Seriously No Politics ×

The Name of the Church

35 minutes ago, cinepro said:

I think we have overlooked a bit of the obvious.  It seems that the greatest benefit of this new de-emphasis on the word "Mormon" is that it will facilitate the Church's move to a new narrative that also de-emphasizes the focus on a literal belief in The Book of Mormon. 

Given President Nelson, President Oaks, et. al.'s arch conservativeness and traditionalness (e.g., global flood, evolution, literal scripture history, etc.), you're kidding, right? You don't really think that this is the expeditionary force in preparation for going full Community of Christ? 

That is not what is behind this. At all. I think it's as simple as it is really important to him that the full name be used as much as possible. 

Edited by rongo
1 minute ago, SouthernMo said:

I see what you're saying.  The question I have is: when did the formative period end?  I would submit that we are and should be constantly forming and improving.  I'm not vehemently opposed to a renaming or a re-branding, or reversion back to a more Christ-centered name.  But, I struggle with the position that any one name is 'right.'  Who knows, the next president of this church may embrace another name...

I take the position that whatever God commands is right. I believe, based on President Nelson’s own affirmation, that in taking this current action, he is fulfilling a commandment of God. 

Regarding your question about when the formative period ended, my opinion is that it lasted until the standard works and foundational doctrines as we have them today were in place. 

42 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Just to be clear, you don't mind The Church using the name of another church. You call that sharing.

If another church coopted the church's name, would you mind? Specifically, Imagine the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints: Restoration Branch decided to shorten their name to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, you'd be all for sharing?

And it never bothered you in the past when other groups referred to themselves as Mormon? That was just sharing?

I don’t personally get heartburn over what other groups choose to call themselves. 

What other groups refer to themselves as Mormon? Not the Community of Christ (formerly RLDS). I know they have distinctly said they do not. 

1 hour ago, ALarson said:

Scott, I'm curious what you will replace these with?  What will you say instead of "Mormon doctrine" for example? (Are you going to say "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Doctrine"?)

(And also "Mormonism" or "the Mormon faith" or Mormon studies?  What will be your new terms or phrases for these?)

I might say something like “the doctrine of the Latter-day Saints.” I might just wait and see what the Church does in conformity with this directive from the Church president and take my cue from that. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
12 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I don’t personally get heartburn over what other groups choose to call themselves. 

What other groups refer to themselves as Mormon? Not the Community of Christ (formerly RLDS). I know they have distinctly said they do not. 

Yes. To my understanding a number of polygamous groups refer to themselves as Mormon.

I'm glad it doesn't bother you but I'm surprised you'd be ok with a polygamous group calling themselves Mormon, or a newspaper article labeling a polygamous group as Mormon.

1 minute ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Yes. To my understanding a number of polygamous groups refer to themselves as Mormon.

I'm glad it doesn't bother you but I'm surprised you'd be ok with a polygamous group calling themselves Mormon, or a newspaper article labeling a polygamous group as Mormon.

Pres. Nelson's direction on this issue, if followed by the press, will at the very least cut down on instance of polygamous groups as well as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints both being labeled mormons in news articles now.  That's probably a good thing.

10 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Meh. 

That was during the formative period of the Church, and the people were working with limited light and understanding. 

When you say the people, do you include Joseph Smith as having limited light and understanding?

9 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Which ones specifically? Documentation, please. (And I mean self-identification, not just what perhaps ill-informed news media might call them). 

As for what news media do, I disapprove of any inaccuracy by news media, particularly when it leads to confusion among the public, as it might when they use a term such as “fundamentalist Mormon” that could convey the impression they are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints when they are not. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
13 hours ago, Rajah Manchou said:

membersofthechurchofjesuschristoflatter-daysaintsdialogue.org is available. should we all chip in?
https://www.namecheap.com/domains/registration/results.aspx?domain=membersofthechurchofjesuschristoflatter-daysaintsdialogue.org

I'm glad they stole that name. I don't really want to on the "Jesus Christ 'o flatter Day Saints" board. That's what I see when I see the name that way. I like LDS.org much better. ;) 

15 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Pres. Nelson's direction on this issue, if followed by the press, will at the very least cut down on instance of polygamous groups as well as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints both being labeled mormons in news articles now.  That's probably a good thing.

I would imagine that plays into the reasoning for the church but Scott said it doesn't bother him if people use our name or we use theirs, let alone a nickname. I find that very surprising.

35 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I might say something like “the doctrine of the Latter-day Saints.” I might just wait and see what the Church does in conformity with this directive from the Church president and take my cue from that. 

Shorthand (authorizedly, of course ;)) the name of the Church: "Doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ."

49 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Regarding your question about when the formative period ended, my opinion is that it lasted until the standard works and foundational doctrines as we have them today were in place. 

So the formative period of the church ended in 2013 when the latest editions of LDS scriptures began to be published?

4 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

it may be convenient for some, but for some it's a way to deny us our faith in Christ.

I see no reason not to follow the guidelines. This isn't the first time the name has been emphasized. I'm actually surprised it's gotten so much attention

Why is the church fighting so hard to show our faith in Christ? Other religions don't have that problem, it's a given, and they are still named Catholics, Methodists, Protestants...

13 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

I would imagine that plays into the reasoning for the church but Scott said it doesn't bother him if people use our name or we use theirs, let alone a nickname. I find that very surprising.

You missed my addendum in which I said I don’t approve of confusing inaccuracy on the part of media. 

2 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Why is the church fighting so hard to show our faith in Christ? Other religions don't have that problem, it's a given, and they are still named Catholics, Methodists, Protestants...

I suppose it’s due in part to the false statements by many that the Church of Jesus Christ is not a Christian faith. 

Furthermore, as I have repeatedly pointed out, Christ Himself commanded that His Church be called by His name. 

6 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

That’s not what I meant. I think you understand that. 

So please be more clear.  What specific year and event noted the end of the church's formative period?  Was at 1978 when OD2 was revealed in General Conference, or 1981 when it was added to doctrine and covenants?  Or earlier?

8 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Furthermore, as I have repeatedly pointed out, Christ Himself commanded that His Church be called by His name. 

Is that part in bold somewhere in the New Testament?  Is there actually a record of this command (or even where Christ made a reference to "His Church")? (Honest question....)

Edited by ALarson
20 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

According to the guideline, you can shorten it to "the Church of Jesus Christ."

That name is already taken:

http://www.thechurchofjesuschrist.org/

I guess this means the succession through William Bickerton/Sidney Rigdon was actually the real church - I mean they got their name sorted out faster than the "B.Young church"...

If I were a member of the original "the Church of Jesus Christ" I would be taking the Mormon church to court right now over using a name that was already taken.

Edited by changed