Seriously No Politics ×

Former Bishop Hunger Strike for Youth Interview Policy Change

1 hour ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Jeanne,

I'm super intrigued by this question but I have no idea what it means. I suspect there's a joke I'm missing.

It is a kind of trick question for someone like Scott...who I love..but is so picky.  My wise husband once said...why would you need a water heater to heat hot water?

6 hours ago, Gray said:

In many ways the church is like a temporary holding place until the Old Testament model is realized again - that is, the people of God as a nation-state (ie Zion)

In the LDS church, the prophet is actually more like the king of Israel than he is like the OT prophets, in the sense that the prophet is the leader of "Zion", like the ancient kings were. Elijah went against King Ahab and called him to repent.

That's so true. Prophet, Priest and King have been combined into one. Elder Nelson functions as a Prophet, as a Chief High Priest, and as a King. There are no checks and balances in the system. None. 

5 minutes ago, Abulafia said:

That's so true. Prophet, Priest and King have been combined into one. Elder [sic] Nelson functions as a Prophet, as a Chief High Priest, and as a King. There are no checks and balances in the system. None. 

You’re talking jibberish. Where, in everyday discourse in the Church has he ever been referred to as a king? 

6 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

CFR

"The kings of Israel and Judah were believed to serve as Yhwh’s agents to rule the nation"

Russell M Nelson functions as the *President*, the figurehead, the leader of what the church self-identifies as the Kingdom of God on earth. He is, in effect, the King.

Russell M Nelson functions as the Chief High Priest.

Russell M Nelson functions as *the* Prophet.

In Israel those functions were separate. 

Just now, Abulafia said:

"The kings of Israel and Judah were believed to serve as Yhwh’s agents to rule the nation"

Russell M Nelson functions as the *President*, the figurehead, the leader of what the church self-identifies as the Kingdom of God on earth. He is, in effect, the King.

So President Nelson sends men off to war, etc?

1 hour ago, Abulafia said:

Except the kingdom of God has one king Jesus Christ. That’s why it’s the kingdom of God. Not the kingdom of President Nelson

13 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

Except the kingdom of God has one king Jesus Christ. That’s why it’s the kingdom of God. Not the kingdom of President Nelson

*President* may be a more subtle term, but Joseph Smith himself was declared a prophet, priest and king. So I'm not sure that what I am pointing out is really that controversial. 

"The organization of the kingdom of God on the 11th March last is one important event. This organization was called the council of fifty or kingdom of God and was titled by revelation as follows, ‘Verily thus saith the Lord, this is the name by which you shall be called, the kingdom of god and his law, with the keys and power thereof and judgments in the hands of his servants Ahman Christ.' In this council was the plan arranged for supporting president Joseph Smith as a candidate for the presidency of the U.S. Prest. Joseph was the standing chairman of the council and myself the clerk. In this council was also devised the plan of establishing an immigration to Texas and plans laid for the exaltation of a standard and ensign of truths for the nations of the earth. In this council was the plan devised to restore the Ancients to the knowledge of the truth and the restoration of union and peace amongst ourselves. In this council was prest. Joseph chosen as our prophet Priest, & King by Hosannas. In this council was the principles of eternal truths rolled forth to the hearers without reserve and the hearts of the servants of God made to rejoice exceedingly."

William Clayton Journal, 1 January 1845, D. Michael Quinn Papers.