of life within the gospel. Obviously, the Church teaches the importance and benefits of families; however, some of us at some point in our lives would appreciate the opportunity to live a more quiet way of life. Though I may not be entirely objective on this point; I have a high degree of righteous envy for this way of life found within Catholicism. 

I agree that it follows in the example of being in the world and not of the world. Also, it offers the opportunity to those who are single - regardless of how or why - to join a rewarding way of life for a short time or for their remaining days. 

Thanks, Storm! What do you think LDS monasticism would look like as an established part of the church? Would it still include temple work?

3 hours ago, Valentinus said:

Is there room in Mormonism** for a monastic way of life? If so, how could the church go about incorporating such a practice? Would it need to begin with a younger generation? Personally, I would love to see what that looks like.

**I'm not getting caught up in the name usage debate. 15 pages of exhaustive dialogue! Good grief! 

Valentines, just reading between the lines here, but have you embraced Catholicism?

Could an LDS monastic life be a product of the "in the world, not of the world" philosophy?

Perhaps I need to have the word defined for me, but I don’t see it as being the same. 

As applied in Latter-day Saint culture over the years, that saying conveys the concept of interacting with the world on a somewhat normal basis but at the same time eschewing ungodly influences such as violation of the laws of chastity, Sabbath observance, the Word of Wisdom, etc. 

1 hour ago, Valentinus said:

Thanks, Storm! What do you think LDS monasticism would look like as an established part of the church? Would it still include temple work?

I have a cousin who has never married.  He basically sacrificed any hope of a family of his own when his parents in succession developed Alzheimer’s.  He took care of them both for many years, until he was well into his 50’s.  Now that his parents have passed away, he serves at the Temple full time.  I would say that his life now is almost “monastic.”  I don’t think I could do what he has done, but I have the impression that he is very much at peace with the choices he made. 

I think so. Christ fasted alone in the wilderness for 40 days. So we have some precedent for contemplation in solitude.

I don’t think that a monastic life would ever be encouraged by the church. In fact, where I live if a person over 30 is unmarried, the bishop will encourage the single person to marry. Marriage in the temple is an important ordinance and is a goal that all are encouraged to strive for.

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/worldwide-leadership-training/2012/01/the-doctrinal-importance-of-marriage-and-children?lang=eng

18 minutes ago, Okrahomer said:

I have a cousin who has never married.  He basically sacrificed any hope of a family of his own when his parents in succession developed Alzheimer’s.  He took care of them both for many years, until he was well into his 50’s.  Now that his parents have passed away, he serves at the Temple full time.  I would say that his life now is almost “monastic.”  I don’t think I could do what he has done, but I have the impression that he is very much at peace with the choices he made. 

I had an greataunt who ended up this way, sacrificed a budding academic career back east to come back and care for her parents.  There is a good chance my great grandmother had Alzheimer's as she ended up in a mental institution.  Even though she was very active in both Church and local community (Dean of Women at East High iirc), she felt very isolated in her life even when one of her married sisters came back home as a widow.  

Something unique and special and desirable for the singles in the Church would be nice.  From many, I hear working in the temple can fill that role.  Older single men being able to continue to work in the temple now is important, imo (my memory is correct on that, there isn't an age limit for men these days, right?)

Edited by Calm
4 minutes ago, Calm said:

I had an greataunt who ended up this way, sacrificed a budding academic career back east to come back and care for her parents.  There is a good chance my great grandmother had Alzheimer's as she ended up in a mental institution.  

I still don’t fully understand how he did what he did.  His service first to his parents and now to the Church have refined him and in my opinion prepared him for eternal life in ways I will never understand.

9 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Marriage an essential step to exaltation

“In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees;

“And in order to obtain the highest, a man [and a woman] must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage]” (D&C 131:1–2; see also 49:15–16).

Which can be entered into after one dies -- by proxy.

2 hours ago, Valentinus said:

If I was creating it I think it may be centered on temple work/service, but not necessarily. As I understand it, it would all depend on the "rule" that is being followed by the given monastery. For example, the Trappists have a very strict rule whereas most others have a more open, interactive approach, yet still with periods of silence. 

To me, it is an issue of what one feels called to do in life. Also, it is not a permanent state for the individual  - it always remains a position of what one is called to do. 

We live in a highly transient world and our members do not all fall into a cookie-cutter mold - large extended families. I could easily see an individual without a lot of family relationships, older, looking for a place to belong, feel wanted and needed, and felt called to a specific way of life offered by a monastery. In addition, I could see a young person that just feels the need for a temporary stay of a few weeks to a few years. 

The monastery life does not compete with the importance of family, rather it offers different alternatives to those, for whatever reason, are single. These would each individual commitment to a life of holiness, righteousness, worship, and joy. 

This is an exciting concept that I would support. I don't think it needs to be lead by the Church. I could easily see a group of people just start the process, create their rules, and begin.  

My mom went up in the mountains in a trailer by herself (my dad would drive her up into Yosemite and park her in one of the campgrounds) when I was in my teens and then when older, she went to a place in St. George.  She would get up early, take a lightlunch, and water and go walk for 8 or more hours.  Did a lot of reading as well.  She would be gone for several weeks.  Afterwards, she would come home rejuvenated.  She definitely had a strong streak of hermit in her.

4 minutes ago, Calm said:

My mom went up in the mountains in a trailer by herself (my dad would drive her up into Yosemite and park her in one of the campgrounds) when I was in my teens and then when older, she went to a place in St. George.  She would get up early, take a lightlunch, and water and go walk for 8 or more hours.  Did a lot of reading as well.  She would be gone for several weeks.  Afterwards, she would come home rejuvenated.  She definitely had a strong streak of hermit in her.

Wow, kudos to her, I'd never last without my family, I get so lonesome. Several weeks? Wow, kudos to your dad as well!! I remember taking off once to go spend a night at a hotel for one night just to get away, but came home instead, couldn't do it. Maybe I should have tried camping, much better!

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

True but..we are commanded to marry https://www.lds.org/ensign/2010/04/making-the-marriage-decision?lang=eng

Now the situation is different if no suitable marriage partner is available but...singles are expected to make an effort to find a suitable partner in this life. 

There are several good members in my ward who have never married.  It is easy to put the blame on them, but this thread has already shown several cases where there just wasn't the opportunity.  Getting married is not just like falling off a log . . .

I have known several individuals who lost their spouses and then just never remarried. On the other hand, as has been said, I have known some people who never married. Regardless, I don't think this is about marriage - marriage is irrelevant to its purpose and function. The topic is about individuals who are open to living in a communal environment that is dedicated to holiness.  This search for holiness could take a wide range of expressions based upon the objectives of the particular monastery.

Also, I would not envision this process as one that emulates the lives of Catholic religious - monks, nuns, priests, etc. However, it certainly could use some of their better examples to assist in organizing.