churchistrue

Elder Pearson at FairMormon

I posted this in the sticky thread above, but I think people don't notice the comment updates to those threads.

Very interesting that Elder Pearson is speaking at FairMormon. What's the background on that? Any teasers on the subject matter? Has a GA ever spoken at FairMormon before?

ELDER KEVIN PEARSON

Pearson-e1527246050713-150x150.jpgElder Kevin W. Pearson was sustained as a General Authority Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on April 5, 2008. At the time of his call, he had been serving as the president of the Washington Tacoma Mission. He previously served as a counselor in the Europe East Area, President of the Pacific Area, and as an assistant executive director of the Missionary Department. He is currently serving at Church headquarters as an area assistant with the North America Southwest Area. Elder Pearson also serves on the Communication Services Committee and Strengthening Church Members Committee.

Elder Pearson received a bachelor of science degree in finance from the University of Utah in 1981. In 1983 he received a master’s degree in business administration in corporate finance from Harvard Business School. Prior to his call as a mission president, he was working as the chief executive officer at Ingenix, Inc.

Elder Pearson has served in a number of Church callings, including full-time missionary in the Finland Helsinki Mission, stake missionary, elders quorum president, ward Young Men president, high councilor, counselor in a bishopric, bishop, and mission president.

Kevin Wayne Pearson was born in Salt Lake City, Utah, on April 10, 1957. He married June Langeland in June 1980. They are the parents of six children.

Presentation: A Sacred and Imperative Duty

• Like 1

Does anyone have any inside info they can share how this came about? Very cool.

1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Is this yet another presentation about hunger strikes and speaking out against lying GAs?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CV75 said:

3 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Is this yet another presentation about hunger strikes and speaking out against lying GAs?

Sounds more like a speech about the BSA Duty to God award.

Edited by Robert F. Smith

Elder Pearson also serves on the Communication Services Committee and Strengthening Church Members Committee.

Pretty sure I've never seen that in a GA bio before.

• Like 2

Just now, Nevo said:

Any chance he gets into what that committee does or address rumors that it monitors certain Exmormons or high profile members that are criticizing the brethren online? 

Unless Scott Gordon comments, I guess I am probably the "inside person" for FM for the board these days....sorry, no teasers yet.  I have never been part of the conference committee, so I don't know how much upfront info is usually shared about talks...but I suspect in this case it is "talk about whatever you want, though if it has something to do with apologetics that would be even better". 😛

• Like 2

Probably best way to keep up on developments is to hang out on our FB page.

I won't likely be able to even attend the afternoon tomorrow as something has come up with my mom.  Plus I am nonfunctional in the mornings usually anyway unless I haven't gone to sleep the night before.

So others will need to post developments if you want them in a timely manner.

https://www.facebook.com/fairmormon/

Remember walkins are welcomed if you won't be sure you can attend until the last minute like me...and don't forget the streaming!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Sounds more like a speech about the BSA Duty to God award.

So it really is "apologetic" :)

• Like 2

I have heard rave reviews of the Wed session of FairMormon, which I did not attend.  Just finished the Thurs session, and was gratified to find nearly all the papers very good, even if I disagreed with them.  Looking forward to tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 5:12 PM, Nevo said:

Same with Harvard finance graduate degrees . . . 

I’ve not seen any commentary here yet on the speech itself, but I found it to be highly significant. Elder Pearson stated unequivocally that “independent voices” (and he specifically cited FairMormon) are needed to augment the Church’s own efforts in spreading the gospel message. He said that while the Church’s messages may seem more polished and professional, the “independent voices” will be viewed as being more authentic. I thought that quite an acknowledgement for a Church leader to make. 

And one more thing of great import: In response to a question from the audience, he declared without equivocation that he was appearing at the conference on assignment from the Church. 

• Like 2

Every member a blogger or Everyone have their own Youtube Channel.   That could be dangerous. I have commented in many videos submitted by Trumpsters. The internet is so valuable in searching and posting evidence to support ones view. I remember how easy it was to find evidence that  most of the red states were  among the poorest and the wealthiest were blue states. In discussing the historicity of the early OT one can find plenty of youtube videos by Enns Finkelstein and Dever. Do a search "Mormon Critics" and most of the first page list apologetic sites. Must be some clever IT people among the LDS.

23 minutes ago, aussieguy55 said:

Every member a blogger or Everyone have their own Youtube Channel.   That could be dangerous. I have commented in many videos submitted by Trumpsters. The internet is so valuable in searching and posting evidence to support ones view. I remember how easy it was to find evidence that  most of the red states were  among the poorest and the wealthiest were blue states. In discussing the historicity of the early OT one can find plenty of youtube videos by Enns Finkelstein and Dever. Do a search "Mormon Critics" and most of the first page list apologetic sites. Must be some clever IT people among the LDS.

Could it be that “Mormon critics” do not refer to themselves as critics when they make their attacks? 

Regarding poverty in red states, I’m reminded that Abraham Lincoln reportedly said God must have loved poor people because he made so many of them. 

I thought poverty would be more caused by the policies of Governments who move money upwards.