Seriously No Politics ×

Gospel Essays in the Curriculum

I've been told that the gospel essays are now being taught as part of the Relief Society and priesthood meeting curriculum. That is news to me, but then I've been out of the loop for years. In the last month or so that I've been attending meetings, I haven't heard them mentioned. Rather than arguing about what's in the essays, I'd just like to ask if the essays are being discussed as part of the curriculum where you live. 

Nowadays RS/PH meetings are pretty open as to the subjects to be discussed, to be decided by local leadership.  The essays are certainly fair game to talk about, I do know several wards that have done so.  Mine personally has not, rather the focus has been on other subjects of local concern. 

Just now, Jane_Doe said:

Nowadays RS/PH meetings are pretty open as to the subjects to be discussed, to be decided by local leadership.  The essays are certainly fair game to talk about, I do know several wards that have done so.  Mine personally has not, rather the focus has been on other subjects of local concern. 

Yeah, whether or not they are being used depends entirely on the content of the local classes (which they have more latitude in now). 

I think "part of the curriculum" means "is available to use if people want to." I am not aware of any overt encouragement from Salt Lake. Apostles who have fielded Q&A in my area on essay topics seem like they are pretty poorly-versed on the essay content. I think they are mainly there just to be there, and to be able to refer to when needed. I don't think they are intended for in-depth, systematic study, and I think they would frown on intense, systematic study of them in local classes. That, to me would be using classes for hobby horse topics instead of what they should be used for. And I say that as one who is well-known for encouraging inoculation and exposing in a faithful manner and setting.

25 minutes ago, rongo said:

Yeah, whether or not they are being used depends entirely on the content of the local classes (which they have more latitude in now). 

I think "part of the curriculum" means "is available to use if people want to." I am not aware of any overt encouragement from Salt Lake. Apostles who have fielded Q&A in my area on essay topics seem like they are pretty poorly-versed on the essay content. I think they are mainly there just to be there, and to be able to refer to when needed. I don't think they are intended for in-depth, systematic study, and I think they would frown on intense, systematic study of them in local classes. That, to me would be using classes for hobby horse topics instead of what they should be used for. And I say that as one who is well-known for encouraging inoculation and exposing in a faithful manner and setting.

I hope members of the Q12 aren't poorly versed on the content of the essays.  I would hope they would spend time studying, pondering, praying,and seeking revelation about issues which have led to thousands leaving in recent years.  

1 hour ago, jkwilliams said:

I've been told that the gospel essays are now being taught as part of the Relief Society and priesthood meeting curriculum. That is news to me, but then I've been out of the loop for years. In the last month or so that I've been attending meetings, I haven't heard them mentioned. Rather than arguing about what's in the essays, I'd just like to ask if the essays are being discussed as part of the curriculum where you live. 

They have been used a couple of times on 5th Sundays in my ward, when the Elders and Relief Society get together.  However, since they cover a wide range of issues, one might utilize them when covering that subject in a regular lesson (part of the curriculum). You might want to use an essay in preparation for any upcoming lesson which applies, so that you can enrich the experience for the other students.  The regular teacher may not even be aware of the essays.

7 minutes ago, drums12 said:

I hope members of the Q12 aren't poorly versed on the content of the essays.  I would hope they would spend time studying, pondering, praying,and seeking revelation about issues which have led to thousands leaving in recent years.  

I hope so, too. They have every appearance to me of being outsourced to academics and rubber-stamp approved. When asked about things like Joseph Smith's polygamy, the Book of Abraham, or even translation method, they don't seem familiar with the issues and content. At least the ones I have seen asked. 

20 minutes ago, drums12 said:

Apparently they are first worrying about all the people who leave the Church because of its loose adherence to D&C 115:4.

1 hour ago, jkwilliams said:

We did cover the priesthood ban essay, but it was a special fifth Sunday lesson

7 hours ago, jkwilliams said:

As far as I know they are not in the official curriculum list, but yes could be chosen within an individual ward as an optional lesson.

7 hours ago, drums12 said:

I've taken time to read the essays, some of them more than once. But if you were to ask me what is contained in any particular essay, I couldn't do it with confidence without looking it up.

I think you need to cut these men some slack. Do you expect them to have memorized each essay?

3 hours ago, strappinglad said:

My ward has not gotten the memo. We still use old conference talks.

That's what you're suppose to do -- but not "old" per se, just from the most recent conference. And you're supposed to have a council meeting on the first Sunday of the month and on the fourth Sunday, disuss a topic designated every six months  by the Church leadership.

We are   notified of the talk we are to discuss and dutifully read it before class. Then the instructor hands out slips of paper with parts of the talk on and we go around the room reading the slips. The occasional question is asked. Once a month for 6 months we discuss " keeping the Sabbath Holy." That will grind the topic up thoroughly and we will discuss the Sabbath Day again when? In 5-10 years? On the fifth Sundays I suppose we could talk about something different but with the sisters present we must be circumspect. Oh for the days when the odd duck in the quorum would ask the unaskable and off we could go for 45 minutes. OH well...

18 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

We are   notified of the talk we are to discuss and dutifully read it before class. Then the instructor hands out slips of paper with parts of the talk on and we go around the room reading the slips. The occasional question is asked. Once a month for 6 months we discuss " keeping the Sabbath Holy." That will grind the topic up thoroughly and we will discuss the Sabbath Day again when? In 5-10 years? On the fifth Sundays I suppose we could talk about something different but with the sisters present we must be circumspect. Oh for the days when the odd duck in the quorum would ask the unaskable and off we could go for 45 minutes. OH well...

That sounds like our ward.

20 minutes ago, sunstoned said:

That sounds like our ward.

Correlation needs to end. Let people say what they want. It might be an attraction? It seems like there is some nostalgia for a freer time? I remember some of the debates we would have in elder's quorum or when we were combined ....

On 8/17/2018 at 2:36 PM, jkwilliams said:

It seems you were told wrong.

4 hours ago, jkwilliams said:

Sounds like things vary by ward and stake. Thanks, everyone, for the responses. 

2 hours ago, clarkgoble said:

I guess I was mistaken. I assumed it was fairly broadly taught. All the wards around here have had them as a focus and I thought it was churchwide. 

Yes, as long as they are not built centrally into the curriculum, it cannot be correctly said that they are being taught as part of the Relief Society and priesthood meeting curriculum Church-wide. But even so, certainly things could still vary in practice!

Edited by CV75
On 8/17/2018 at 3:37 PM, drums12 said:

I think they are well  versed on their responsibilities, and the topics they need to address such as special witnesses of Christ. 

But that is just me.

Edited by cdowis