clarkgoble

Horses in the Book of Mormon

I wonder why the Spaniards were in the habit of spending resources to bring horses to the Americas and then release them willy-nilly into whatever landscape was available. Horses were a weapon. One keeps close contact with ones weapon. Otherwise the enemy can get hold of it and use it against you, especially one that has been already broke and trained. Sure some might escape or be chased off by the natives. Jaguars would likely find them delicious. Does anyone know of Spanish chronicles that speak of how their  horses faired in the Americas?  

1 hour ago, PacMan said:

Sorry, no.  The argument is that the BoM is false because it mentions horses, which critics argue did not exist during BoM times.  This is the critics' argument (not mine), so they bear the burden of proof.  As I've shown, they cannot conclude that horses did not exist in Americas during BoM due to the Curly horse, which, at best (for them), science cannot conclude where they came from.

Now, if my argument were that the BoM was true because horses existed pre-Columbian, then I would hold that burden of proof.  But I wouldn't make such a stupid argument in the first place because the veracity of the BoM has virtually nothing to do with horses, whatsoever.

The problem here is you keep claiming that it is "the critic argument" that horses did not exist during BoM times, and while this may be exactly what some critics are saying, it is also exactly what pretty much the scientific consensus is also saying. This isn't "the critics' argument as you are trying to paint it. It is everybody's belief (outside of a LDS belief) that there were none. 

I wonder what reaction you would get from a Meso-american anthropologist when you told him that since Curly horses were there in the early 1800's that must mean they were there all along, even though there is no physical evidence for them before Columbus, especially after you told him they were a known breed in Europe?

Edited by CA Steve

7 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

I wonder why the Spaniards were in the habit of spending resources to bring horses to the Americas and then release them willy-nilly into whatever landscape was available. Horses were a weapon. One keeps close contact with ones weapon. Otherwise the enemy can get hold of it and use it against you, especially one that has been already broke and trained. Sure some might escape or be chased off by the natives. Jaguars would likely find them delicious. Does anyone know of Spanish chronicles that speak of how their  horses faired in the Americas?  

Pretty much everywhere horses have been introduced, wild herds have developed from horses that escaped or were driven off by natives.